Page 1 of 1
Posted: 15 Nov 2006, 02:16
Aeon
I've only been fiddling with Re-Volt for a week or two, and I'd like to look into, if not making my own, at least customizing existing ReVolt cars. (Building tracks seems like way too much work...)

Anyway, I have some experience modeling things in Blender, and I read somewhere that you could use that to make ReVolt cars. However, I have no idea how to make make something go from a Blender file to a prm file. Can someone give me some pointers?

Posted: 15 Nov 2006, 02:41
zagames
What formats can you export to from Blender?

.3ds, .ase, etc.

Later,
Zach

Posted: 15 Nov 2006, 10:26
BurnRubr
Use an export plugin and export to ase format.
Then you can use the available revolt ase tools.
The link below is for a blender ase exporter.
http://www.quake3bits.com/htm/tools_utilities.htm

Posted: 18 Nov 2006, 00:52
Aeon
Blender will import/export to .3ds files. (I'm not too familiar with the most recent version of Blender, since I've been using an older version for a while, and I just downloaded the latest one.) I downloaded the .ase script, but I haven't figured out how to make it work yet. Either way, its only an import script, so its a one-way trip to Blender.

Can anyone give me a brief overview of how to get files from .3ds format to .prm format? And at what point does the texture mapping get done? I know this has probably been asked a zillion times, but the forum search function sucks and I don't know where else to look. :P

I was about to say Lithium Unwrapper was the coolest program ever, until I realized that it only Imports PRM files... It doesn't export them... which is the dumbest thing ever! So yeah, anyone have a good way to go from 3ds --> PRM without using Zmodeler, which is supremely evil, and without having to pay for it? (ala UltimateUnwrapper)

Posted: 18 Nov 2006, 03:16
zagames
Well, first start by exporting to .ase format, not .3ds. Then you will have to use the RVTMOD7 package to convert to .w or .prm and .ncp files, found on ManMountain's website. Hope this helps. Later,
Zach

Posted: 23 Nov 2006, 11:00
BurnRubr
If you are trying to get a 3ds file to prm you only really have 2 options.
1 - Zmodeler 1 which is free.
2 - UltimateUnwrapper $50 us

You really need to export you model file in .ase format.
Then you can use the ase2prm tool.

You can import 3ds format files into Zmodeler 1 to make a prm file.

But you must keep part and texture names at 8 characters or less.
All mapping must be done to the 1 bmp as RV only uses the 1 bmp at 256x256.
You need to delete the materials names listed in the Zmodeler material editor.
Then you reassign the Primary texture to the one you are using with you model.
You will then have the texture show on your model.