Page 1 of 1
Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 09:17
Aeon
Top Speed, Acceleration and Weight can all be calculated easily. But Handling is an empirical value, for the most part. Its a combination of how easily the car turns, whether or not it suffers from oversteer or understeer, how it fares on unstable roads, whether it stays on course or not, etc...

But, I have my car pics setup to display all four values, and I'm not really sure how I should determine which cars have better handling, other than rating them from 1 to 10 or something.

Any ideas?

Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 09:26
Adamodell
I always thought grip was the most important factor. Setting a car at rear-wheel drive (most of my latest conversions) makes what I consider "handling" horrible and only modifying tire grip and some COM values can I fix this. I've pretty much gave up in achieving perfect handling anyway, because I like imperfections.

Steering speed shouln't be that much of an effect on you calculations unless it is a really low value that makes the car immobile in tight places.

Mass and a high COM should also be accounted for in handling, because a high COM will allow the car to flip over more easily and mass will have a negative effect on everything from what I've seen.

But I'm not a parameter whiz, so this is the best I could do.

Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 16:18
Manmountain
Because handling is dependent on personal preferences and from what aspect (either realistic or toy like RC), it is hard to say where a point of reference should start.

As the graphics relate to your personal view of what scaled realistic handling should be then just state that in the readme. Then everyone knows that your cars all have the same starting point for disrciption of handling and should not be compared to other cars.
Now if you want to compare your cars to all the others then where do we start a point of reference ?

Does that make any sense to you ?