Page 1 of 1
Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 09:35
Adamodell
With all the sources of the theming available, I really wonder why no one has gone about it. I'd personally like to see a dark black theme with blue text, but that might be too much.

Another possibility could be Zach's style with the Re-Volt style menu items, but that might be harder to implement.

I'd really like to make a theme myself, but I'm not the best at CSS. I'd like to make a modern, minimalistic black theme that has bright enough text to be rid of readability issues, but look moderately cool on screen. I could possibly make the textures, but I don't know much about CSS so any help/ideas/suggestions are appreciated. This my be the thread for Zach to reply to.

Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 11:56
arto
Thanks Ada, I'll correct that (soon). It'd be nice to see more CSS styles for RVZT for sure. I'd do myself one more but I'm crap with graphics and too short on time. So if anyone has inclination to do one, please send it to me and I'll add it to RVZT.

Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 22:45
Manmountain
Excuse my ignorance but what are CSS ?
I have seen the link's at RVZT but have no idea what they are for or how to utilise them. I have never thought that they may be of any use to me individually.
Is there a site or download with information on how to use them ?

Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 01:07
Adamodell
Manmountain @ Jul 25 2008, 06:15 PM wrote: Excuse my ignorance but what are CSS ?
I have seen the link's at RVZT but have no idea what they are for or how to utilise them. I have never thought that they may be of any use to me individually.
Is there a site or download with information on how to use them ?
I hope to God you aren't trying to be sarcastic...

Well, I'll take into account your age and not doubt that you are speaking the truth.

They are cascading style sheets, which are a way to apply styling to a website without the use HTML tagging, and also, makes it much easier to change the style on-the-fly because it is completely separate from the page layout.

I don't know the syntax good enough to do anything with it though. I'm lucky I got a working background on my forum lol.

Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 03:19
Manmountain
Adamodell @ Jul 25 2008, 08:37 PM wrote:They are cascading style sheets, which are a way to apply styling to a website without the use HTML tagging, and also, makes it much easier to change the style on-the-fly because it is completely separate from the page layout.
What ?

That was just a load of gobble-de-guke to me. :blink:

Yes, it must be my age. :(
I honestly don't have a clue. :unsure:

Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 03:48
Adamodell
And maybe arto can explain... *yawn*

Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 04:22
zagames
His age? lol. CSS = Cascading Style Sheets. It is basically a text file with a .css extension. When writing HTML, you can "import" the document into your code. CSS is useful if you have a website set up where every page should have nearly identical graphics. Instead of writing <body background='blah.jpg' text='#FFFFFF' link='#...' alink='#...' vlink='#...' ........> on every page, you can simply write <body> and set the page to use your CSS file. The CSS file could look something like this:

Code: Select all

BODY{background&#58;url&#40;'blah.jpg'&#41;;color&#58;#FFFFFF;}
A{color&#58;#...;}
A.hover{color&#58;#...;}
A.visited{color&#58;#...;}
And so on and so forth. I don't know any good sites. Will reply with more after dinner.

Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 04:35
Manmountain
lol
You started so well then rambled on as if I new about HTML. :o

Don't worry yourselves over it, it's not like I am missing out on anything really important, I just thought someone could just explain their use and show implementation of them.

Thank's guy's :D

Posted: 25 Sep 2008, 23:08
human
It'd be nice to see more CSS styles for RVZT for sure. I'd do myself one more but I'm crap with graphics and too short on time. So if anyone has inclination to do one, please send it to me and I'll add it to RVZT.
hey arto,
i would try to make a sheet, but i need you to explain how to do it, if thats ok.

Posted: 26 Sep 2008, 17:16
urnemanden
So good. I just checked out the sheet, and i will create a new style for RVZT, because i think i can learn something of it to use on my own website. :)
After that i will create a tutorial of how to create and enable CSS Stylesheets.

Posted: 26 Sep 2008, 20:19
Skitch2
LMAO MM you and me both must be passed it!
Took me 3 hours to work out how avitars work lol.

Posted: 26 Sep 2008, 23:18
arto
human @ Sep 25 2008, 06:38 PM wrote:
It'd be nice to see more CSS styles for RVZT for sure. I'd do myself one more but I'm crap with graphics and too short on time. So if anyone has inclination to do one, please send it to me and I'll add it to RVZT.
hey arto,
i would try to make a sheet, but i need you to explain how to do it, if thats ok.
Of course human,

I'd be very interested to see what you could come up with (applies also to urne). I'm not sure where you need help so tell me how I can get help you get started.

The basic info is here:

http://revolt.speedweek.net/main/creating_styles.php

To get people started I quickly created a little start packet that you can download to your computer and start editing:

http://revolt.speedweek.net/dload/misc/ ... mplate.zip

Extract it somewhere. It includes the correct directory structure, one example html file and the css file. Just open in your browser example_html/comments.html. You will see one of RVZT's pages in your browser. Then go to directory styles/user001 (yes, an inside joke to track editors). This is your "playground" where all your files will reside. The rvztstyle.css is the basic file that you will edit, and you must not change it's name. Every other file in there is something that is referenced from rvztstyle.css and you are free to name them however you like and use as many pictures as you want.

When you change stuff in rvztstyle.css just refresh your browser to see how the comments.html file looks like after your changes.

That's the crash course to getting started. Let me know if there's something specific you need to know.

Posted: 26 Sep 2008, 23:31
human
thats great, thanks arto,
i will go through it on the weekend, if i was stuck i will let you know.

Posted: 27 Sep 2008, 14:47
human
okidok, looks like html.
now, how can i have files like the one in the example folder. i would need to see how different pages look like, for instance pages with thumbnails of tracks on them.
cheers

Posted: 27 Sep 2008, 19:07
robenue
isnt it CSS?

Posted: 28 Sep 2008, 00:17
arto
human @ Sep 27 2008, 10:17 AM wrote: now, how can i have files like the one in the example folder. i would need to see how different pages look like, for instance pages with thumbnails of tracks on them.
cheers
Just go to the page you are interested in, and then use "Save Page As" (or Control+S, I'm assuming you're using Firefox 3 here). There should be a selection of how to save the page, select as "HTML only" or something like that. Or you can use "View page source" and copy paste the contents to a file.

Probably easiest is to save this file to the example_html directory. Now you need to modify the saved html to use your own css. Near the start of the html look for text like this:

<link href="../styles/new2/rvztstyle.css" rel="stylesheet" title="New (green)" type="text/css">

and change the part "../styles/new2/rvztstyle.css" to "../styles/user001/rvztstyle.css". Now you can test your stylesheet against that page.

Posted: 28 Sep 2008, 00:59
human
grand, cheers pal :)
ill do it. yes i use fox 3. and a black skin, quite nice.