Page 1 of 1
Posted: 20 Jan 2017, 17:23
MaLDo
If I set left and right analog triggers in the gamepad to control acceleration/brake, then the menu up/down controls are tied to analog triggers instead of left stick / dpad.

This problem doesn't exist in 1.2 version, only in RVGL.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted in the wrong forum. This is a suggestion thread.
[Vaid]: Moved.

Posted: 21 Feb 2017, 00:41
Huki
I've attempted to fix this in the latest release (17.0215a). I don't have a controller to test, so let me know in case it's not working or if it broke something else.

Posted: 21 Feb 2017, 01:20
Gotolei
Different person, but left stick is working in the menus for me in the latest release :thumbs-up:
(dualshock 3, linux x64)

Might there be a chance of having the menu forward/back bindings be different (or configurable) from the fire/pause bindings if a controller is enabled as well? Using the pause button to go back doesn't quite make sense when it's the start button on a controller.

Posted: 18 Mar 2017, 14:33
Huki
Gotolei @ 21 Feb 2017, 01:20 AM wrote: Might there be a chance of having the menu forward/back bindings be different (or configurable) from the fire/pause bindings if a controller is enabled as well? Using the pause button to go back doesn't quite make sense when it's the start button on a controller.
If it's a modern controller (with named buttons), I can add default forward/back buttons in addition to whatever is set for fire/pause. Which buttons do you suggest? A and B perhaps?

Posted: 19 Mar 2017, 16:00
Abc
menu binds should be separate for controllers, not tied to gameplay bindings

Maybe default to button 0 and button 1 for advance and back respectively?

i would just expand the possible binds for controllers, maybe keyboard too

Posted: 19 Mar 2017, 23:57
Gotolei
Assuming that means A and B as on xbox controllers, then yeah that sounds fine. I'm using a playstation controller that has different face buttons, but I'm guessing that the driver or sdl or something probably takes that into account.

Posted: 20 Mar 2017, 00:26
Huki
Gotolei @ 19 Mar 2017, 11:57 PM wrote: Assuming that means A and B as on xbox controllers, then yeah that sounds fine. I'm using a playstation controller that has different face buttons, but I'm guessing that the driver or sdl or something probably takes that into account.
Yes, that should be handled by SDL. Just in case you want to confirm, you can enter your playstation buttons in Controller Config and check the displayed button name.

Posted: 20 Mar 2017, 00:57
Gotolei
Huki @ 19 Mar 2017, 12:56 PM wrote:Yes, that should be handled by SDL. Just in case you want to confirm, you can enter your playstation buttons in Controller Config and check the displayed button name.
Well then, guess it doesn't after all. :/[hide=Screenshot][/hide]

Posted: 20 Mar 2017, 01:40
Huki
Hmm looks like it's not even using SDL's GameController system and falls back to plain Joystick API. PS3/Dualshock is supposed to be supported by SDL GameController. I'll post a test build later. If you're on Linux, try on Windows if possible.

Posted: 20 Mar 2017, 02:56
Gotolei
Looks like it's a known issue, at least in the community: https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameCont ... /issues/66

It is possible to stick that line in an export in the launch script though. Looks like things are working as far as the game itself is concerned.
[hide=Screenshot][/hide]
[hide=Offtopic]All cards on the table, I have had a couple hard-freezes/crashes that took out the whole system that, both times it happened (the first sometime last month and the second just today while testing), only happened during or immediately after using a controller with rvgl. Not sure where one would even start with debugging that though, or if it's even related[/hide]

Posted: 24 Mar 2017, 08:49
Huki
Gotolei @ 20 Mar 2017, 02:56 AM wrote:Looks like it's a known issue, at least in the community: https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameCont ... /issues/66

It is possible to stick that line in an export in the launch script though. Looks like things are working as far as the game itself is concerned.
That's a great find. I'm going to include the community managed database with the next release so it will be loaded automatically at RVGL startup.
[hide=Offtopic]All cards on the table, I have had a couple hard-freezes/crashes that took out the whole system that, both times it happened (the first sometime last month and the second just today while testing), only happened during or immediately after using a controller with rvgl. Not sure where one would even start with debugging that though, or if it's even related[/hide]
I suggest running RVGL in windowed mode from now on. That way you can confirm if it really freezes the whole system or just the RVGL window. If it's really a problem with the system, have you considered upgrading your Ubuntu? If I remember correctly, you had a really old release, right?

Posted: 24 Mar 2017, 10:19
Gotolei
Huki @ 23 Mar 2017, 09:19 PM wrote:
I suggest running RVGL in windowed mode from now on. That way you can confirm if it really freezes the whole system or just the RVGL window. If it's really a problem with the system, have you considered upgrading your Ubuntu? If I remember correctly, you had a really old release, right?
I'm actually running 16.04 now, and I've been running RVGL in maximized windowed mode since the first weeks or so of it being out since it has a way of randomly crashing/glitching when in fullscreen. And yeah afaict the system was completely locked up... mouse stuck in place, couldn't change windows/workspaces, couldn't ctrl-alt-f1, nothing short of a full reisub got any response. I don't know how it's even possible for a game to cause that, but I'm not seeing any other connections :/