Page 1 of 1
Posted: 03 Oct 2007, 06:43
Aeon
It seems like Re-Volt cars are really designed for only one type of driving: You aim it in the direction you want it to go and it goes there. Nothing else seems to work well. Either the car will be too awkward to drive or the AI simply won't know how to deal with it.

The more precise a car's handling is, the better the AI will be able to drive with it. That means that the AI will be more challenging. However, cars with perfect handling aren't really that much fun to drive, so the challenge is just to not aim your car into something that will result in a crash, and make sure you turn the corner without hitting anything.

My last experiment was with low-grip cars that are more inclined to slip, which makes it harder for the driver to aim the car at a specific point since the car likes to slip around and you have to keep making corrections. It also means that when you go around a corner, you probably won't be facing the direction you're traveling, which can also be fun. However, the AI sucks pretty badly with these settings, and I don't think there's really any way to fix it since, as said before, Re-Volt seems to be designed for cars that go where you aim them.

So now I'm just getting frustrated. I don't like cars that are boring to drive, and I don't like driving with sucky AI.

Posted: 03 Oct 2007, 06:49
Kaki
it matters that we have fun driving not the AI, because we always beat them anyhow

i hear someone in this forum is making re-volt 2, i think his name is revolt_hustler, and maybe he'll improve AI

Posted: 03 Oct 2007, 07:15
Aeon
But its so much better when you've got a fun drive AND a challenging AI.

And every other game out there has an "unofficial sequel" in the works. I put very little faith in them.

Posted: 04 Oct 2007, 00:12
Aeon
I guess with a few modifications to the cars (doubling the TurnRate and adding 1000 to the rear-wheel Grip values, to simulate the effects of the spoiler), the AI can drive them somewhat competently.

Just to prove this to myself, I did a test run on Rally of GB (which, although being a lego extreme, simply has the toughest AI I've ever encountered on a Re-Volt track). Although I chose the weaker contender, the STI, the Evo was still able to beat me on both of the races I played. Even though at one point the Evo slipped out of control and got turned around, he still caught up and won the race.

Posted: 04 Oct 2007, 02:56
Adamodell
That's good.

Posted: 04 Oct 2007, 16:13
robenue
I Seriously Agree with Aeon, I'm not that satisfied with Re-Volts AI I really think they are dopey but then again Re-Volt was aimed at 8-11 year olds also its the stock tracks are hard when you are that age.

But I still agree with you Aeon.