Page 1 of 1
Posted: 22 Apr 2007, 14:19
hr1100
well you know that when you play in LAN the things are just like playing with the AI: you can interact with the enemies more realistically- you can push them away, bomb them with balloons, etc., just like playing with the AI.

however in Internet play things are different - when you are hitting someone with your car the opponent is not affected, as if you are not even touching him. also it looks like as if you are hitting a wall or something very heavy, it is much more different than in LAN/Single player. even when i hit someone with balloon bombs they are not affected.

of course high latency/lag has to do with all those things, but so much?

in my opinion it's flaws in the Internet play. it is so much different than in lan/single player... thats why i think with hamachi and LAN simulated games we will get better gameplay experience.

of course that is not very convenient, but for games like the soccer one, battle tag (which you all want to play it very much) or fun races with picks, it might be worth to give it a shot.

Posted: 22 Apr 2007, 23:35
APM
Hm... I'll keep this in mind when I make Re-Volt 2... LAN option, plz...

Posted: 23 Apr 2007, 15:40
arto
hr1100 @ Apr 22 2007, 09:49 AM wrote: of course high latency/lag has to do with all those things, but so much?

in my opinion it's flaws in the Internet play. it is so much different than in lan/single player... thats why i think with hamachi and LAN simulated games we will get better gameplay experience.
Hamachi has just the same lag. If the information has to travel through internet there will be delay. Depending on how far from you the people you play against, and how good connection people have, decide how much lag there will be.

Hamachi can not magically make the lag go away. If anything it might worsen it since the information has to go through hamachi's server.

This is not just Re-Volt's problem but all internet games problem. I've played several racing games online, all of which are affected by lag. These are just facts of internet playing. You modify your play strategy a bit to take into account the effect of the delay.

Posted: 23 Apr 2007, 20:10
APM
So does playing a game in LAN help anything?

Posted: 23 Apr 2007, 22:23
hr1100
APM @ Apr 23 2007, 03:40 PM wrote: So does playing a game in LAN help anything?
well, it's local area network, meaning data travels in a closed circuit of neighbor computers with little (2/3/4 ms most frequent)-to-none delays. and i don't know exactly how much will add the hamachi: 50-100-150ms (?), but it must be better than str8 internet play.

the contrast between internet play and lan play is astounding, thats why i think it's something wrong with i-net play, and hamachi/lan will be better. i constantly play online games, fps and dynamic (in terms of gameplay) mmorpgs, and revolt in comparison feels like dial-up.

even worse, i see very frequently the old phone (lag) icon, as if we are all on dial up.

Posted: 25 Apr 2007, 08:12
APM
For a second there, I thought you were Arto!
Yes, I also see the phone quite frequently.