Page 1 of 1
Posted: 10 Dec 2017, 19:29
MarvTheM
By now you all should have noticed what happened. We most likely can't revert the change and the things Tapatalk is doing are rather concerning. All additional features are gone and they can't be added back since it's against Tapatalk's guidelines.

We set up a forum called The Re-Volt Hideout that's meant to replace ORP. RVGL already moved there and it'd be nice if you would post future bug reports and feature suggestions there as well.

Marv

Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 19:17
Manmountain
Small request Marv, your signature ! the pub is not dead.... YET please change it.
Think of ORP as a natural beauty that has un needed plastic surgery and now looks un natural, ugly even, but NOT dead. ;) 

Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 19:54
MarvTheM
I concur ;)
A self-hosted forum is far better. We don't know what'll happen to it in the future and we can't backup the database.

The phase speaks more about continuity (creation of a new forum and not giving up on the forum as a platform for conversation) rather than ORP being dead.

Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 20:08
Manmountain
OK, I understand your reasoning, but would have made more sense if the new forum had a continuation of theme as a name, ie The RV Inn, Our RV Tavern, The Royal RV Hotel or something on those ideas. 
Hideout sounds a bit of a secret or secluded place rather than an ongoing successor to ORP.
As a founding member of over thirteen years I just don't like the thought of ORP being considered as dead, if you get me ?

Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 20:13
MarvTheM
I totally understand you. I really don't want to give up ORP but In my point of view it's beyond repair. Many features are gone and the forum isn't as easy to use/browse through anymore.

ORP has been the central point for RV's development and generally just an important place for the community. It wasn't always as active but it was about the very important stuff.
We need a place with that concept and spirit in mind.

I feel like the new look and the lacking feature-set discourages people from actually using the forum. I don't want to kill off ORP but I think we should put work into channeling the activity into one forum with the same concept. Archiving ORP's content should also be a high priority since some very important stuff happened here.

The new forum gives us the freedom to expand it and do anything we like. We can back it up and it's in secure hands.
I thought choosing a too similar name would come off as too offensive, so I spontaneously chose Hideout.
If we can gather enough suggestions, we could put it to a vote and change the name.
All I did was out of self-defense since Tapatalk doesn't give us enough room to customize and change things (besides the fact that many aspects of the forum are now broken).

Directly killing off/replacing ORP was not really my goal, I just wanted to offer an alternative and see how many people would be interested.

Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 20:25
Manmountain
I totally agree, what ORP is now is not what our community expects from a forum like what the Hideout can offer.

I shall keep a candle burning to let weary travellers know we'er still here as a community and where they can go to seek fame and fortune, lol. ;)