Page 1 of 1
Posted: 15 Sep 2017, 15:14
gel_lr34
I figured I'd make a post about this, as there's alot of younger, new people coming into the community. While they all show promise, there's a few guidlines that should be taken into account. One of which being the following, that downloading Iron Bob's "Team Frenzy" reminded me of.

IB wrote in his readme this:

"You may distribute this file intact by any means available. Any distribution of this file must also include this readme file unedited. You may NOT distribute edited versions of this car without prior authorization and proper credit for the work done. All repaints of this car are welcome and encouraged."

I also have the same (basically) in my readme's. However, sometimes people don't read the readme files (Guilty!)

I've had a few occassions where people have edited my meshes and showed it to me. For Example Volt General (aka Volty) who edited my 2003 AM-Bio Forster. I was pretty upset about it at first, but since the work was done, I okayed it.

Thing is: When someone makes a car from scratch, they put alot of time into the look of the car, to remove polygons or add to the mesh is a BIG sin in some people's books. It can also come down to copyright sometimes. Adding EXTERNAL meshes (ie - adding a spinner to achieve your look) are okay, but editing the mesh itself is not okay.

Now, TrixedXD, I didn't realize it, until he had released the "Health Lancer", had deleted the muffler pipe from the mesh. At first I was disgruntled about it (just being honest), but the work was already done, and it had been released. In his instance, i'm okay with it. I was too late. (I have already talked to TrixedXD about this, and have given my permission for his projects on hand)

Point being: Before you start editing someone's mesh, ask for permission to do so.

From now on _I_ am going to be a bit more strict with my meshes if they've been edited, and will request that cars be removed if the author did not have permission to edit the mesh. (TrixedXD, your creations with the Van are okay - no worries) If you wish to edit my mesh, shoot me a message, and i'll review it, If i like your ideas, i may say yes. However, please ask.

Again though, everyone coming into the community, I see, has alot of talent! And I definitely look forward to seeing them develope their skills as car makers! :D

=======================
Maybe make this sticky?

Posted: 17 Sep 2017, 03:05
Abc
perhaps shove copyright info in the filename

Posted: 01 Oct 2017, 06:36
spark
So you were upset about it, where does this anger come from?

We need to understand what drives this anger and this need to be so protective about files.

Is it like, you spent a lot of time and work in your files and then somebody used it to make something else, but then...
What are you losing and what are they winning by allowing them to use your files?

Posted: 01 Oct 2017, 21:22
Manmountain
@spark
It's an issue of basic moral respect and acknowledgement of the work done by the original creator.
Nothing to do with anger, just obvious annoyance at the lack of basic permission confirmation from the originator.
Some may put a psychological neurosis to this, but it is really about promoting mutual respect to others in a friendly community and nothing more.

@gel_lr34
Totally agree, unless the original creators Readme has a simple statement similar to "you can do what ever you wish with this", then making an effort to ask the original author/creator's permission is only respectful.

Obviously if the original creator can not be contacted then adding a thankful mention in the readme would be morally respectful.

Posted: 01 Oct 2017, 22:14
spark
Manmountain @ 1 Oct 2017, 04:52 PM wrote: @spark
It's an issue of basic moral respect and acknowledgement of the work done by the original creator.
Nothing to do with anger, just obvious annoyance at the lack of basic permission confirmation from the originator.
Some may put a psychological neurosis to this, but it is really about promoting mutual respect to others in a friendly community and nothing more.
I still question, respect towards the creator is ok. But what aspect about them are you respecting?
What is the advantage of having a copyright slapped to your files? It won't change reality.

And yes, I do think intellectual property is a self-invalidating logic construct as property can only be held by a single contract owner(s) and files can be held by everybody if you share it, nobody is losing anything.
At worst IP might be used to defend a patent to ensure monopoly and hold any enhancement of that piece back.

Wanna slap a copyright on your files? Do so, but it doesn't guarantee anyone will read it, let alone follow it, for it makes no sense in the real world. Unlike DRM or something.

What I want to know is why it makes people sad? Fame? Recognition?
Are you afraid people will get famous for something you did? You know a lie doesn't last long.

Posted: 01 Oct 2017, 23:04
Manmountain
:lol: LOL :roflmao:
It's really obvious you are poking the bear for nothing more than selfish attention, by all means, poke away. As you have my (ADMIN's) attention !
FYI, this community responds best to, and acknowledges respectful friendly forum interactions. Just saying ;)

We all already know that data once uploaded to the WWW can and is manipulated without thought to it's originator, but we here try to encourage respectful acknowledgement where ever possible to help reassure other new members their work may be highly appreciated.

So I do not know what it is you are trying to ascertain from your abrupt comment's towards someone's basic request ?
If there is a genuine valid reason that will benefit the whole community then I suggest you make a clearer and more polite statement, otherwise you and your future post's may come under serious scrutiny and moderation may intervene, OK ? :D

We encourage debate, but do not allow negative abuse, please read the forum rules again, thank you, have a nice day.

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 02:51
spark
What I meant is that copyright is a bad idea in itself, in the world, not only for game files.