Page 1 of 1
Posted: 09 Jul 2006, 23:07
arto
Just came across this news snippet:

Throwback Entertainment, Inc, a Toronto-based publisher, has announced it has acquired the rights to multiple Acclaim Entertainment titles.
The library of Acclaim properties acquired by Throwback includes Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance, Vexx, Extreme-G Racing, Legends of Wrestling, Re-Volt, and Summer Heat Volleyball.

"Acclaim Entertainment was responsible for the creation of some wonderful original games, and unfortunately couldn't see them through their lifecycle, commented Thomas Maduri, CEO of Throwback Entertainment, Inc. "We are very pleased to have been afforded the opportunity to take these titles through the next generation, and onwards. Many of the titles have all the elements required to establish franchises, with new services broadening the reach of games, Throwback will be well positioned for the expansion of the franchises."

Although having several successful franchises under its belt, Acclaim Entertainment declared chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2004. Even though many franchises have already moved onto other publishers, it's pleasing to know that the RC Racer, Re-Volt, is making a comeback.
http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/07-07-2006-3135.html

No idea thought if this is about next-generation consoles or also PC.

Posted: 20 Jul 2006, 06:29
Wint
Thanks arto.

Here are two interesting articles, both different, featuring interviews with the CEO:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153738.html
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=10053

Some quotes:
GS: Will we see rereleases of any of these games?

TM: Yes, we're dedicated to rereleasing many of the key titles for new gamers to enjoy. They will be distributed using various digital distribution channels.
GS: Will these franchises continue to be traditionally console-based, or will we see them appear on PCs, in plug-and-play TV games, on Xbox Live Arcade, or other formats?

TM: I think a fundamental problem Acclaim had with many of these franchises is there weren't services like Xbox Live Arcade, or non-traditional platforms like Nintendo is providing with the DS, and [the] anticipated Wii console, available to them when many of these games were created. A game like Re-Volt or Iggy's Reckin' Balls would be a perfect fit for the Xbox Live Arcade service. They provide quick gameplay, and do not possess a substantial learning curve for the controls. These services will create new markets using existing console technology, so in that sense they will be console-based, but in a non-mainstream format. Throwback is planning on taking advantage of those and any other yet-to-be-announced platforms or services we could potentially benefit from.
GS: Which franchises will we see revived first?

TM: Throwback has established an internal road map, but we're obviously excited about Re-Volt and XGRA. Pending a formal announcement, we can't provide any further information.

Q: So why Acclaim?

A: Acclaim Entertainment made some great games that are liked by many gamers, and media. We targeted many of the titles not for the way they were created, but for the potential they possess. Many titles in the video game industry, especially original intellectual property, did not find a proper market and reach critical mass until its third or fourth iteration. We believe some of the titles we purchased are capable of reaching that point and enjoying great success.
Q: Of the franchises acquired, which do you think holds the most potential for your company?

A: When we began the process we knew there were six titles stronger than others. Re-Volt was always at the top of everyone’s list during internal discussions.

Personally, I'd just like to see Re-Volt rereleased for PC, as is (fully patched, and without any nasty DRM stuff attached). On that note I wonder if some sort of petition might be in order. I also hope that Mr. Maduri and the company as a whole will be friendly toward 'us' and all that we've done and will do in the Re-Volt realm. They must surely be aware of our presence, and being the new owners of everything that is officially Re-Volt I hope we can establish a peaceful future together.

p.s. I've had plans to build a Re-Volt website at some point and I may have just accidentally coined the name: Re-Volt Realm, or maybe Realm of Re-Volt. hmm....

Posted: 20 Jul 2006, 06:52
Manmountain
"Re-Volt Realm" sounds perfect.

'Re-Volt Realm' copyright of Wint. ;)

Posted: 23 Aug 2006, 17:24
plic
if they decide to release a new game i just hope it works on my old pc
i really cant afford a new pc now

Posted: 24 Aug 2006, 10:25
arto
plic @ Aug 23 2006, 12:54 PM wrote: if they decide to release a new game i just hope it works on my old pc
i really cant afford a new pc now
I doubt it will be released on PC at all... looking at this throwback thing, all they've released is console games.

Posted: 26 Aug 2006, 08:13
zagames
I actually just contacted a representative of Throwback. They are planning to release Re-Volt on several platforms INCLUDING PC. The representative also said they would be hiring people to work on it when they are ready. Later,
Zach

Posted: 26 Aug 2006, 21:50
re-volt hustler
This is like when DOOM 3 and half-life 2 was leaked too early. Now everybodies hyped up for a games that wont can for atleast a year or two, maybe 3. <_<

Posted: 27 Aug 2006, 18:26
Aylown
It wouldnt need a completely new game,I would be happy with better graphics,some nice musics,more poly counters and better Editor settings,We may see it in Re-Volt 2 I am staying here to wait for it =)

Posted: 29 Aug 2006, 07:49
FireBlade_2049
Let's hope that it makes it to the Wii. :ph43r: :ph43r:

Posted: 30 Aug 2006, 23:54
Prestonfs
Cool! I hope they make it!