Page 1 of 1
Posted: 29 May 2016, 19:17
dr_ellert
Hello and greetings :)
I'm new around here so I'll try to be as coherent as possible.
First of all I use a thing called Steam Link (on which you can find info here). Basically what it does is screen-mirror my desktop pc (and the desktop itself) via Ethernet connection to my smart TV in my living room. Result? I can play Re-Volt on my living room without the need of moving my PC the entirety of the three rooms between them. Well, at least it did.
I played the basic version of Re-Volt (That used to CTD and not save) and that worked with Steam Link. Even though I didn't want it to keep crashing so I added the 1.2 Patch... and the game works perfectly... Except it doesn't show via the streaming :( Only a black screen and no sound.
Don't get me wrong: The game works. On the monitor in my room I can see it works, but for some reason it doesn't show on the TV. Just in case I tried other games I own (Steam and Non-Steam) and they all worked fine. It's Re-Volt 1.2 that doesn't want to stream.
Anyway I turned to Steam through their forums but they haven't answered yet. They're probably busy, and will take their time to answer me. So I thought - maybe you guys know something about it? Maybe some of you have encountered it before?

Thank you for your attention.

Posted: 29 May 2016, 22:55
Manmountain
Welcome :)
So is your TV hard wired by ethernet to your PC or is it wireless ?
How did you control the game from three rooms away ?

Have you tried the RVGL version ?

Posted: 30 May 2016, 01:44
dr_ellert
Manmountain @ 29 May 2016, 06:25 PM wrote:Welcome :)
So is your TV hard wired by ethernet to your PC or is it wireless ?
How did you control the game from three rooms away ?

Have you tried the RVGL version ?
First of all: thank you for commenting for me :)
Second: Actually the way it works is like so:
(*) The TV is connected to the Steam Link (via HDMI cable)
(*) The Steam Link is connected to the router (via Ethernet cable)
(*) My Desktop PC is also connected to the Router (via Ethernet cable)

The Steam Link does all the work: it "magically" (and I use this word since I seriously have no idea how it does what it does) configures and desktop-mirroring my PC to the living room. And in case I'm not clear (because I think I did a lame job explaining) I'll try my best: The Steam Link is like this little streaming box that you can plug your XBOX controller\Keyboard & Mouse, then connect your TV and it sort-of making you able to play as if you were sitting in your room. When it loads up you see a special Steam Graphic User Interface which is called "Big Picture" (that is my Desktop PC, it's just that the Big Picture is more comfortable to use with XBOX controller. In a way it mimics console menus).

And, a, pardon me for my ignorance... RVGL version?

Posted: 30 May 2016, 05:19
sebr
RVGL

rvgl = revolt 1.2 OpenGL rewrite

Posted: 30 May 2016, 05:46
dr_ellert
sebr @ 30 May 2016, 12:49 AM wrote: RVGL

rvgl = revolt 1.2 OpenGL rewrite
Thank you! I'll try that and report soon if it fixed it.

Posted: 30 May 2016, 15:49
Abc
Usually any game that you cant see over VNC/RFB/remote control software means you'll not be able to see it altrough theres some exceptions.... steam streaming is a particular one, similar to Chrome/Chromium desktop casting.

mainly fullscreen games do not display, the legacy version is DirectDraw, that's why. OpenGL works better for this... (actually direct draw displays fine over vnc but steam one is optimized for D3D, you surely need about the same specs as for recording/streaming gameplay.

Steamlink is a small home theater computer designed specifically for steam streaming, uses a modified SteamOS, which is linux based, designed to use big picture, its no different that from pc to pc.

Nothing to worry about. just use rvgl

offtopic: with chrome desktop casting, windowed and borderless fullscreen works best for both vnc/rfb and chrome, fullscreen is actually using "exclusive" video modes which apparently the chrome caster doesnt handle it very well.

Just a technical explaination to your issue from own experience and welcome to the forum :) (better late than never)

Posted: 30 May 2016, 21:21
dr_ellert
Thanks everyone for heart-warming support! and thanks Abc for the non-useful-yet-interesting info about Steam-Link :)

I installed the files from the RVGL to my Re-Volt directory. Even though my windows is 64bit I understood it was irrelevant to the RVGL files (stated that it should work on either version of windows).
So I put them all in the directory and double clicked rvgl.exe ...
And black screen :( no sound no nothing. Just plain black screen. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?
(And I didn't even try it on the Steam Link)

Posted: 31 May 2016, 20:15
sebr
1) sometime the 1st rvgl run can be a bit long and stay on a the black screen (never more than 1min)

2) did you try again revolt 1.2 ? if it's work or not ?

3) on your rvgl shortcut try to add -window at the end of the path

Code: Select all

"c:\ path to rvgl \rvgl.exe" -window
it will start rvgl in window mode (work with revolt too)

Posted: 31 May 2016, 20:19
dr_ellert
sebr @ 31 May 2016, 03:45 PM wrote: 1) sometime the 1st rvgl run can be a bit long and stay on a the black screen (never more than 1min)

2) did you try again revolt 1.2 ? if it's work or not ?

3) on your rvgl shortcut try to add -window at the end of the path

"c:\ path to rvgl \rvgl.exe" -window
it will start rvgl in window mode (work with revolt too)
Thank you! actually I left it open about 30 sec, never a full min. But I'll try that now. Amd the 1.2 Re-Volt works OK. And even just in case I uninstalled and installed the game again just to make sure I was installing it right.
I'll try that thing with -window and inform as soon as I can. Thanks!

Edit:

So for some reason the window mode did not work, but funny thing is: after a minute or so the game runs (somehow)! So I said to myself "let's try it on Steam-Link"! And what comes after is... most bizarre. I decided to record it and load it to YouTube so you can see. Long story short: the game streams, but really choppy and doesn't respond to my XBOX controller.
Any ideas? Oh and pardon my Hebrew there, was with someone at the same room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtkf_A ... e=youtu.be

Update: now it runs smoothly on my PC (no Steam-Link yet) somehow the problem solved itself. Interesting. I'll try it even so more times on the Steam-Link and inform on any progress.

Posted: 01 Jun 2016, 00:37
sebr
you can add

-nointro
for a faster load ...
but that can't fix your issue with Steam-Link, look like the computer is 200% bussy when trying to load rvgl ...

Posted: 01 Jun 2016, 02:33
dr_ellert
OK so I tried everything and nothing really helps it. After a few restarts the game still stuck in black screen, and I have to let it load up to 5 min and even then not necessarily would it work. And still, for some reason, when streaming it loads up on the TV- not my PC monitor.

I can tell for sure my PC is not up to 200% busy since the RAM is like on 8% and the CPU is not even sweating. There are like 4 open programs that takes min RAM (Plex, PowerISO, Steam and Catalyst Control Center). And believe me: I don't think capacity or my PC being busy is the issue; other games, heavier than this that takes much more RAM works with ease (such as Shadow of Mordor, Skyrim [Modded heavily], Mortal Kombat) so I find that hard to believe.

Before I explain what I think is the issue, this is my specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 5/31/2016, 23:57:23
             Machine name: ELLERT-PC
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160422-1850)
                 Language: Hebrew (Regional Setting: Hebrew)
      System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
             System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
                     BIOS: F18
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
                   Memory: 32768MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 32688MB RAM
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
       Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
          Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67B0)
           DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
        Device Type: Full Device
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B0&SUBSYS_0B001002&REV_00
     Display Memory: 20417 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 4073 MB
So I think since I have a 64bit windows it interferes with RVGL which is 32bit compatible. Also, my Steam-Link runs on linux (basically) so maybe it can work better on it. I have no idea how the game worked before, but it did. Maybe there's a protocol or a registry or anything that blocks it for some reason or make it work harder than it should? Something that I can just find and shut-off or something?

UPDATE:

So I managed to pull off that "-window" trick (it seems I didn't put the space in the right place) and it works smoothly in a small window. I can even enlarge it- though what I would really want is to play full-screen.
Sorry if I'm being a hard nut to crack for everybody; I just know you're the best at what you do, and with your help I get a lot of progress. I really love Re-Volt and all I wanted was just to invite some friends at co-op in my living room, that's all. Seems that it is easier said than done, eh?

Posted: 01 Jun 2016, 06:40
Abc
-sload disables loading screens and gives you even more faster loads btw :)
Make sure you use Run As Administrator! Did you?
Glad it started to work! gl hf
:FF: :[%]:

Posted: 02 Jun 2016, 00:55
sebr
on revolt 1.2 there was an

-emulatefullscreen
that put revolt as window and display it fullscreen... but i don't know if it's on rvgl ... but you can try it with revolt 1.2

Posted: 02 Jun 2016, 01:49
dr_ellert
Thanks for the help! Eh it seems that in window mode the resolution looks horrible on the TV, but I'll try and find a workaround. Oh, and I didn't think about running it as administrator- though I tried and it still stuck on the black screen. Oh well one day I'll find the solution. If you'd ask me, I start to think it's the GPU's fault. I have an AMD- not that good of a decision lol. It almost always got me issues with old games (but usually with their basic install, such as "Master of Dimensions" and "Tyrian" also "Captain Claw" though with the last one there was a patch that fixed it).
Also tried the -emulatefullscreen, and didn't swell :( oh well, if you have more ideas I'm open to suggestions :) I'll try each and one until we hit something!

Edit:
You know, I'm really bugged about this... Why the game works OK in window mode, but not in full screen? Is it logical? I just don't get it. What is there in window mode that it lacks in full screen?

Posted: 02 Jun 2016, 07:20
Abc
That commandline exists since 13.0820 and it has been incorporated with 15.0418
you can swap fullscreen and windowed with F11 too.
Can you check if you have Antialias enabled? maybe that's the issue, i am not sure...

Posted: 13 Jun 2016, 14:49
dr_ellert
OK so I just wanted to inform a few things.

First of all: PROBLEM SOLVED!

It seems that the reason in general for the black screen was in fact due to my GPU connected to two screens! YES! (first world problem now isn't it?)
My Desktop PC is connected to a TV (Panasonic Viera) in my room and a LG screen (W2286L). So after trying to understand for so long the reason for it, I unplugged my TV after cleaning my PC and forgot to plug it in. So when I started RVGL... Shwoops it works with ease and no problem! No need for small screen or any command!
Also now it works perfectly in Steam Link so even that sorted itself out!
So if anyone encounters this scenario too, this is my rig and what I did was just to unplug the TV HDMI cable from my desktop PC.

Still thank you all for the support and help, and I hope to return to the forum with happier notes!

Posted: 14 Jun 2016, 22:03
sebr
sebr @ 31 May 2016, 08:07 PM wrote: but that can't fix your issue with Steam-Link, look like the computer is 200% bussy when trying to load rvgl ...
it wasn't the CPU but the GPU if I understand ...

i'm happy you have found the solution B)