Page 1 of 1
Posted: 10 Dec 2006, 06:35
Aeon
I was fiddling with ReVolt last night, downloading some of those real-life conversion cars and messing with their params, when I apparently breached the car limit and the game started crashing after the name selection screen.

So, I went searching around for that program that's supposed to let you use relatively unlimited cars. Well, I downloaded that and something called RV Garage, which I fiddled with first. However, RV Garage started giving me errors (after screwing up and causing me to accidentally delete half my /cars/ folder, including the default cars...) so I deleted that and tried using the program to allow unlimited cars (and the micro machines view, so you know what I'm talking about), but couldn't figure out how to make it do anything...

After I got done vainly attempting to use the unlimited cars program, that was when I realized that half my cars had been deleted, which annoyed me a lot, but it was already late and I didn't feel like reinstalling ReVolt. So I turned off the computer and decided to fix it later.

Today I tried reinstalling ReVolt, and now every time I run it, even with a fresh install, it crashes after the name selection screen. My computer has also started doing weird things - sometimes it won't run RV at all, it'll just black out, then give me blue error screens if I try to ctrl+alt+del out of it. Programs are freezing up more frequently, OpenOffice keeps telling me that my personal settings are locked, and my computer booted up with a weird orange screen once... So yeah, I'm getting weirded out, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Oh, and does anyone know why RV knows my name even after I uninstall it? Its doesn't appear to be stored in any files or in the registry anywhere...

While I doubt anybody knows whats going on here, I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone can help!

Posted: 10 Dec 2006, 07:03
PatS
What is your operating system? Windows XP? If so, why don't you try restoring your computer to an earlier date? This process has helped me so many times when my computer begins to act strangely. Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore and follow the prompts. Good luck. Let us know the result.

Posted: 10 Dec 2006, 11:11
arto
Re-Volt does store the settings in registry, this is why it knows your name and this is also why it crashes after fresh install for you. It crashes because the (custom) car you last played is not anymore installed.

To fix you have to go to registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acclaim\Re-Volt\1.0

There is entry CarID. I'm guessing but I think putting 0 as value will work as it is one of the stock cars.

As for the rest of your problems... godspeed ;).

Posted: 10 Dec 2006, 11:43
Aeon
Sweet, that fixed everything (well, as far as Re-Volt was concerned. Still no idea what that orange startup screen thing was all about). Thanks a lot! I was about ready to find a new hobby. :P