Page 1 of 1
Posted: 16 Mar 2008, 23:19
Adamodell
Link is dead as determined by 4/29/2013. If you have the file- please PM me.
Also damn was I annoying back then.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 00:30
Manmountain
HUH ?? :huh:

What the heck are you on about ?
Please explain.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 00:42
Adamodell
Manmountain @ Mar 16 2008, 08:00 PM wrote: HUH ??  :huh:

What the heck are you on about ?
Please explain.
Don't worry, I'm not high or anything! ;)

Lets take it from the top. I made Re-Volt work perfectly on a flash drive.

You know how Re-Volt saves its stuff to the registry? Well, I made a workaround to make it a truly portable application.

Here is the batch equivalent.

Code: Select all

regedit /s save.reg (adds Re-Volt registry entry to host computer)
Re-Volt.exe (launches Re-Volt)
regedit /e save.reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acclaim (backs up registry save to flash drive)
regedit /s del.reg (deletes registry save, computer is clean of all Re-Volt traces)
Do I have any more splaining to do?

Oh, you can replace save.reg with your own save, too.

And also, the last two batch commands only occur after Re-Volt is closed.

So, works like this.

Click on the Re-Volt shortcut I made, adds save to registry, launches Re-Volt.
When Re-Volt is closed, it backs up the registry back to the flash drive, and then deletes the registry of all traces of Re-Volt.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 01:33
Manmountain
And what exactly is the main purpose of this so called break through ?
I am unclear as to what you are acheiving. :blink:

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 01:40
Adamodell
Geez, man, way to make me feel bad about myself!

I'm uploading it to my site now. I'll link it up in a sec, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm saying that I have Re-Volt "installed" on my flash drive, and it is COMPLETELY portable. The save goes to the flash drive, and is deleted from the registry when you close Re-Volt.

Next time you start Re-Volt back up (on same or different computer) it writes the save back to the registry.

It's cool, but it's definitely not a breakthrough.

And I changed those batch commands into a "silent" executable, so you don't see no command windows or anything.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 01:58
Adamodell
Download linky on top.

If you have DSL or broadband, I recommend you use a download accelerator. I can get 300 kbps out of this file with DownThemAll!

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 02:56
Manmountain
But the original CD is portable.. isn't it ?
You've basically created a command file to save your game settings for later use on any PC, YES ?
So why have you created a full game download ? why not just the command file ?

Well, thanks... I think. :unsure:

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 03:16
Adamodell
You might be right. But compressed it is only 38 megabytes, so...

I really don't see why not.

Well, I could of made a "pack" of the specific files, but it would just add to the confusion of installing it, as I am a bad person at explaining.

And, you would have to put the whole "Re-Volt" game in the apps folder, and you'd have to make sure to have 1207 Re-Volt, and then you'd have to... I dunno.

If you screw up the hierarchy of files, it most likely won't work.

I'm not talking about the portability of the CD in question, I'm talking about the game itself.

You have to INSTALL it to the PC you are using. And the game is dependent of the computer based upon the registry.

This solves both of those problems. No actual installing, and the registry is only used when the game is running. By the time the game is closed, the registry area for "Acclaim" is dumped on to the flash drive (so you have actual saves, and you can actually beat the game), deleted from the registry, and only put back on the registry when playing again.

I really designed this for a school environment, where you don't want to install something on it, and don't want to leave any traces when done.

I plan on testing it at school tomorrow, and I hope their isn't any problems with Admin privileges.

P.S.: I recommend a USB 2.0 port and flash drive.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 07:03
Adamodell
Gee, I thought that this would be a bigger hit.

Eh, another day, another death; another sorrow, another breath.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 08:08
zagames
It's a good idea. I just don't think very many people will be able to use it. Sure it may come in handy if you switch back and forth between different computers, but most people don't switch often enough to make it necessary. Good idea though, surely someone will find it useful. P.S.- I agree with MM, it would be better to just DL the custom files and not the entire game. Perhaps a separate DL could hold the entire package.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 17:20
Adamodell
[ALSO MISSING]

Here you go, Portable Re-Volt without Re-Volt itself. Directions included, although not very good.

P.S.: Good idea, it's only 3 megabytes.

Posted: 18 Mar 2008, 01:06
GWC
Adamodell
Am I right in thinking that you are running RV from a flash drive? If so, then I think this could be useful (tho I'm not likely to use it). If it works in a school environment, maybe it could also be used at work, or on a public computer. It could also be a good way of demonstrating RV to a friend on their comp.

Let us know how you get on at school.

Geoff

Posted: 18 Mar 2008, 02:27
Aeon
I assume it also means you can have multiple installs of Re-Volt, each with their own levels of progress.

Posted: 18 Mar 2008, 02:31
Adamodell
GWC @ Mar 17 2008, 08:36 PM wrote: Adamodell
Am I right in thinking that you are running RV from a flash drive? If so, then I think this could be useful (tho I'm not likely to use it). If it works in a school environment, maybe it could also be used at work, or on a public computer. It could also be a good way of demonstrating RV to a friend on their comp.

Let us know how you get on at school.

Geoff
Yes, it runs from a flash drive, and cleans the registry when you exit. For some reason on one computer I used, it left the "Acclaim" key but deleted all of its subkeys.

Oh, wait, it keeps the Acclaim key because of the fact that some other games might use the Acclaim key and I don't want it deleting every single save under "Acclaim".

I mean, Acclaim has more than one game under their name.

But, it is an empty key, and you can delete it through regedit.

Posted: 18 Mar 2008, 02:37
Adamodell
Aeon @ Mar 17 2008, 09:57 PM wrote: I assume it also means you can have multiple installs of Re-Volt, each with their own levels of progress.
You could, but you'd have to have multiple reg files on drive, and you'd have to rename the one you wanted to use to "save.reg", so PortableLauncher.exe will copy it to the registry for RV to read from.

It's not really multiple "installations" of RV, just multiple saves.

Posted: 07 Apr 2008, 17:22
Adamodell
OK, I changed the launcher a bit.

Posted: 08 May 2008, 16:58
Adamodell
I used commands on Version 3 that might not work on any other operating system than XP.

I'll work on new methods to portability that will work on all operating systems in the Windows family, sometime.

Sorry for the inconvenience lol.