Page 1 of 1
Posted: 26 Jun 2008, 01:35
Aeon

Edit: some more possibilities:

That's a list of 20 RC style cars that I've found at RVZT and Re-Volt Archive. I'd like to restrict the cars to open-wheel only, so the Mini Champ in there might get disqualified. I also haven't tested any of these cars to see how well they'd really work, or how well they fit together. But hopefully that only leaves about 8-9 cars left to fill an entire set of 28.

Of course, I'm sure some of the parameters might need to be modified. Iron Bob has a tendency to set his cars to run around at about 120mph. Doesn't quite fit with the original Re-Volt style, does it? I haven't checked to see which cars give permission to modify.

And there are lots of RC-style tracks to choose from to replace the originals. Its just a matter of exploring what's available and seeing what works best.

Anyone know where I can acquire another 8-9 open-wheel RC-cars from?

My only standards are: Open wheeled, not based on real-life cars, and no cockpits where you can see the driver inside. And it has to look decent and resemble a typical RC car. And NOT based on one of the original cars.

Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 01:44
Adamodell
How long did it take you to make that image?!

As for the idea, it's interesting and more Re-Volt-esque than the futuristic cars thing.

Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 02:28
Manmountain
This idea is something that Iron Bob was working on.
He was creating a whole new theme including new frontend graphics, he had created some totally new cars in same theme/idea Aeon has.

It was a while ago now, and I think the lack of external interest and limited personal input the idea has never really surfaced.

Try contacting him to see if he ever developed it further.

Posted: 27 Jun 2008, 02:49
Aeon
It only took me 10-15 minutes to gather all those pictures together.

I put a bunch of those cars together, but now I'm struck with the feeling that it might not be all that much fun in the end anyway. Plus, I'd have to wade through a huge mess of permissions and such preventing me from just having a clean, simple batch of cars and track like the original has.

One thing that does annoy me though is that I'm beginning to think that the developers of Re-Volt were relying on the difficulty of driving the cars in order to make this game challenging rather than providing some competent AI. If you crash your car enough, the AI can sometimes get ahead! And RC-style cars are somewhat easier to crash because they have high acceleration and overly responsive handling.

The futuristic cars were more fun to drive.

Anyway, if Iron Bob is making his own cars for this, then I don't really have much to offer since I haven't really mastered making RC-style cars and I don't have the ability to make RC-style tracks.

Posted: 01 Jul 2008, 19:17
Iron Bob
I have about 5 more RC style cars that are finished. And about 8 more that are unfinished. I also have 2 tracks that are about 70% finished. I hate to say it but I've pretty much lost interest in creating stuff for Revolt. Life has caught up to me. I still log in once and awhile, to see what is going on.

Posted: 03 Jul 2008, 12:38
Aeon
Iron Bob @ Jul 1 2008, 05:47 AM wrote: I have about 5 more RC style cars that are finished.  And about 8 more that are unfinished.    I also have 2 tracks that are about 70% finished.  I hate to say it but I've pretty much lost interest in creating stuff for Revolt.  Life has caught up to me.  I still log in once and awhile, to see what is going on.
If you get bored you can send some of your stuff to me. :P

By the way, would you object too terribly if I modified the params (and occasionally the size) for a bunch of your cars so that they work more in harmony with some of the low-end stock Re-Volt cars, as well as with each other?

I was thinking I'd put see if I can't create "Campaign Sets", where each set would include replacement tracks for the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum tracks, as well as the cars that you'd be racing against in those campaigns. That way I'm not require to find cars and tracks to replace every single stock car and track all at once.

Oh, and what do you mean by "unfinished" cars? What level of unfinished are they? If you have textured models in PRM format, that's perfectly good.

Posted: 03 Jul 2008, 19:37
Adamodell
So many people have unfinished stuff. I'm all for giving it to the "public domain" of this community and letting others finish them.

Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 03:15
Iron Bob
Heh, well I had intended on making a whole replacement set for the original cars in revolt. That is why I have five finished cars that are not posted. most of the other cars still require some modeling and/or texturing before I can convert them to prm files. To kindof explain it, it is way to easy to over detail a car for revolt. So sometimes I have to find alternative modeling techniques to get the detail into the model without overloading revolt. Anyway, I've been thinking of just posting the cars I have done. I've not given up on the replacement pack idea, I'm just not as active at it as I used to be. You may edit any of the cars I've released, I'll even send you the framework and shadow maps for any of my cars, if you want them, to help with repainting. The only thing I ask is that you give me credit in the readme file if you post them.

Posted: 06 Jul 2008, 03:36
Adamodell
Sounds like a good, albeit odd, idea.

I wasn't just referring to you. Killer Wheels for instance said he had quite a few extreme tracks that he was working on. I have yet to see them, and that was a long while back *cough*.

I just don't like seeing all this hard work laid to waste like this.