Page 1 of 1
Posted: 16 Jul 2007, 09:26
Aeon
Since the cars I race with are mostly my own modified "real-life" cars, and I don't have enough of them to fill up four ranks of difficulty, I have all my cars set to the same difficulty level. This makes for some challenging races when my little STi is pitted against, say, A Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari 360 and a V12 Vanquish, among others. I don't get first place very often with a slower car, but its still very satisfying to defeat superior opponents.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that typically there's a lot of cars that get passed up and end up being just lower numbers on the ranks chart - never really see them in the race. Usually there are maybe 1-4 cars that are a good match for your car and skill, and those are the cars that repeatedly show themselves during the race. (Unless you crash, then EVERYONE passes you.)

Anyway, this is a quote from Wikipedia's NFS article which I was looking through a while back in search of different ways to race outside of the normal race.
"Also included is an "outrun" mode where a player can challenge random opponents on the road and the race leader will attempt to distance themselves away from the opponent to defeat the opponent..."
Anyway, that sparked an idea for a different way to race which I'm finding (assuming my opponent is sufficiently difficult but not overwhelming) to be quite a lot of fun.

In my Re-Volt styled "Outrun" mode, you only have two cars in the race, you and a random opponent. Now assuming your game is actually organized into ranks the opponent should be decently challenging for you. So, set the race to 2 cars and 10-20 laps or so. Now, the goal of the race is to get 30+ meters ahead of the other car. If the other car gets 30+ meters ahead of you, you've lost.

So chances are, the first one to eat it is going to lose. But I've tried this several times today and the races prove to be very intense, especially since the good AI cars spend less time crashing into each other and more time providing you with a challenge.

Of course, if you're an insanely good driver and you don't find cars in your own rank a challenge, you might want to make a custom car and raise its rank a bit so that it'll compete with more challenging opponents.

Posted: 16 Jul 2007, 20:33
GWC
Interesting idea :)

Another alternative race mode might be to give your opponents, say, 5 secs start - and see how many you can overtake before the end of the race.

Geoff

Posted: 16 Jul 2007, 23:58
Dave-o-rama
pretty cool idea :)

the thing is, it would be easy for me as i would smoke all the other cars.
in multiplayer its a different story though ;)

Posted: 17 Jul 2007, 02:02
Aeon
If you can smoke all the pro cars in an RC Bandit, then I'm impressed.

Posted: 06 Aug 2007, 08:11
APM
lol
Interesting idea...
Ranks, however, are the problem with Re-Volt.
Re-Volt only has from Rookie to Pro ranks, nothing above. Yet most new cars are way above pro, which we call Super-Pro, and some even better than that. This is something we will have to deal with for another 5 or so years, I'm afraid... just hang on, dude!