Page 1 of 1
Posted: 11 Jul 2008, 21:22
Skitch2
Hey guys and gals.
Back in the day (1999) when i started editing for the game there were a few max users about that were running Max r3 . I had an idea to make a track called hull breach.
I found out that i could use the "instance mode" to maneuver instances made in max by other people and make a track out of them. Hull breach was the first that was made this way by me.
I am wondering why none of you are using this option? I find that making tracks this way is really rewarding.
I am not on about "KITTS" here I am on about Sheets of polygons textured to how you want them. Go into the editing mode in RV and fly about in Hull Breach 1 and see how i positioned the Instances to create the track.

I am going to release a pack containing different sized instances and i am also going to make a simple track using them.

OK So what am i asking of you lot then?
Well simply put, I want to throw up a bit of a competition to be judged by myself.
I will type a small tutorial when i have made the pack to walk you all through the setting up of the tracks folder which is going to be Garden1.
All of the instances will be textured using the garden theme and there will be no restrictions on what models or instances you bring in or use from other sources.

So if any of you are interested, the pack will probably arrive over at RVZT before the weekend is out.
If any help is needed in any way shape or form please ask in this post and i will help in any way i can.
Remember that this is all down to how creative you are and is easy enough to do even for a total beginner. The main skills that you will need is a knowledge of positioning of instances withing the Makeitgood cheat mode.

Full instructions will be included in a readme file in the Zip I send to arto.

The idea here is to try and get us with Max to aid the Peeps who aint got it make tracks that are not made with the editor. It also helps you get more advanced when it comes to using the makitgood modes like track zones and AI and the like.
So if you want to get a bit better with this form of art and also get RV buzzing along a bit better this may help in some level i hope.
I will bugger off now and start to get this idea going.

Mike....

Posted: 11 Jul 2008, 21:56
Adamodell
I might take a shot at it, but no guarantees.

I got a few more cars to release before I'm completely clean of my unfinished work.

Posted: 11 Jul 2008, 22:24
Skitch2
I am gonna wait for sum feedback before i go ahead so ill push it to next friday before i put the pack together.

Posted: 11 Jul 2008, 22:53
Adamodell
Well, yeah, make sure that people are gonna attempt to use the thing. I've released tons of stuff that I've only seen myself use, so I feel that they are lost causes (hey, at least I can enjoy them).

Hopefully someone beside me will see this, as it seems I'm the one hiding in the corner ready to post and everyone else is doing bigger and better things.

And maybe you should wait, as ya wanna make sure what ya release is as "perfect" as you can get it. Also, maybe you can get some ideas from the peeps and add some things you wouldn't think of adding before that.

Posted: 12 Jul 2008, 00:57
Aeon
Skitch2 @ Jul 11 2008, 07:52 AM wrote: I found out that i could use the "instance mode" to maneuver instances made in max by other people and make a track out of them. Hull breach was the first that was made this way by me.
I am wondering why none of you are using this option? I find that making tracks this way is really rewarding.
Because quite frankly I don't have a clue what that means. Maneuvering instances to make a track, but not using kit instances... So, what, forming shapes out of squares? I've never found any decent instances to make tracks with that weren't part of a kit.

Even then, most of the kits were severally limited.

Posted: 12 Jul 2008, 06:46
hilaire9
Good idea Skitch. I have found new All Instance track makers
have problems arranging prms so they are at right angles and
with no gaps between them.
There are no tutorials about doing this.
All I was ever told about this was: "Move in Camera mode and rotate in
World mode". After this it took enless hours of practice to be able
to align prms correctly. I though about writing a tutorial about all the
tricks I have learned about this, but found the job too hard.

Two Tips:
1) Use a bright FOGCOLOR (i use 200 0 200 -bright pink) so you can see the
tiny gaps between prms better.
2.) Fly around a junction of two prms at every angle to see the best postion
to make the little mouse moves to join them perfectly.

Posted: 12 Jul 2008, 11:40
Skitch2
Hi Hil.
Yea I think that the problem here is this. When this game was new we all really wanted to make our own tracks that looked as near to the stock ones as poss. But now it seems that the new track makers don't want to put the time or the effort into it. I don't mean that nastily or nothing but i spent blasting days and days making crap tracks and throwing them away before i learned how to position everything. I didn't have a tutorial i just asked people who knew like Spaceman and Ekla and the like until i got it right.
Ill make the pack anyway and we shall see who really wants to better there RV track making skills.

Posted: 12 Jul 2008, 12:18
Aeon
Out of curiosity, how many active players/developers were there back when you first started?

Posted: 12 Jul 2008, 16:58
PatS
Miike - I for one will look forward to your pack and tutorial. It seems as though the current forum needs some direction; I think you can help provide that. PatS :)

Posted: 12 Jul 2008, 17:02
Skitch2
@Aeon: Probably lots more than there are now, but i see no reason why the amount would matter.
Nice to hear from you PatS. I often try to pop back every so often to see if there are any advancements with track editing.
I see plenty of names over at throwbacks site and on RVZT that are still active and all we can do is hope that they get into track creation too.
Mike.....

Posted: 12 Jul 2008, 20:16
Adamodell
Well, I barely know how to use MAKEITGOOD. (see Toys in the Rainy Night for an example)

But, I suppose I could learn more.

Well, actually, I'm attempting track conversions, a cheap way to get new tracks in Re-Volt...

Pretty unsuccessful right now lol

Posted: 13 Jul 2008, 03:24
Dave-o-rama
I'M INTERESTED!!!!!!!!

I need something to do, so ill try this out.
So basically this is a sort of pack to start someone off with, and they can make a track with it, adding other stuff if they want to?

Posted: 14 Jul 2008, 11:17
Skitch2
Yea! It is an empty .w and a load of different sized sheets of polies (textured) and a few trees and stuff. Nothin major but enuff to make a simple track. The idea is to get more peeps into using the makeitgood cheat for track creation.
Mike....

Posted: 18 Jul 2008, 14:11
urnemanden
Im on portable using opera mini right now, but when i saw this topic i thought that i must reply.
@skitch2 i think it is a good idea, im not sure i can use it because im a going to use blender, gmax & zmodeler to make tracks, instances, etc. But i still think its a really good idea. ;)
@adamodell im actually going to convert tracks, i will make fake conversions from games like frogger etc. But
--------------------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------------------------------
Opera was messed up a bit. anyways, im home now so i can finish my sentence... :D

(But)...i need to finish all the other tracks i am making first. a new track from me will come this week :)

Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 02:14
Killer Wheels
Mmh, I'll check it out as soon as possible ! And maybe I'll make a little track with.

Well, to be honest, I don't think I'll have time to. But new instances packs are really welcome. Since Jimk's ORK and the warehouse one, there is a lack of creativity into last new tracks.

So just a big thx again :)

Posted: 04 Aug 2008, 00:42
PatS
I sure don't want this thread to get buried/forgotten!! I have been looking forward to downloading your starter pack since you initiated the posting weeks ago. Please don't let what you perceive as indifference keep you from releasing it. I appreciate the time and effort it has taken you in all that you have done for Re-Volt. Extreme maps are a lot of work and the silly criticisms that people post here just blow my mind. I'm absolutely sure that your pack will allow people the ability to start making extreme levels. Here's my vote in favor of using the new pack!! PatS :lol:

Posted: 16 Aug 2008, 02:18
PatS
Hey guys and gals.
Back in the day (1999) when i started editing for the game there were a few max users about that were running Max r3 . I had an idea to make a track called hull breach.
I found out that i could use the "instance mode" to maneuver instances made in max by other people and make a track out of them. Hull breach was the first that was made this way by me.
I am not on about "KITTS" here I am on about Sheets of polygons textured to how you want them. Go into the editing mode in RV and fly about in Hull Breach 1 and see how i positioned the Instances to create the track.

I am going to release a pack containing different sized instances and i am also going to make a simple track using them.

OK So what am i asking of you lot then?
Well simply put, I want to throw up a bit of a competition to be judged by myself.
I will type a small tutorial when i have made the pack to walk you all through the setting up of the tracks folder which is going to be Garden1.
All of the instances will be textured using the garden theme and there will be no restrictions on what models or instances you bring in or use from other sources.

So if any of you are interested, the pack will probably arrive over at RVZT before the weekend is out.
If any help is needed in any way shape or form please ask in this post and i will help in any way i can.
Remember that this is all down to how creative you are and is easy enough to do even for a total beginner. The main skills that you will need is a knowledge of positioning of instances withing the Makeitgood cheat mode.

Full instructions will be included in a readme file in the Zip I send to arto.

The idea here is to try and get us with Max to aid the Peeps who aint got it make tracks that are not made with the editor. It also helps you get more advanced when it comes to using the makitgood modes like track zones and AI and the like.
So if you want to get a bit better with this form of art and also get RV buzzing along a bit better this may help in some level i hope.
I will bugger off now and start to get this idea going.

Mike....

Mike, I don't understand why there is not a whole lot of interest in your garden pack. I have been anxiously waiting for the release of the pack for the past month. I have gotten many instances from other maps and am ready to begin a uniquely themed level using your instances. Come on guys, if you want to improve from a lego creator to an extreme track maker, let Skitch know with a short message here to support his efforts. It is obvious that Re-Volt needs a shot in the arm to revive it and this is a start. Skitch, please send in your pack for us to enjoy. Thanks. PatS

Posted: 16 Aug 2008, 03:37
urnemanden
I take it short then. I agree! ;)

Posted: 16 Aug 2008, 03:41
Crone94
First seen this topic now, no idea why, a new instance package would be really great, especially from someone who knew how to put a package like that together :)

Posted: 17 Aug 2008, 01:44
Dave-o-rama
I'm still interested in this pack.
I hope you release it... cuz i wanna make a track with it... and im bored.

Posted: 17 Aug 2008, 04:14
Manmountain
I can only hope that Mike know's that I am very interested in this instance pack, but as he has suggested, his work usually peaks in winter time, so I would guess there maybe a nice Christmas present for us all from mike ;) watch this space.
I beleive our patience will be greatly rewarded. :D

Posted: 27 Aug 2008, 20:53
piN
I would be intrested in this pack also, My son has been on at me to make a new track and this looks up my street so to speak, I was looking into doing somthing with the dirt track kit (?? think thats what its called)

Josh

Posted: 27 Aug 2008, 21:14
nero
I WANT THAT PACK!!!

Anyway,i am bored to... <_<
Well,i'll make a track with this as well soon if it's released. :D
I have the skills! :)

Posted: 29 Aug 2008, 04:12
Adamodell
Skitch, you know the right answer and you didn't act on it.

Although I cannot say this for myself, there are many young and aspiring track creators that would ABSOLUTELY love a new track kit/pack.

You are just limiting yourself by holding off because we couldn't meet your outrageously steep requirements to motivate you.

I mean, look all these comments over again.

People definitely want this. They don't want it to stay stationary on your hard drive. they want you to let that sucker loose!

Posted: 29 Aug 2008, 09:13
zagames
Seeing as he's been on lately, I think he's just too busy to release it at this time.

Posted: 30 Aug 2008, 01:53
Skitch2
"You are just limiting yourself by holding off because we couldn't meet your outrageously steep requirements to motivate you."

It is quotes like yours that make me not want to bother!

I love Re-Volt and it is always on my drive along with Max.
I am wanting to help out lots more but time is just impossable for me to find at the moment.
I am bodybuilding, Fighting , working on the doors of clubs at night as well as trying to keep my music and day job going so its dam hard to find any time for you guys but as MM says, winter is my time for RV and i will be working on stuff very soon.
My track "toyworld gone large" will be done real soon as it has been on my drive for 5 years taunting me to get it finished so that will be my first track out.

The Garden Track Kit is almost done so i will get it to you as soon as. But all this will be done when it gets done in the time i have free.

Shameless plugg!!
v v v v v v v v v v
www.youtube.com/araknerman

Posted: 30 Aug 2008, 02:23
Adamodell
Skitch2 @ Aug 29 2008, 09:23 PM wrote: "You are just limiting yourself by holding off because we couldn't meet your outrageously steep requirements to motivate you."

It is quotes like yours that make me not want to bother!

I love Re-Volt and it is always on my drive along with Max.
I am wanting to help out lots more but time is just impossable for me to find at the moment.
I am bodybuilding, Fighting , working on the doors of clubs at night as well as trying to keep my music and day job going so its dam hard to find any time for you guys but as MM says, winter is my time for RV and i will be working on stuff very soon.
My track "toyworld gone large" will be done real soon as it has been on my drive for 5 years taunting me to get it finished so that will be my first track out.

The Garden Track Kit is almost done so i will get it to you as soon as.  But all this will be done when it gets done in the time i have free.  

Shameless plugg!!
v v v v v v v v v v
www.youtube.com/araknerman
Skitch, that is exactly what I want to hear!
I don't care if you just burned me!
All I need to know is that you are making something, I don't care when it gets released. I'm not foaming at the mouth or anything... I was pretty much yelling about the below quote:
Skitch2 @ Aug 28 2008, 08:01 PM wrote: Didn't get the recommended response to make my pack worth while peeps sorry.
If it had more support i would have done it.
Any way byee for now.
Mike....
What does that mean?

Posted: 30 Aug 2008, 03:02
Manmountain
I would call that 'community spirit' rather than a group of debater's...
does that mean we'er a MASS of DEBATER'S ? lol :roflmao:

Posted: 30 Aug 2008, 14:22
Skitch2
lol!!

Posted: 30 Aug 2008, 14:38
urnemanden
HAHA MM! :lol:

Please continue your work. We love your tracks and you know it Skitch! :D

Posted: 30 Aug 2008, 19:53
Adamodell
Manmountain @ Aug 29 2008, 10:32 PM wrote: I would call that 'community spirit' rather than a group of debater's...
does that mean we'er a MASS of DEBATER'S ? lol :roflmao:
Somehow I didn't get the joke...

Posted: 31 Aug 2008, 01:02
hilaire9
Adam, repeat 'Mass Debaters' a few times in your head.

Posted: 31 Aug 2008, 19:04
zagames
Or Massde Baters. If you need even more help.

Posted: 31 Aug 2008, 19:16
hilaire9
hey zag, I don't think Adam needs any help, I am sure he is an
expert...like you and me.

Posted: 31 Aug 2008, 20:47
Adamodell
Well, I get it now. Make one word, take D and make it a T, and make de, der, then I SEE WHAT WE HAVE HERE!!11

Posted: 04 Sep 2008, 16:40
robenue
good to see you still here man.

Posted: 05 Sep 2008, 02:34
Adamodell
robenue @ Sep 4 2008, 12:10 PM wrote: good to see you still here man.
Same for you.