Page 1 of 1
Posted: 15 Feb 2008, 12:37
Aeon
I don't think there are any wheels in existence which quite match what I'm looking for. I'd like to deck out all my cars with a custom wheel that has:

1. Rounded edges. Most real-life wheels are rounded on the edges.

2. Indented space for the rims - similar to the wheels on TheMeandMe's Lancer Evo

3. A flat area to draw in the rims. Nothing modeled in.

4. PREFERABLY textured so that the sides of the tire can have some shine instead of being one solid color, and there can be some low-res tread.

I'd also like the whole tire to be somewhat more rounded than the standard NFS4 tire, which has maybe 16 points all around and they end up looking a little bit blocky, with the corners protruding through the car model on occasions. I'd like maybe double or more points, so that the tires actually look round.

If anyone feels like making something like this at some point, that would be great. I don't have the tools to model and texture new Re-Volt objects properly, so I'll have to rely on someone else to do it.

Posted: 15 Feb 2008, 17:39
Adamodell
Interesting ideas. But aren't you the person that wants to save polygons? Wheels of the detail you are asking for would be 300-400 polies.

Posted: 16 Feb 2008, 00:46
Dave-o-rama
it would be kinda easy to put 1, 2, and 3 together but i dunno about number 4.

Posted: 16 Feb 2008, 00:59
Aeon
Adamodell @ Feb 15 2008, 04:09 AM wrote: Interesting ideas. But aren't you the person that wants to save polygons? Wheels of the detail you are asking for would be 300-400 polies.
Its would only be about 1000 polies more than it is now.

Posted: 16 Feb 2008, 03:37
Dave-o-rama
but that's still a lot of polies...

Posted: 17 Feb 2008, 00:59
Aeon
Actually I estimate that, conservatively, a 32 point wheel with rounded edges and an inset rim could be done with just over 160 verticles if the rounded edge were only on the outside. If it were on both sides, it would be about 190-200 verticles. The Lancer wheel I'm working with now has 199 verticles, so it would really be about the same...

I suppose if you wanted to you could push it up to 260 verticles, but there's not much point in going beyond that. Maybe adding a place for some brake disks or something (which'd have to be drawn in perfectly around but that's okay)...

Posted: 18 Feb 2008, 06:14
Aeon
Well, I've modified the Lancer wheel and rearranged the textures a bit, and I think I like the look of it now. Plus I drew in some brake discs behind the rims.

-- See my avatar --

Posted: 19 Feb 2008, 22:51
TheMeandMe
just a quick fyi:
for example our last porsches

do not only have wheels you can use see thru textures (rgb 0,0,0) on but also have a brakedisc included within the wheel you can map a brakedisc to from the texture. i know you might not want to use wheels like this because they give away the fakeness of everything really with no suspension and all, but still might worth considering to use (even if they have a rather low polygone count of 128 per wheel)...
i hope im telling the truth here too and that the brakedisc is really in the wheel and not in the body but filedate of those wheels is back in 2002, so bare with me not remembering correctly... im pretty sure we released SOME car that had brakediscs within the wheels tho... ;-)

Posted: 19 Feb 2008, 23:31
Aeon
I've seen some cars with the brake discs within the wheels, and some cars with the brake discs as part of the body. Either way it looks wrong, because Re-Volt doesn't have any proper way to add brake discs.

The only problem here is that having see-through rims shows off all the pixelated parts. If you have a solid-black background behind the rim, you can anti-alias the whole thing so that it looks smoother.

Plus if you look at a lot of car pictures [Example] you'll notice that you usually can't see all that much behind the rims anyway.

I suppose you could get away with anti-aliasing some see-through rims if the background was sufficiently dark and the brake discs were dark as well, but that's about it. You'd still either have to forgo the caliper or have the brake disc built into the body.