Page 1 of 1
Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 07:14
revolt_randy
I was surfing around the net, and you know how that goes, looking for something and you get sidetracked. Anyway, inspiration hit me and I have an idea for a new car... It will be an open-wheel r/c buggy kind of car. So I am looking for information on how to make one. I know how to model the body.prm and wheel.prm parts. The spring.prm, axle.prm, and pin.prm should be easy to model as well.

The gray area for me is how these are defined in the parameters.txt file. Common sense tells me that the axle's offset would be from the body, and it appears the wheel's offset is from the body as well. But the spring and pin offsets confuse me a bit. Is the spring offset from where the axle is connected to the body, or the junction of spring/wheel/axle? The pin offset is 0.0000, so it's centered with the spring, simple. What about the angle of the spring/pin? How to adjust the angle to match the design of my car and the axle lengths? Do the stiffness and damping settings affect anything? And the springs have a restitution setting, I know what restitution is, don't see how it relates to a spring. Is restitution a possible UK/USA english translation thing? After all, when it comes to suspension, I know what dampening is, but not sure what damping is, I assume it's the same thing....

So if anyone happens the know the answers I would really welcome the help, it would save me hours of trial and error. If not, I'll figure it out, just wanted to save myself some frustration.

Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 07:20
Adamodell
Are you the second coming of Iron Bob or am I just high?

Speaking of Iron Bob, he is THE guy you are looking for when it comes to help on that, but I haven't seen him 'round these parts in forever.