Page 1 of 1
Posted: 16 May 2006, 21:17
GWC
Here's a photo of me, with some of my Meccano toys, at the recent 'Magic of Meccano' show at Kew Bridge Steam Museum in London. I hope it doesn't scare anyone!

Yes, the 1st 2 models are r/c - Meccano has been owned by Nikko for several years now, and these are their 1st attempts at combining Meccano and r/c.

Back in February, I left the 6-wheeler on a London underground train, when I changed trains, causing the underground to be closed down! (They thought it was a bomb). Luckily, I reported it in time to stop it being blown up, and they seemed to think it was amusing that it was a toy belonging to 2 'Elderly Gentlemen' (I was with an old Meccano friend), and I got away without even a lecture - the authorities are very paranoid about bombs at the present time, and are usually quite ruthless with suspects :( Apparently, they were worried by a bag with an aerial sticking out!

Geoff

Posted: 17 May 2006, 13:57
arto
Haha so they're profiling R/C car enthusiasts as terrorist suspects :).

Nice toys you have there. Do the Meccano R/C cars work well? I'm not too fond of Nikko, but my first R/C car was a Nikko.

Good to see the grand old man of RV going strong still ;).

Posted: 17 May 2006, 21:49
GWC
Arto,

I think the r/c's perform quite well - they are certainly too fast for a confined space! In spite of their weight (all-metal bodies).

But I have nothing to compare them with. My only previous experience with r/c is a single channel (rudder only :huh: ) areoplane - 48 years ago! I used to take-off from the main runway at RAF Leeming, in the north of England, after the Meteors and Javelins had gone to bed :D

The Meccano/Nikko models do only have basic radio, so it's rather like using the keyboard for RV.

Geoff

Posted: 19 May 2006, 22:33
piN
Hi Geoff,

Shame I missed that show, I would have gone as I live near Kew. I used to make fighting robots for the Robot Wars TV show and often wondered if the contents of my workshop would cause the police to ask questions :) still got the robot and it works fine its just a bit rusty.

I have done a few lego robots as well which is a bit easer to do and they dont weigh 100+ kilos

Josh

Posted: 19 May 2006, 22:48
J0nN0
COOOOOOOOL.

You used to do robots for Robot Wars!! WICKED!! Did you ever get on TV????

How long did it take you to make it???? B)

J0nN0

Posted: 20 May 2006, 00:25
piN
3 or 4 times I think, the first bot about 6 months the second 3weeks and 4 months to get right lol, great fun. I also did robot building workshops at schools for the BBC which was great.

Josh - piN

Posted: 20 May 2006, 06:51
Manmountain
J0nN0 @ May 19 2006, 06:18 PM wrote:You used to do robots for Robot Wars!! WICKED!!  Did you ever get on TV????
LOL :lol:
Yes he did, I saw him and his Robot, Rhoobarb!
They performed quite well untill Rhoobarb got spiked.

My wife thought that Josh's slightly balding head made him look a bit dishy, but that's another story, lol :D

Ever thought of making a Rhoobarb RV model Josh ?
I would help in making some crazy params. ;)

Posted: 20 May 2006, 14:16
piN
Intresting idea, might have a go see what it looks like.
My wife thought that Josh's slightly balding head made him look a bit dishy, but that's another story, lol 
Only a bit? ;)

Posted: 27 Jan 2008, 03:07
Adamodell
Manmountain @ May 20 2006, 02:21 AM wrote:
J0nN0 @ May 19 2006, 06:18 PM wrote:You used to do robots for Robot Wars!! WICKED!!  Did you ever get on TV????

My wife thought that Josh's slightly balding head made him look a bit dishy, but that's another story, lol :D

I want to see it, and where the hell is he?

Posted: 27 Jan 2008, 04:42
jaseaka
Adamodell @ Jan 26 2008, 04:37 PM wrote:
Manmountain @ May 20 2006, 02:21 AM wrote:

I want to see it, and where the hell is he?
here vid founded on youtube

***Roobarb the robot***
hopes it the right one

Posted: 27 Jan 2008, 05:47
revoltkid
battle bots r way better :ph43r:

Posted: 27 Jan 2008, 07:43
jaseaka
battle bots is what it's called in the US? b/c when i found this vid on utube, i remember i watch one episode of some fighting robots, then i thought. well i dont remember it being overseas and hearing an accent. but now i see that's it seperate shows...

Posted: 27 Jan 2008, 21:05
Manmountain
3:24 in to video you will here the commentator state the captains name, 'Josh Pinto' ;)

Posted: 28 Jan 2008, 01:08
Dave-o-rama
and like, 10 seconds into the vid, the announcer says "way out man, its got holograms!" lol :lol:

is pin still around?

Posted: 08 Feb 2008, 09:28
APM
lol I forget what channel battle bots is on... isn't it the Science channel? I really wanna see it again. =[
I used to love it when I was little! I even drew my own bot. Shaggy, I called it, because it went good with how it looked. It looked like a box with ramps on 3 sides so the other bots would fly away when they charged me. In the front was a blade, just a normal blade.
Now I realize that I would have literally been crushed. There are some pretty heavy bots out there, and not all of them are too fast. I would also be providing an easy point to drill into my armor; it may take a while to shake any bots off my back.
I still want to make a bot, but I don't have any designs yet. I'm thinking of going with the big, bulky type. They seem pretty good.
Sooo how did you guys come up with the design, Mr. Pinto? What do you think the flaws in Rhoobarb were and how do you think you could have made it better? Are there any limitations, or are the only limits your ideas and budget? I'm so very interested in this... even if Battle Bots and Robot Wars are different shows, I'm supposing that they have similar rules.
Regards,
APM
PS Isn't it interesting how piN took over your topic with just one post?