Page 1 of 1
Posted: 11 Apr 2016, 23:07
Gagster
Hi. I recently got a new gaming monitor, and by that I went from a 1080p monitor to a 1440p one.

The first thing I did after receiving the monitor was to check which of the older games I had that supported the resolution of 2560x1440.

Unfortunately, it seems like Re-Volt (even with the unofficial 1.2 patch) did not like that resolution at all. It auto-switched to 640x480 or something like that.

Are there any plans of supporting higher resolutions in the 1.2 patch, or is there a game engine limitation that stands in the way for running the game at higher resolutions?

Edit: I suppose this thread would be better suited to be in the Suggestions category; my mistake.
[Vaid]: Topic moved.

Posted: 12 Apr 2016, 00:14
Gotolei
From what I recall, DirectX 6 (which v1.2 is still using because legacy codebase) has a hard cap on how high-res it can get.

Might I suggest giving RVGL a shot?

Posted: 12 Apr 2016, 08:47
Gagster
Wow, thanks! I did not know of RVGL, and it seems the resolution limitation of Re-Volt is a thing of the past by now. Some codebases, libraries, game-engines and so on are not future proof, while a very few games from 1998 can still run on modern systems without much or any modifications.

Posted: 12 Apr 2016, 11:35
Abc
Bottom line: Do not expect old directx games be able to go such high resolution, particularly because of 1) compatibility lowers directx presented so more restrictions 2) at least for revolt dx limitation is 2048x2048, you should play windowed for such games. and play 4:3 if it looks stretched.