Page 1 of 2
Posted: 16 Sep 2008, 03:03
human
hi,
can i just ask you guys, is there an installer on the market nowadays like that rst stuff was a while ago, i need to know if there is a util that makes using custom models (*.m files) on custom tracks possible by a handy operation instead of doing backups and redoing them manually,
cheers

Posted: 16 Sep 2008, 03:40
Adamodell
human @ Sep 15 2008, 10:33 PM wrote: hi,
can i just ask you guys, is there an installer on the market nowadays like that rst stuff was a while ago, i need to know if there is a util that makes using custom models (*.m files) on custom tracks possible by a handy operation instead of doing backups and redoing them manually,
cheers
I don't believe there is anything other than what you just mentioned to do that. Of course, I may be wrong.

Posted: 16 Sep 2008, 10:49
urnemanden
rst's Phoenix R3 does it when you choose the track, but i don't believe that he has made an installer for all who don't have phoenix. Try batch or something like that. ;)

Posted: 16 Sep 2008, 15:09
Crone94
I dont think there have been made an installer for that, other than rst's..

Posted: 16 Sep 2008, 22:12
arto
Darksabre's track installer was the first one... it's the one that was used to pack those tracks in that french site, Re-Volt Tip Top.

Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 01:30
human
thanks guys,
well, what i really need is something that helps to install/uninstall custom models for a custom track. its not really installing, one just needs to backup original .m files and replace them with the custom one, its dead easy, but it needs to be done every single time manually, otherwise the same models may look odd on other tracks (like planets on museum) and im just not sure that all the players can be bothered doing it just for having nice effects on a custom track.
the thing is that im making a track and have already done some custom models and i was wondering if there is a clever util that makes it easier for newbies and less hassle for everybody. otherwise i will just enclose the .m files in the zip and advanced users will decide whether it is worth putting in each time (or keeping it installed) or not.

Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 01:39
human
oops sorry, are you saying arto that darksabre's util could do this work, install tracks with all the custom models and uninstall them when it is needed, while keeping original models and putting them back?

Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 07:47
zagames
Perhaps we should resort back to intimidating batch files...

Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 18:30
Crone94
human @ Sep 16 2008, 09:09 PM wrote: oops sorry, are you saying arto that darksabre's util could do this work, install tracks with all the custom models and uninstall them when it is needed, while keeping original models and putting them back?
Darksabre's installer only installs tracks, not custom models :)

Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 23:34
human
ok then, thanks for replies,
what do you mean zach?

Posted: 18 Sep 2008, 08:43
zagames
include a folder and two batch files with the track. The folder would include the original models. The custom models could be in another folder or in the track directory. Write a .bat file to copy the custom models into the model directory. Write another .bat file to copy the original models to the model directory. That's about it. Unless you just want to have the .bat files move the original files to a different folder and then copy the customs to the model directory.

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 03:40
human
sounds good.
i need to check how to write a bat file, because i dont know whether it is eaten or drunk.
if it was too difficult to understand i will let you know and will probably ask you to write one for me,
cheers

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 05:30
human
sorry for double posting but
does that mean that if i made a skin for toyeca that suits the atmosphere of the track, it could be put in and taken out from the track by the same way?

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 06:06
zagames
Yes it does. It opens up many possibilities.

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 15:03
Crone94
You have to do it manually though, by clicking on it

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 16:15
human
yes but would be still a bit more user friendly than the usual manual operation, i could name the .bat files i guess like "install custom models", "uninstall custom models", "install toyeca skin" and so on, and less chance for making mistakes and loosing files.

can we create custom icons for .bat files?

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 18:07
urnemanden
Yes it is possible to change the icon, but then you need a bat2exe compiling program, that can include an icon, Like this one.

Hope you figure it out Human! ;)

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 19:42
human
fine, world is working.
so i can have handy exe files with pretty icons that actually install and uninstall custom features like models and skins. people only have to look up the track folder they are in and click on them. that should be ok.

Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 22:36
Crone94
Good you figured it out :)

Do i dare to ask if your working on anything revolt related? ;)

Posted: 20 Sep 2008, 00:33
arto
RST's installer can do stuff like you want automatically. At least he had one installer like that.

Posted: 20 Sep 2008, 02:37
Crone94
arto @ Sep 19 2008, 08:03 PM wrote: RST's installer can do stuff like you want automatically. At least he had one installer like that.
Nowadays this installer have developed into a little program called Phoenix R3 :)

Posted: 20 Sep 2008, 06:24
human
of course i know about phoenix, but for some reasons i am looking for another solution.

Posted: 20 Sep 2008, 06:41
Adamodell
human @ Sep 20 2008, 01:54 AM wrote: of course i know about phoenix, but for some reasons i am looking for another solution.
I understood what you were trying to say the first time but I didn't wanna burn everyone about how they didn't realize that.

A couple of the non-English speaking communities seem to have their own installers, but if you are looking for something with Phoenix R3-like abilities, only Phoenix R3 can do that (sadly...)

The batch solution is best for those who can't care to get R3 or anything else of the sort, Skitch was able to make uninstallable custom models for his track work quite decently with a simple set of batch files.

Well, that's the best I can do anyway.

Posted: 20 Sep 2008, 07:49
zagames
Yes, however not even RST's Phoenix could do the things that batch files can. His version was just a little more user friendly.

Posted: 20 Sep 2008, 23:55
human
Do i dare to ask if your working on anything revolt related?
yes crone, i am working on a track. i have some ideas for custom models that can add a lot, i think, if they are well done.
Skitch was able to make uninstallable custom models for his track work quite decently with a simple set of batch files.
which track are you thinking of adam?

batch files will do what i want i think, although, i have just read on rvtz that somebody was complaining about exe files in a track folder that have been seen as viruses by an antivirus, so if i might just leave them as bat files, or maybe ill convert them to exe, so they can have nice and easy to recognize icons, but in this case ill need to emphasize in the readme that they are safe.

Posted: 20 Sep 2008, 23:58
Adamodell
human @ Sep 20 2008, 07:25 PM wrote:
Skitch was able to make uninstallable custom models for his track work quite decently with a simple set of batch files.
which track are you thinking of adam?

batch files will do what i want i think, although, i have just read on rvtz that somebody was complaining about exe files in a track folder that have been seen as viruses by an antivirus, so if i might just leave them as bat files, or maybe ill convert them to exe, so they can have nice and easy to recognize icons, but in this case ill need to emphasize in the readme that they are safe.
Fools Mate 2. You obviously can't make it automatic in batch, you have to click them by hand before launching Re-Volt, or maybe while it is running if you Windows-button it out.

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 00:26
human
i have just checked out the bat file in mate2,
i have never written anything like that but should be not too hard to learn the basics.

can we not make custom icons for bat files? i dont really want newbies to be in doubt because of an overzealous antivirus that suspects exe files.

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 01:21
Adamodell
human @ Sep 20 2008, 07:56 PM wrote: i have just checked out the bat file in mate2,
i have never written anything like that but should be not too hard to learn the basics.

can we not make custom icons for bat files? i dont really want newbies to be in doubt because of an overzealous antivirus that suspects exe files.
Not to my knowledge. Do you have to have an icon?

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 02:45
Crone94
Glad to hear your working :)

It should be possible to make an icon, just make the icon and convert it into a .ico file

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 02:52
human
it would be cool :)
easier to work with, especially for beginners.
the whole package could be a bit more user friendly.

crone already explained how to create icons for exe files compiled from bat files, but exe files are suspicious for some applications, and i just want to make sure that everything goes smoothly with installing and playing the track.

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 02:56
human
oops, i missed your comment crone, it was posted while i was typing.
yes, i can create an ico file but i cannot use it for a bat, only for an exe i think.
by the way the little util you suggested for compiling is quite good, simple and does all i want, thanks.

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 03:02
Adamodell
human @ Sep 20 2008, 10:22 PM wrote: it would be cool :)
easier to work with, especially for beginners.
the whole package could be a bit more user friendly.

crone already explained how to create icons for exe files compiled from bat files, but exe files are suspicious for some applications, and i just want to make sure that everything goes smoothly with installing and playing the track.
I've had tons of problems with bat2exe stuff.

False trojans all the time! lol

Re-Volt Portable even sports this awesome problem.

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 12:57
urnemanden
I never had thoose problems. kinda weird, but i don't think there is any other solution, other than if you make a folder where the bat files are, and then make a shortcut for them so you can have an icon.

I will recommend you to use This program to convert/make the icons. It has a really good Interface, and it supports Transperancy and custom sizes.
;)

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 13:24
Skitch2
Hey Guys, the only problem with batch files is the fact that players only use them like.. once and then never bother again lol.

I had new models for almost all of my tracks in including the one I am on now but until one of you clever lot make an easier solution to this wee problem ill make static instances. I would love for a tool to come out that lets you add custom sound,models and all that jazz so lets just hope hey?

I am making a very colourful track this time human and I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

So all we need is to have a little tool running in the background somewhere that knows when you are loading a custom track and replaces the models acordingly and back again while loading the frontend ok. So come on peeps us old school track designers will make the maps and some of you make the new tool lol. (nudges ali)
Mike....

Posted: 21 Sep 2008, 13:39
Crone94
Skitch2 @ Sep 21 2008, 08:54 AM wrote: Hey Guys, the only problem with batch files is the fact that players only use them like.. once and then never bother again lol.

I had new models for almost all of my tracks in including the one I am on now but until one of you clever lot make an easier solution to this wee problem ill make static instances. I would love for a tool to come out that lets you add custom sound,models and all that jazz so lets just hope hey?

I am making a very colourful track this time human and I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

So all we need is to have a little tool running in the background somewhere that knows when you are loading a custom track and replaces the models acordingly and back again while loading the frontend ok. So come on peeps us old school track designers will make the maps and some of you make the new tool lol. (nudges ali)
Mike....
You couldnt have been more correct, lol, the main problem is that people (i know i would) would be too lazy to have the things installed.

What your guys is refering to is basicly phoenix r3. Does exactly that.
I can see we might have to come up with some other programs since we arent gonna get phoenix

Posted: 23 Sep 2008, 06:06
human
i agree with you skitch,
a wee handy tool would be nice to have, custom stuff add a lot.

about my track thats being done, i wouldnt call it colorful, im having a kinda black&white period, its not monochrom, but all about greyish tones. can be an interesting contrast to your colors if released in the same time.

Posted: 23 Sep 2008, 16:35
Skitch2
Twood indeed dude.
Alas. The Vizzing job on mine is gonna be a real pig and i am hoping to get into it tomorrow if i can so i am looking like a next Sunday release.
We shall see.
Your track now has my attention dude as i am already into a track based in the 1920s i was going along the sepia tonal lines lol.
Wish we could utilize the effect Acclaim used at the end of Re-Volt lol. Ho Hum, yet another thing this game could offer, it just don't quit.
Mike....

P.S Whats with this R3 thinggy then and why cant we use it? Is it one of rst stoopid kiddie thing where he wont let us have it?

Posted: 23 Sep 2008, 23:40
Crone94
P.S  Whats with this R3 thinggy then and why cant we use it?
I think you have met rst before, lol, you gotta be at the RRR and do some stuff to get it.
Is it one of rst stoopid kiddie thing where he wont let us have it?
Basicly, yea it is

Posted: 23 Sep 2008, 23:57
human
i am looking like a next Sunday release.
that is very soon. mine is coming much slower, but getting there.
i am already into a track based in the 1920s i was going along the sepia tonal lines lol
thats interesting. sounds good to me.
Wish we could utilize the effect Acclaim used at the end of Re-Volt lol. Ho Hum, yet another thing this game could offer, it just don't quit.
can you re-phrase this, low level of english here :(
Whats with this R3 thinggy then and why cant we use it? Is it one of rst stoopid kiddie thing where he wont let us have it?
lol, sort of. i dont thing he would not let me use it if i asked for it, but i want something thats available for anybody in revolt city.

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 00:00
human
lol crone,
you keep on posting in the same time than me, but a bit earlier.
i keep on missing your comment as im typing when its posted :)

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 05:56
Manmountain
Skitch2 @ Sep 23 2008, 12:05 PM wrote:P.S  Whats with this R3 thinggy then and why cant we use it? Is it one of rst stoopid kiddie thing where he wont let us have it?
Err... well... yes!... sort of :D

RST single handedly (that I know) has developed this tool/program to utilise the best parts of the RV engine for personal individual use but without deconstructing or destroying the original RV game and layout.

The problem is that RST strongly feels his work requires specific recognition and is only available to those who frequent the RRR forum and adhere to his rules and regulations.
I'm not sure, but I think the program needs to be updated on a regular schedual.

I think most of us by now know what RST is about and how he likes to do things, I don't think we really need to go down this road again. :rolleyes:
Go to RRR (if you can get there) register and try and see what all the hub-bub is about.

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 06:19
zagames
Anyone with a newer version of his phoenix program could probably modify it via hex editor or other tool and remove these limitations. I, however, have no idea what to do.

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 11:23
Crone94
yea probably, not gonna do that though, would be like stealing

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 14:11
Skitch2
Ok, So we know that its possible to do yea? So we need to look into making another one ( Mike screams for ali yet again!!) ali was about here the other day, now he's bogged off lol.

Yea I wouldn't want to go down the RRR road again but hey dun it pee you off just a tad lol?
Mike....

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 15:10
Crone94
Skitch2 @ Sep 24 2008, 09:41 AM wrote: Ok, So we know that its possible to do yea? So we need to look into making another one ( Mike screams for ali yet again!!) ali was about here the other day, now he's bogged off lol.

Yea I wouldn't want to go down the RRR road again but hey dun it pee you off just a tad lol?
Mike....
Yea it does sometimes, but there's nice people at RRR and the projects going on there are great, could have been greater if he loosened up his grip around them a little bit ;)

I wonder if ali is gone again...

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 20:01
Skitch2
So there are people and projects going on over at RRR and they are not going to merge with the community? sounds a bit odd if you ask me.
Did'nt even think RRR was still running lol.

Posted: 24 Sep 2008, 21:34
Crone94
So there are people and projects going on over at RRR and they are not going to merge with the community? sounds a bit odd if you ask me.
It is odd, cant say that anything against that.
Did'nt even think RRR was still running lol.
It is still running, not much happened the last few days though

Posted: 25 Sep 2008, 00:10
human
well, if rst wants to keep it for people who he prefers, its fine, he knows. this topic was not intended to blame him for what he is like.
as for me, i consider myself to be a part of a community, so i want my work to be available for anybody. if i designed my track based on phoenix's abilities, a good number of folks could not enjoy the extra features, so im going for something simple standard solution, like batch files, unless somebody creates something similar to phoenix, of course. to be honest i dont think it was difficult to create a similar program for anybody who is into programing, needed some time of course. its a shame that its all greek to me, so im hopeless in this, would take too much time for me even learning it.

Posted: 25 Sep 2008, 01:08
urnemanden
well, rst use 3-4 years on it and still not finished it, so i don't think you can make something like phoenix r3. Of course if you could wait that time, then there might be something looking like in 2011 or 2012 :P

Posted: 25 Sep 2008, 01:40
human
if he could not finish it in 3-4 years, that can mean a few number of things, but certainly not that it could not be done quicker :)