Page 1 of 1
Posted: 25 Apr 2008, 18:35
Cat
Hi, i have 2 questions referred to rear wheel drive cars:
1) Some of my cars that i've tuned are very understeery. How to reduce understeer without making car undrivable?
2) How to make cars drift easily on the corners instead of using the grip style?

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 00:51
Aeon
Oh man, there are so many different ways to adjust under/oversteer in this game that its not even funny.

You can adjust the third value for the car's CoM, and shifting it forward will make the car oversteer more.

Giving the car low dampening in front and high dampening in back will encourage oversteer, as will loosening the restitution in front and tightening it in back. That'll encourage the back wheels to lose traction before the front wheels do, but it can also create some ugly handling if not done properly.

The easiest way is to have even friction values in the front and rear wheels which will balance things out. (StaticFriction and KineticFriction values). If you set the front friction values to higher than the rear friction values, the front will stick better and the back will swing out.

You can also adjust the Grip values, higher in front and lower in back. Low grip values will also make the car slide more, but have fun getting the AI to cooperate if your car DOES drift.

Raising the center of gravity in the car (done through the second CoM value or the wheel height) can also increase oversteer if one of the rear wheels lifts off the ground, giving your car less traction in the back.

Supposedly you can also create drifting effects by adjusting the AxleFriction values, but I don't use those, so I couldn't tell you.

You might also try increasing your front wheel's turning radius.

That's all I can think of for now.

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 04:44
Manmountain
Yep, I think Aeon has covered what you basically need to know.
Engineratio and Axelfriction changes will make the wheels spin faster or slower depending on increase or decrease of change, this can encourage oversteer if the front axel spins faster than the rear, but I supose this is mainly for 4WD rather than RWD, but axelfriction is also what helps towards breaking or natural retardation of the car.

What ever you decide to change just change as few as many values equally for each axel and only make small changes.
Do a lot of trial and error testing at ever change.

I'm sure you'll find the right set of values to suit your individual driving needs.

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 05:57
Cat
thanks for replies. saying about drifting, what do you guess about a D1GP (japanese drifting championship) car repaint pack?