Page 1 of 1
Posted: 17 Aug 2017, 05:54
mr_gr1mm
To whom it may concern,

I know that I am about to ask something that you are all sick of hearing, but I just installed this game and am having issues getting online play to work. I've already scoured the forums and help pages for leads but I can't find anything I'm doing wrong.

Here's the version I have installed: [rvgl.exe (x64-bit), rvhouse.exe and revole.exe]

As I mentioned before, I've already spent hours reading through all of the material you guys have posted online but I feel like I'm running in circles here. To summarize, here is the core of my unresolved issues:

#1) rvhouse will not connect via P2P

I have already forwarded all of the ports mentioned in the help.doc and various other help pages on RV Pub, etc. I have also completely disabled my local firewall...

#2) revole.exe or rvgl.exe?

I am confused as to which version of revolt you guys are used to playing. I assume rvgl.exe is the go-to, as it is hi-res and looks great. But for some reason I needed to install the 2.07 patch and run the "revolt.exe" in order to get rvhouse to shut up, and that version looks like a turd covered in ice cream sprinkles (it looks to be a direct port of the N64 version).

Does rvhouse rely on the N64 ported version for net play?? Or is it smart enough to use rvgl.exe?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 17 Aug 2017, 18:08
MarvTheM
Greetings! I feel concerned, so I'll answer.

#1) rvhouse will not connect via P2P

First of all, RVHouse is pretty broken. As long as you can see people chattings and rooms, everything is alright.
In fact, RVGL doesn't need any ports to be forwarded. Only if you want to host races, you should forward port 2310 UDP.

In order to use RVGL with RVHouse, you need to go to the settings (Edit -> Settings) and enter the path to the RVGL folder (not the .exe) like this.

I usually don't bother with RVHouse and join online games by copying the host's ip and pasting it into the game. The IPs are mostly announced on our Discord server.
Many races are announced on online.re-volt.io.

Here's another little guide for playing online: http://archive.re-volt.io/articles/playing-online

#2) revolt.exe or rvgl.exe?

rvgl.exe belongs to RVGL, the most recent version of the game. We're using this to play online.
revolt.exe belongs to any version older than that (1.2 and below). This is rarely used for playing online.

RVHouse was built for versions older than RVGL, that's why it's still looking for the registry entries. Even if you entered the RVGL path in the RVHouse settings, it will keep asking you to install the game since it doesnt' find it. See this as a bug.

The older versions have nothing to do with the N64 version. The network code form older versions was based on directplay from directx. RVGL makes use of enet.
All RVHouse does is launch the game and connect to an IP address.

If anything else doesn't work, try downloading the full game from re-volt.io. It comes with the game files and the most recent version which we use to play online.

I hope this helped. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear.

Posted: 17 Aug 2017, 18:54
Abc
revolt.exe not revole.exe
you should check out my troubleshooting guide, it's old but serves well but not everything.

you should be playing on gameranger too. marv is self-advertising
RVH depends on old versions.

original version vis barely played, 1.2 is the latest legacy. rvgl is the open source port. under windows 8.1 and newwer you need to install the legacy component called directplay in optionalfeatures.exe.
while the original game is branched with ps1 and n64, 1207 and up being an exception because of Dreamcast. there's no relationship between them technically.

pro tip: please be a detective of yourself and research further. the information you looking for is posted somewhere.

Posted: 17 Aug 2017, 19:09
MarvTheM
marv is self-advertising
Do you have anything helpful to show?

Posted: 17 Aug 2017, 22:57
Dolo
I'm agree with ABC...

RV House is totally obsolete. Gameranger or Voobly are clearly more complete and functional.
Even the original re-volt works better on these plateforms and no need to open ports...
And i don't speak about RVGL, this thing with a gameplay totally useless and uninteresting.