Page 1 of 1
Posted: 31 Oct 2006, 14:12
ReVolt_asker
I´ve wondered how you do cool tracks while i not even can do enything cool! I haven´t been downloading enything yet but i wonder what i should download, and do i have to download a program? :huh: becouse my editor haven´t much things i´ve been reading about. Please, tell me! :D

Posted: 31 Oct 2006, 18:00
Manmountain
Hi and Welcome to Our Revolt Pub. :)

Start simple and basic.

Basic editing skills and techniques stage by stage.

1) Make quite a few Track Editor Lego tracks, use as many different pieces as you can. Race your tracks and see what works in creating a good flowing yet challenging track. Check out Spacemans site for basic Lego track making hints and tips : The ReVolt Workbench

2) Learn to access and use the MAKEITGOOD name cheat edit modes. Start with the basic Objects, then add Instances, move on to tweaking the AI Nodes, Pos Nodes and Track Zones to help create better challenging AI cars. More advanced editing would involve the Lights, Visiboxing, Farce Fields and Camera placement.
Your best sources of information on MAKEITGOOD are : Makeitgood Menu @ RVA & RV Extreme
Also check out some of the old mIRC chat logs on Makeitgood editing : Welcome to FAQName!

3) Rather than using a Lego track as a base, start to create your own all instance track. Here is when you'll start to get to grips with RV-Glue, a tool that has proven indispensable for a lot of track makers. With this tool you can start to add surface properties and specific colour effects with env mapping. By grouping select prm's/instances you can create your own unique instance's.
You'll need the full set of tools in the form of RVTmod7.zip This download includes a fairly extensive yet easy to understand tutorial.
For other instance creation and altering tools visit my RV Tool Shed There you will find a Kits and prm's page.
Check out the Glue Tutorial @ RVA

4) If you have mastered or at least feel fully confident in Track making at this stage, then it's on to 3D modeling programs. Although if you have already dabbled in 3D then just be creative. ;)
3D programs such as 3Dmax, Zmodler, Blender 3D and Milkshape 3D are the more prefered ones as used by most of the Extreme track makers. To convert the exported models from these programs for use in Revolt you will need the tools supplied in the above mentioned RVTmod7 package.

*** :o ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR WORK :o ***
at each stage of development.

I hope this information helps you a little. :)

Posted: 31 Oct 2006, 20:06
ReVolt_asker
Manmountain @ Oct 31 2006, 01:30 PM wrote: Hi and Welcome to Our Revolt Pub. :)

Start simple and basic.

Basic editing skills and techniques stage by stage.

1) Make quite a few Track Editor Lego tracks, use as many different pieces as you can. Race your tracks and see what works in creating a good flowing yet challenging track. Check out Spacemans site for basic Lego track making hints and tips : The ReVolt Workbench

2) Learn to access and use the MAKEITGOOD name cheat edit modes. Start with the basic Objects, then add Instances, move on to tweaking the AI Nodes, Pos Nodes and Track Zones to help create better challenging AI cars. More advanced editing would involve the Lights, Visiboxing, Farce Fields and Camera placement.
Your best sources of information on MAKEITGOOD are : Makeitgood Menu @ RVA & RV Extreme
Also check out some of the old mIRC chat logs on Makeitgood editing : Welcome to FAQName!

3) Rather than using a Lego track as a base, start to create your own all instance track. Here is when you'll start to get to grips with RV-Glue, a tool that has proven indispensable for a lot of track makers. With this tool you can start to add surface properties and specific colour effects with env mapping. By grouping select prm's/instances you can create your own unique instance's.
You'll need the full set of tools in the form of RVTmod7.zip This download includes a fairly extensive yet easy to understand tutorial.
For other instance creation and altering tools visit my RV Tool Shed There you will find a Kits and prm's page.
Check out the Glue Tutorial @ RVA

4) If you have mastered or at least feel fully confident in Track making at this stage, then it's on to 3D modeling programs. Although if you have already dabbled in 3D then just be creative. ;)
3D programs such as 3Dmax, Zmodler, Blender 3D and Milkshape 3D are the more prefered ones as used by most of the Extreme track makers. To convert the exported models from these programs for use in Revolt you will need the tools supplied in the above mentioned RVTmod7 package.

*** :o ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR WORK :o ***
at each stage of development.

I hope this information helps you a little. :)
:D THANKS!

:huh: Just got one more question, how do you lift up track parts that it will be like this:

/
____/

And not this:

____/ /

? :huh:

THANKS AGAIN

Posted: 31 Oct 2006, 20:17
Manmountain
ReVolt_asker @ Oct 31 2006, 03:36 PM wrote: :huh: Just got one more question, how do you lift up track parts that it will be like this:

/
____/

And not this:

____/ /

? :huh:  
Sorry ? I can't understand the question from the very limited visual discription.

What is it you want to do but can't ?

Posted: 31 Oct 2006, 22:41
GWC
I think that what you are asking is how to set the height of the track tiles? You use 'page up' and 'page down' keys to do this.

Geoff

Posted: 01 Nov 2006, 05:49
APM
Do you mean turns?
Well, the Editor only has 3 curved turns, small (1x1), medium (2x2), and large (3x3). None of them are exactly like that.
Do you mean banks?
All banked turns are 1x1, but they come in different elevations.

Posted: 01 Nov 2006, 06:20
Manmountain
No Alex, looking at the quoted image I think Geoff solved this issue.

Posted: 01 Nov 2006, 16:39
richy_dude
alright chaps, ive made this tutorial (not finished) on how to make tracks in 3D studio max - i followed Zacks tutorial but i think ive got a different version of 3D studio max so it looks a little funky.

www.richalderwick.com/revolt

Posted: 02 Nov 2006, 01:34
ReVolt_asker
I found it out my self too by looking at a link in an other topic

Posted: 02 Nov 2006, 03:55
zagames
Wow, sorry Richy, but you made several fatal flaws. plus, you're missing over half of the process. Yes, you have a different version of Max. I have 8. Be sure to follow the directions on my site carefully, otherwise you could screw up ReVolt. Later,
Zach

Posted: 08 Nov 2006, 20:07
maskedmous
how to make basic "lego"tracks?

i know something about makeitgood...

but only how to place objects <_<

please help me

Posted: 08 Nov 2006, 21:23
Manmountain
I have merged maskedmous's topic here, as it's basically the same topic.
Please use this topic for all basic track questions, thanks. :)

Maskedmous, please read the top few posts here. :rolleyes: