Page 1 of 1
Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 05:00
Adamodell
Repaints always look very unprofessional to me... things like aliasing and unsymmetrical texturing.

The reasons that these things happen are because they try to do repaints in a program that is not suited for the job, (i.e. Microsoft Paint) and cannot achieve layering effects and such because the program does not support it.

You can see my use of layers on the ZZII Medium, Pro, and F1 versions. Obviously I'm not the best at these things, but it's not skills limiting you, it is your program. For non-symmetrical, you can do something in Paint.NET like Copy, then you can move the selection to the other half, and then flip it horizontal or vertical depending on the situation.

I advise all you new repainters to try different paint programs to see what suits your needs the most. If you have tons of money and don't know where to spend it, get Photoshop. If you want a free program that is about as good, try GIMP.

If you want a program with slightly less features than GIMP, but a way easier interface, you may want to try Paint.NET, it's what I personally use on all my cars.

And don't forget about the awesomeness that is Paint Shop Pro, and it's a good alternative to the big boys, although it costs money as well.

So, try it out. Better paint programs will result in better repaints if you figure the programs out.

Here's the two I normally recommend because they are feature-packed and free...

http://www.gimp.org/
http://www.getpaint.net/

Also, maybe I could use this thread for questions as well. Maybe I could help you with these things.

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 05:27
Manmountain
MSpaint is more than good enough for great looking basic repaints, what you need is a good imagination and a possible slight artistic flare.
Yes, more advanced image manipulation programs offer loads more tools and techniques, but if you don't have any imagination then there worth squat!

I use Paint Shop Pro 4, which was free on the cover of a PC magazine some years ago, it has a screen capture feature as well as resampling rather than resizing. I will upload it to my site and provide a link in the next day or two. Not sure of it's compatability with XP or Vista ?

Let's be honest, some of your cars don't have the best of paint jobs, that's why we wait for Aeon's repaints. :P

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 05:33
Adamodell
Yeah, it'd be great to upload PSP 4.

I didn't say that you couldn't make a good repaint in MS Paint, but you are limited in what you can do. And yes, my cars are plain. But they aren't repaints, are they?

Real cars are plain. Repaints are like the "tuner" cars of the RV community.

Here's the lowdown on what you just said

Imagination+Skills+MS Paint=Pretty amazing for what you used
Imagination+No Skills+MS Paint=Horrid but unique
Imagination+Skills+GIMP=OMG
Imagination+No Skills+GIMP=Utter disease

That's my opinion on that... lol.

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 05:53
Manmountain
Adamodell @ Jun 29 2008, 01:03 AM wrote:And yes, my cars are plain. But they aren't repaints, are they?
Are they at least all your own original artwork ?
or have you just manipulated the original authors image during the conversion process ?

Imagination+any basic image program+careful thought(skill is not a requirement)=positive recognition B)

All singing all dancing image editor+numerous qualifications and skills-imagination=possible advice and suggestions being offered -_-

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 05:57
Aeon
Manmountain @ Jun 28 2008, 03:57 PM wrote: Let's be honest, some of your cars don't have the best of paint jobs, that's why we wait for Aeon's repaints. :P
Aeon's been fiddling with graphics for the last 16 years. Believe me, all the talent and artistic flare in the world won't help you if your graphics software sucks. Or you're stuck using GIMP. Actually that's kind of the same thing. Getting stuck with bad software while trying to do graphics makes me feels like my hands have been cut off.

Although I do admire people who do their pixel-by-pixel artwork in Paint, you can still do better work ten times faster with some decent tools.

I used to use PSP3, and while I think PSP7 is leaps and bounds better, PSP4 would sure be a better choice than Paint.

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 06:09
Adamodell
I just used GIMP as an example. I prefer PDN.

Anyway, we all know the ways to get PSP for free anyway... if ya know what I mean. The try before you buy without getting out of the "try" phase.

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 20:33
Manmountain
As promised... : PSP 4.15 SE
It is an .exe file download which may get your antivirus alarm bells ringing. :o

A simple tip to help with fine detail, create your image canvas at 512 X 512 pixel's then resample it to 256 X 256 when finished editing. ;)

You could use virtually any larger square sizes you wish as the game auto reads them, obviously larger images take up more mb space.

Posted: 29 Jun 2008, 20:40
Adamodell
I like how .EXE is capitalized. That either means it is old, or that it just wants to get your attention...

(edit: and thanks, obviously, also seems to work quite stable on XP SP2)

Posted: 30 Jun 2008, 04:40
revoltkid
i have psp 9
i want to upload it when i go to the library...but where can i upload it to
it is a large 185 mbs

Posted: 30 Jun 2008, 04:49
Adamodell
PSP 9!? No point, really.

Why people don't just use free programs, I don't know.

And we don't want you pirating stuff revoltkid, now do we?

Posted: 30 Jun 2008, 05:03
revoltkid
oh
i didn't know psp 4 was legal
well
i did steal psp 9 from my school
along w/ photoshop and jasc animation

Posted: 30 Jun 2008, 05:27
Adamodell
At least it was "properly" stolen...

As for PSP 4, I don't know where the legalities are. It came free with something. It's "SE" for "Special Edition" most likely.

Posted: 30 Jun 2008, 06:47
Aeon
Nevermind, I didn't see the additional posts.