Page 1 of 1
Posted: 20 Aug 2016, 01:55
sonicpl
So. i've lately decided to re-install Re-Volt my beloved childhood game. i did it once and i modded myself some cool cars etc. So after i re-installed it and downloaded the package to make it windows 7 compatible and downloaded some cars i began to have issues...

First i downloaded a car pack from the DreamCast version and the rooftop map. everything went kind of wierd. the cards wont load for some reason at all. but then after i installed some single cars i began having serious issues with the cars. When i went into preview (AKA car choosing) the car box was there and the car model was loaded in fine. as soon as i try to launch a level while it has been chosen it straight up crashes my game. I checked normal cars, works. I checked the dreamcast pack cars, works. Before the game launched me up in the menu it showed me a bunch of boxes named "Unrecognizable word" and a selection of words i think from the parameter text files or something other.

I would really appriciate some help on how to fix the issue, etc. i just really want to expirience my good old game with some of communities fine mods.

Im actively testing reasons why could it "break".
Nope. even vanilla cars break now. i dont understand what could've gone wrong. Any ideas?

Posted: 20 Aug 2016, 03:54
VaiDuX461
Welcome.

Since official game versions (up to v1.1) are obsolete in terms of functionality and OS compatibility, a lot of custom content nowadays require you to have 1.2 alpha patch or RVGL installed.
"Unrecognizable word" pop-ups appear, because your version does not support a specific car parameter introduced in before-mentioned game versions.

For a better stability with some custom tracks, I suggest using 1.2. For latest updates and features, you'll have to go with RVGL.

Posted: 20 Aug 2016, 04:09
sonicpl
VaiDuX461 @ 19 Aug 2016, 11:24 PM wrote: Welcome.

Since official game versions (up to v1.1) are obsolete in terms of functionality and OS compatibility, a lot of custom content nowadays require you to have 1.2 alpha patch or RVGL installed.
"Unrecognizable word" pop-ups appear, because your version does not support a specific car parameter introduced in before-mentioned game versions.
Well that explains why the pop-ups appear. Altough it doesnt explain why out of the blue did my game stop working. Should i just re-install it? Or is there any way to "check" what folder/custom thing i downloaded is causing this?

Thanks for the tip about "Unrecognizable word" pop ups! I will now be sure to remove cars that cause this trouble for now untill the problem is overall fixed.

Posted: 20 Aug 2016, 04:15
VaiDuX461
sonicpl @ 20 Aug 2016, 12:39 AM wrote:Altough it doesnt explain why out of the blue did my game stop working. Should i just re-install it?
A lot of loading crashes are also fixed in these versions, so getting one of them is highly recommended.
If you're getting loading errors with stock cars/tracks (even with 1.2 or RVGL), I'm afraid you will have to reinstall the game.

Posted: 20 Aug 2016, 04:20
sonicpl
VaiDuX461 @ 19 Aug 2016, 11:45 PM wrote:
sonicpl @ 20 Aug 2016, 12:39 AM wrote:Altough it doesnt explain why out of the blue did my game stop working. Should i just re-install it?
A lot of loading crashes are also fixed in these versions, so getting one of them is highly recommended.
If you're getting loading errors with stock cars/tracks (even with 1.2 or RVGL), I'm afraid you will have to reinstall the game.
Ahh i see. I can explain what is happening, but overall im just going to try and see if un-installing purely every mod car but the dreamcast pack will fix anything. also i overall have that version installed right now. And it happens like this: I load up the game, a bunch of "Unrecognizable word:" pop ups appear , i just skip them one by one. Im in the menu. Nothing wierd nothing out of place, i decide to pick a normal vanilla RC car (decided to go with the tractor cuz i remember having a lot of fun with my brother with it). picked a stage and right after the stage loaded up it just says that "Re-Volt.exe has stopped working"

Thanks for all the tips tho. Really will use them in the future if i ever screw anything up!

Posted: 20 Aug 2016, 04:36
VaiDuX461
sonicpl @ 20 Aug 2016, 12:50 AM wrote:also i overall have that version installed right now. And it happens like this: I load up the game, a bunch of "Unrecognizable word:" pop ups appear , i just skip them one by one.
It is also very important to know that there are multiple v1.2 patches (as well as RVGL). Pop-ups should not appear with the very last v1.2 Alpha 15.0420 (rv1.2a15.0420) build. While with RVGL, all builds should be fine. You can find your v1.2/RVGL version on the bottom left corner in the main menu.

Posted: 20 Aug 2016, 05:10
sonicpl
VaiDuX461 @ 20 Aug 2016, 12:06 AM wrote:
sonicpl @ 20 Aug 2016, 12:50 AM wrote:also i overall have that version installed right now. And it happens like this: I load up the game, a bunch of "Unrecognizable word:" pop ups appear , i just skip them one by one.
It is also very important to know that there are multiple v1.2 patches (as well as RVGL). Pop-ups should not appear with the very last v1.2 Alpha 15.0420 (rv1.2a15.0420) build. While with RVGL, all builds should be fine. You can find your v1.2/RVGL version on the bottom left corner in the main menu.
I highly appriciate the help. Really explained a lot of things i had trouble with. Now looking at it it might've been the version of re-volt files themselves. I installed a pirated version of the GOG.com version because my re-volt disk got lost somewhere. Now i found
http://re-volt.me/rvm/downloads/games
And i suppose it will have the right files. Soon after i will update the game to work on Windows 7 with the special patches and see how everything will go.
Again thanks a lot for helping me out! A lot of times people dont help me out because they "dont have time for a stupid little kid that doesnt know anything about a game and then comes whining on the forums about it".
Im glad i found such a great community in one of my most beloved games. (also one of the firsts! Rip windows XP you will be missed ;-;7)