Page 1 of 1
Posted: 17 Jul 2006, 08:04
broaddd
Gday all,

Nice to find this forum - I just found the PC version of Re-volt after playing the Dreamcast version for ages (altho many moons ago)...

I installed it on my Intel Dual Core laptop (ATI x1600 mobility), but whether patched or unpatched with the 0916 and 1207, it plays fine at my custom resolution on the first launch (eg. 1024x768 or 1440x900); but on relaunch it switches to a sideways resolution (eg. 900x1440). The graphics are turned 90 degrees to the right, and all the resolution options are now sideways (eg. 480x640).

After many reinstalls, I find I can fix the problem by playing in a custom resolution, and switching back to 640x480 before I quit. But is there an easier way?

Another question is whether people have tips on the best deadzone/steering settings when using an Xbox S-controller with the XBCD driver.

I was going to ask about getting custom soundtracks working, but found a link, and also have just been playing an audio cd in the background media player while revolt plays :-)

Thanks, and cheers!

B

Posted: 17 Jul 2006, 15:23
Manmountain
Hi and welcome to Our ReVolt Pub :)

Sorry to here of your problems, I'm sure there was another post with similar problems, sounds like a directX issue, have you installed the latest drivers ?
What is the grapics card of your laptop ?

Don't forget to visit RVHouse for direct chat and online races, find all the information and downloads HERE B)

Posted: 19 Jul 2006, 05:54
Wint
Howdy B. The PC version of Re-volt sure beats all and seems to last forever. ;)

I don't know what's going on but I have some ideas you can check into.

So, if your game is set to launch in a 640x480 screen resolution (the default setting with a new installation) your laptop will place it on the screen in it's proper orientation, but once you've changed the game settings to a higher resolution your laptop will place the game on the screen in a rotated manner when you try to launch. Or in other words, your laptop will launch the game in a proper full screen mode only if the game is set to 640x480, but you can increase the resolution freely once it's in this proper full screen mode. Hmm. It's as if the laptop is deciding what fits it's screen best? Perhaps due to a quirk in Re-volt's manner of displaying itself (assuming other games don't act this way)?

What's your usual screen resolution? Can you change the default desktop resolution on your laptop? If so, if you launch the game preset to 1024x768 while your laptop screen resolution is set to 1024x768, does the game launch and display normally in a full screen mode? If so you can probably work up an automated resolution change before and after the game runs.

I don't know much about laptop screen resolutions other than they can be a bit odd. Here's a shot in the dark: since 640x480 works well for you perhaps a resolution that's a multiple of that would work too, such as 1280x1024?

As for simplifying things as they stand, I can eliminate the need to set your screen resolution back to 640x480 before exiting the game by launching a .reg file that will reset the resolution before you start the game. You would still have to switch to a higher resolution manually after the game starts. Details in the zip: HERE

FYI, the game settings are stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acclaim\Re-Volt\

Also, if you add "-window" to the end of the command line of a Re-volt shortcut you can run the game in a window, the window will use whatever resolution you had set previously in the game. You can try this just for kicks.

cheers

EDIT:

It seems that screen rotation is a common feature on laptops. Settings related to this might be accessible in your graphics card settings (in the advanced display properties dialogs). You may also have hotkeys or access through system tray tools if any are enabled. There may even be some options tied to the monitor/display itself. To control or disable such features I suggest you check into your various hardware options for anything related to rotation, although it's possible you'll have no such options.