Page 1 of 1
Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 17:57
GhostiMax
Hi at all

I`ve a question:

Is it possible to host a server on a dedicated root machine ?
Is there any tool to do this job?

Ghost

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 18:01
ADX
I think there aren't, but maybe we can develope a tool like that ;).

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 18:15
zagames
I have considered this a couple times, just last night I gave it some more thought actually. If we coule place Re-Volt on a dedicated server, and somehow ran a "Remote Desktop" type program on it, then it would be quite easy to set it up. Or, if someone found a way to be close to the server, with a mouse keyboard and monitor atached, they could run a race directly from it.

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 18:26
GhostiMax
I`m coding since 4 years C++ and do a lot of things only for Network Programming.
Especially for multiplayer programming. I don`t which programm language the developers of Revolt used or how to get access to the hardcode.

I think it should be possible to do that. But for this it would be requiered to get an Serverlist or only a IP Connect working in Revolt. To join the server. With a some console command it would be possible to to commands like "restart" or so.

Ghost

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 18:45
ADX
C++ is the used. Some people uses Visual Basic, but C++ is powerfull (Also revolt was coded in C++).

I created a forum (Re-Volt Developers), you can talk about there ;) (It's a bit restringed )
http://s3.invisionfree.com/rvdev

Regards,
ADX

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 19:48
arto
There's not really a way to do that, one of the players always has to be the host and choose what tracks are raced etc.

I can't see any way that could be easily changed either. Maybe by reverse engineering the network packets sent by RV and making a server that "pretends" he's a host. But I have a hard time seeing what would be the point in a laborous exercise like that. It's not like an 8 player race is too much for a non-dedicated host to handle, neither CPU nor network usage wise.

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 20:02
ADX
Maybe taking a look on the RV source?

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 21:02
GhostiMax
I don`t think it would be a huge problem to do that. There are many reason why it should work.

1. Many other games are open for until 32/64 players
2. You host always a dedicated race, but you are needed to play as host
3. The NetCode doesn`t need so much changes.

It is possible!

Ghost

Posted: 04 Jan 2007, 01:00
ADX
It will be great :D.
Also there is a program (RVHouse.net) to play online. However, cool B)

Regards,
ADX

Posted: 04 Jan 2007, 02:17
GhostiMax
Yes but RV House doens`t work dedicated. You need to start game and play self as host.

Ghost

Posted: 04 Jan 2007, 02:25
Italia'76
Ghostmax do you think it is possible to use C++ in order to make races with all stock cars running on the same time????or it is just a stupid question?

regards :)

Posted: 04 Jan 2007, 02:57
revoltkid
what do you men by a dedicated server?

Posted: 05 Jan 2007, 00:21
GhostiMax
Yes i think it is possible with Italia'76!

revoltkid with a dedicated server, i mean a Server like the Host, but which runs on an seperated machine like Root Server. There is not need to play as host and to open ingame the race. Dedicated Server would be the last missing thing for Re-Volt.

Ghost

Posted: 05 Jan 2007, 03:11
ADX
Yeah, this will be a very great thing. We will be able to play from the revolt, and we will see the rooms there. No IPs needed, no programs needed, no headaches, directly from the game :D

Regards,
ADX

Posted: 11 Jan 2007, 22:11
Promille
hi there,

well, if its too hard to seperate the host from the server... why not program a sneaky wrapper for it which just sends the keystrokes to the machine which should be the dedicated server ?

for example a tiny webserver, which runs in the background, which is capable of accepting keystrokes to be executed on the machine on which it is running ? you connect via browser and send the keystrokes to the "dedicated server".
well, you cant see a thing what you do on the machine, but that can be solved via screenshot function and viewing the taken pic to the connected browser...

the disadvantage i see there : one car without a driver and one racing slot wasted...

greets
promille