Page 1 of 1
Posted: 15 Jan 2017, 16:07
Hey, currently in Multi-Player you can only play Single Race and Battle Tag.
I'd love to be able to play Clockwork Carnage and Practice modes too!
Clockwork Carnage is always really fun and frantic, and Practice mode is nice for just messing around.
Would that be possible to implement?

Posted: 15 Jan 2017, 17:12
Kipy
You can open a Clockwork room asking players to use the ClockWork car.
Why do you need practice mode online?

Posted: 15 Jan 2017, 21:42
Kipy @ 15 Jan 2017, 12:42 PM wrote: You can open a Clockwork room asking players to use the ClockWork car.
Why do you need practice mode online?
I'm not looking to use either of these modes online.
It's not about Clockwork to me, it's about having 30 of the same car. I hardly ever have it set to Clockwork anyway.

Posted: 15 Jan 2017, 22:17
VaiDuX461
Since the start of v1.2 patch (which was in 2010), no new game modes have been implemented so far.
I don't know what Huki's thoughts are on this stuff and when he will plan to do so, if he ever will at all. But I'm pretty sure one of the reasons is the difficulty implementing them. People who always suggest new games modes or content usually never think about technical problems. Adding something new could easily break something already existing in the code. I mean, there are/were plenty of issues to deal with multiplayer stability and lags already, new game modes is something else. Also, considering not very fast pacing of new patch builds and features, this would take a looong time.

Original intent of the patch (specifically for v1.2) was to fix bugs and add some new features, but not something huge like new game modes and new content. The recent DC content support in RVGL was quite an achievement after so many years, for me at least.

---
If this was really a thing and I was a developer, I'd start from implementing Time Trial or Clockwork Carnage modes for multiplayer. The latter being much more simple, which is basically Single Race with 30 hardcoded cars having individual, randomly set colour and modified STARTGRID, specifically made for this mode.
While Time Trial would be a much bigger hassle. I'd propose the mode to behave similarly to Trackmania's Time Trial. Which is making the fastest lap in defined time limit, how it acts like in Battle Tag. Car to car collision would be disabled, turned off pickups and no lap limit.

Posted: 16 Jan 2017, 19:47
VaiDuX461 @ 15 Jan 2017, 05:47 PM wrote: If this was really a thing and I was a developer, I'd start from implementing Time Trial or Clockwork Carnage modes for multiplayer. The latter being much more simple, which is basically Single Race with 30 hardcoded cars having individual, randomly set colour and modified STARTGRID, specifically made for this mode.
But we've already got all of that for the Single Player Clockwork Carnage mode, right? Why would you need to recode it for multi-player? I'd think it'd work largely the same.

Posted: 16 Jan 2017, 20:14
VaiDuX461
607 @ 16 Jan 2017, 04:17 PM wrote:But we've already got all of that for the Single Player Clockwork Carnage mode, right? Why would you need to recode it for multi-player? I'd think it'd work largely the same.
You wouldn't need to re-code it completely, hence why this would be one of the easiest "modes" to add to multiplayer. (Clockwork Carnage is a Single Race with minor modifications)

Extending the limit for maximum connections is the problem (+12 players).

Posted: 17 Jan 2017, 22:00
VaiDuX461 @ 16 Jan 2017, 03:44 PM wrote:
607 @ 16 Jan 2017, 04:17 PM wrote:But we've already got all of that for the Single Player Clockwork Carnage mode, right? Why would you need to recode it for multi-player? I'd think it'd work largely the same.
You wouldn't need to re-code it completely, hence why this would be one of the easiest "modes" to add to multiplayer. (Clockwork Carnage is a Single Race with minor modifications)

Extending the limit for maximum connections is the problem (+12 players).
Yeah, but I wouldn't really see why you'd want Clockwork Carnage mode in Online Multi-Player, as you could simply, as Kipy said, ask players to use a specific car.
However, in Split-Screen mode, which I play most often, you can actually have CPU racers, and thus there wouldn't be any problems with connections. You would still have 2-4 players, and then 26-28 CPU's.

Posted: 18 Jan 2017, 06:09
VaiDuX461
607 @ 17 Jan 2017, 06:30 PM wrote:Yeah, but I wouldn't really see why you'd want Clockwork Carnage mode in Online Multi-Player, as you could simply, as Kipy said, ask players to use a specific car.
However, in Split-Screen mode, which I play most often, you can actually have CPU racers, and thus there wouldn't be any problems with connections. You would still have 2-4 players, and then 26-28 CPU's.
It's in the list of single player selectable modes, why not? Also, 12 player limit (which, I know, could possibly be increased in Single Race mode as well).
While asking people to use the specific car is a very simplistic solution, it doesn't always work. Clockwork Carnage, for example, enforces you to use the clockwork car instead.

Split-screen multiplayer and Online multiplayer are indeed two different things, they work differently. But, if one added a new game mode to split-screen, it would have to come on online part as well, due to possible complains, and maybe consistency (I believe both MP modes shares same UI elements, at least for game mode selection).

Posted: 20 Jan 2017, 16:08
VaiDuX461 @ 18 Jan 2017, 01:39 AM wrote: It's in the list of single player selectable modes, why not? Also, 12 player limit (which, I know, could possibly be increased in Single Race mode as well).
While asking people to use the specific car is a very simplistic solution, it doesn't always work. Clockwork Carnage, for example, enforces you to use the clockwork car instead.

Split-screen multiplayer and Online multiplayer are indeed two different things, they work differently. But, if one added a new game mode to split-screen, it would have to come on online part as well, due to possible complains, and maybe consistency (I believe both MP modes shares same UI elements, at least for game mode selection).
Okay! That's fine to me!
But I myself am only wanting the split-screen variant, so if complications with online multi-player would come up it'd be a shame if that would be the reason to not have Carnage Multi-Player at all.
Anyway, I'm not sure if this will be implemented any time soon, but I sure hope so!

Posted: 08 Jul 2017, 23:33
I'm not sure if bumps are in any way appreciated, but I wonder if this will be remembered otherwise!
I'm still really looking forward to this being implemented, supposing it's a possibility. :)

Posted: 10 Jul 2017, 10:12
Abc
this may be considered soon, now with proven abilities of 12+ cars in multiplayer.

DISCLAIMER: my own opinion, not in behalf of anyone