Page 1 of 1
Posted: 22 Sep 2016, 22:56
Huki
RVGL 16.0920a is released.
rvgl_16.0920a_win32.7z
rvgl_16.0920a_win64.7z
rvgl_16.0920a_linux.7z
changelog

Dreamcast integration: The previous release added native support for Rooftops. This release brings support for the 14 DC cars, including BigVolt and BossVolt. See these posts for more information.
The entire Dreamcast pack is provided as an optional download. Get it here:
rvgl_dc_pack.7z
The pack includes:
- Rooftops track.
- 14 DC cars with signed parameters (to remove the CHT label).
- Updated frontend: adds BigVolt and BossVolt to the carbox stack.
- The original DC frontend: adds all cars to the carbox stack (see below on how to use this).

The included cars have parameters taken from the community pack (Dec 2014 mediafire update), with some significant changes:
- The Y offsets of some cars (like RVLoco and FulonX) were restored from the DC version.
- RV Loco has modified parameters: heightened CoM a bit and reduced speed. It still "feels" the same way, but it now fits better with other cars IMO.

The DC frontend files can be found in frontend\custom\dc. If you want to use the DC frontend, simply copy the .fin and .fob from the "dc" folder to the parent frontend\custom. RVGL will then load these instead of the default .fin and .fob. To switch back to the default frontend, delete the copies from frontend\custom. This avoids the need to backup / replace any files. Thanks to Vaid for info about the DC frontend.fin file.

GameController support: Added support for PS3 / XBox360 and other modern controllers. If you're using one of these controllers, you can now use the Triggers, and the button and axis names should be displayed in the controller config screen. See this post for more info.

Network update: This release also brings some experimental network changes. I originally didn't plan to include them with the release, but my initial tests showed they were an improvement over current code, so I'm going ahead with this.
- The remote player delay is now no more: I've used an alternate way to keep the animation smooth without having to use the delay. This should result in better response to weapons.
- I increased the packets per second, meaning RVGL will utilize more bandwidth than before. If you're hosting, make sure you have a good connection.
- Updated the network version: this release is made not compatible with previous RVGL versions.
Be sure to post any online related feedback in the dedicated Multiplayer thread.

Various bugfixes: In addition to the above, there are several odd bugfixes, making this the biggest ever RVGL update yet. Check the changelog for a complete list of all changes.

Huki

Posted: 23 Sep 2016, 02:36
VaiDuX461
So far so good.

I've noticed, due to the last change with car IDs, it is now impossible to set custom carboxes for special cars (at least UFO and Mystery, from what I've tested). TCARBOX string does not work on them.

Are they by chance (or by mistake, because they have working carbox IDs now) hardcoded/mapped in frontend textures?
Probably not, but the game would try or want to do that, since TCARBOX string is ignored by stock cars.
If there's a need for hardcoding, then J tex page is still available. Page G or I doesn't have enough room for all of them (unless use question mark one for Mystery, meaning six out of seven 85x85 boxes would be used, just enough to fit).

Posted: 25 Sep 2016, 01:34
GreatLamer
Thanks for the release. And thanks for that huge work.

Posted: 26 Sep 2016, 00:41
Huki
VaiDuX461 @ 23 Sep 2016, 02:36 AM wrote: I've noticed, due to the last change with car IDs, it is now impossible to set custom carboxes for special cars (at least UFO and Mystery, from what I've tested). TCARBOX string does not work on them.
Yes, because of the recent changes, even special cars can have their own carbox on the shelf, which means they cannot use a custom TCARBOX. They should be mapped to one of the frontend textures, and as you guessed, the mapping doesn't exist yet. I've already planned on adding this mapping, but kept it aside for now.
GreatLamer @ 25 Sep 2016, 01:34 AM wrote:Thanks for the release. And thanks for that huge work.
Sure, glad you enjoy it. :)

Posted: 28 Sep 2016, 16:58
JulZz
Game crashes when you 'give up a try' (before a race ends). Not sure if this was a previous issue or not, I'm new to this.
Other than that fantastic job :D :thumbs-up:

Posted: 03 Oct 2016, 04:52
Alphacraft
This DC integration is terrific :D One thing that's always bugged me about RV though is the the Antialias option has never worked; it's not a huge deal to go into my graphics control panel and force it there, but many of my PC's have drivers that either have awful control panels (*cough* Intel *cough*) or drivers without a control panel at all. Would you be able to implement some kind of working antialiasing into RVGL Huki? Even if it's FSAA/SSAA it'll still be nice to have vs no AA at all.

Posted: 03 Oct 2016, 20:49
MightyCucumber
This is a wonderful update to RVGL, and a great step forward, good job Huki! :D

I have a question though, will DC cars (and Rotor) selectable by AI in the championships be a thing in the future? I thought that with their inclusion they'd appear as opponents, but that doesnt seem to be the case yet. Please consider that (and fixing the aforemention bug with the championship retries).

Thank you for not giving up and continuing to improve RVGL! :thumbs-up:

Posted: 04 Oct 2016, 00:25
Huki
Alphacraft @ 3 Oct 2016, 04:52 AM wrote:This DC integration is terrificĀ  :D One thing that's always bugged me about RV though is the the Antialias option has never worked; it's not a huge deal to go into my graphics control panel and force it there, but many of my PC's have drivers that either have awful control panels (*cough* Intel *cough*) or drivers without a control panel at all. Would you be able to implement some kind of working antialiasing into RVGL Huki? Even if it's FSAA/SSAA it'll still be nice to have vs no AA at all.
Having a working Antialias option in RVGL is already planned, but I must have forgotten about it. It seems I may need it myself as the Linux driver doesn't seem to provide application specific overrides (at least not through the GUI). I'll see about implementing that for the next release.

MightyCucumber @ 3 Oct 2016, 08:49 PM wrote:I have a question though, will DC cars (and Rotor) selectable by AI in the championships be a thing in the future? I thought that with their inclusion they'd appear as opponents, but that doesnt seem to be the case yet. Please consider that (and fixing the aforemention bug with the championship retries).
The DC cars don't appear in the championships as I've decided to keep the PC championship structure at least for the time being. They do appear in single races though.
Some special cars (Rotor, Panga, BigVolt, BossVolt) are not selected as AI. The behavior is currently hardcoded, but this is a temporary situation. Eventually all hardcoded car parameters should be moved to the parameters.txt files, making it possible to edit and change these things.
MightyCucumber @ 3 Oct 2016, 08:49 PM wrote:(and fixing the aforemention bug with the championship retries).
Do you mean the game crashes upon pressing Give up try? That's very strange because I can't reproduce the crash (tried on Linux and Windows 7). Can you confirm the exact bug you're experiencing? (i.e., is it a crash like in Julzz's case?)

Posted: 04 Oct 2016, 02:57
MightyCucumber
Glad to hear that the hardcoded cars will be controled by the AI in the future! :)

About the bug, yes, it's exactly as Julzz describes it. I see the race isn't going anywhere, so I pause the game and press Give Up Try - the game imediately crashes. Doesn't happen at the end of the race though.

Also, I might be wrong because I haven't tested this extensively, but I think the game also crashes when it tries to load a new model for example, when I'm creating a car and testing out several different prms - if I replace one of the models or change some lines in the parameters and restart the race so the models are reloaded, sometimes (if not always) I get a crash.

Posted: 04 Oct 2016, 23:23
Skarma

Did I do something wrong? Or is it because of my custom frontend? Nevermind, fixed.

Posted: 05 Oct 2016, 09:19
JulZz
Skarma @ 4 Oct 2016, 06:53 PM wrote:

Did I do something wrong? Or is it because of my custom frontend? Nevermind, fixed.
Any chance u could share that custom car shelf? Looks a whole lot better than on the floor. :thumbs-up:

Posted: 16 Oct 2016, 19:44
Huki
MightyCucumber @ 4 Oct 2016, 02:57 AM wrote:About the bug, yes, it's exactly as Julzz describes it. I see the race isn't going anywhere, so I pause the game and press Give Up Try - the game imediately crashes. Doesn't happen at the end of the race though.
I was finally able to reproduce the crash on give up try. I've tracked it down and fixed it.
MightyCucumber wrote:Also, I might be wrong because I haven't tested this extensively, but I think the game also crashes when it tries to load a new model for example, when I'm creating a car and testing out several different prms - if I replace one of the models or change some lines in the parameters and restart the race so the models are reloaded, sometimes (if not always) I get a crash.
It could be a problem with the specific model. I can't think of any other reason for now. Models are unloaded completely and loaded afresh on restart, so there shouldn't be any difference between reloading and loading the first time.

Posted: 17 Oct 2016, 07:46
MightyCucumber
Huki @ 16 Oct 2016, 03:14 PM wrote:
MightyCucumber wrote:Also, I might be wrong because I haven't tested this extensively, but I think the game also crashes when it tries to load a new model for example, when I'm creating a car and testing out several different prms - if I replace one of the models or change some lines in the parameters and restart the race so the models are reloaded, sometimes (if not always) I get a crash.
It could be a problem with the specific model. I can't think of any other reason for now. Models are unloaded completely and loaded afresh on restart, so there shouldn't be any difference between reloading and loading the first time.
After more thorough testing, I found out that this has nothing to do with loading new models, but rather happens randomly whenever I restart the race when I'm half way through it (but not at the end of the race). It shares some similarities with the Championship bug as in the bug never happens when the race is already over, but happens quite often if I set the race to restart in the middle of it (lets say, 1 out of 3/4 times I try to restart a race I get this bug). The loading just stops at the very end and in about five seconds a message pops up saying that RVGL has stopped responding.

Another issue (not a bug, but I thought I'd mention it) is regarding the Calculate Car Stats mode - this mode automatically creates a Camera line in the parameters, so that cars that already had their cameras set in the hood/cockpit due to the default position of their hull, ultimately end up with the front and rear camera near the ground (or at least that's what happened with one of my cars in particular, haven't tested others).

Posted: 17 Oct 2016, 20:36
Huki
Can you post a log after it crashes?
I'll see about fixing the generated camera section when saving parameters.

Posted: 19 Oct 2016, 15:33
MightyCucumber
The bug was probably caused by obsolete files/folders I had laying around the RVGL folder (I've been playing this game for a loooong time and there was probably layers upon layers of junk that interfered with RVGL's functionality).

I did a fresh install and so far so good, so it probably wasn't your fault (though I'll report back if it ever happens again).

As for the camera, hope you can fix that. :thumbs-up:

Posted: 19 Oct 2016, 20:34
MightyCucumber
Sorry for the double-post Huki, but I figured this might be better to raise your awereness. It's just that the latest RVGL seems to have messed with how .bmqs (or at least some of them) are shown in-game:

I noticed this in one of my latest cars, and now on this one - it was fine in 1.2 and now looks like this in RVGL.

Also, some cameras in TVTIME mode seem broken in some parts of the track (Ghost Town for example)?... Is this a known issue?

PS: How do you take screenshots in RVGL, ahah? :huh:

Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 06:18
revolting
Love it special thanks to devs, Nice playing on mac os X sierra, yet it stresses my cpu fan and drains my battery, also the dc cars are not quite completely integrated so as to race a championship against them are the? not the one time I've tried