Page 1 of 1
Posted: 29 Mar 2016, 21:30
Phantom
How to do it effectively?
It's not like measuring top speed where we can watch the maximum numerical number in the speed meter along a test track like TheMe&Me's Fast Concrete and I don't quite trust what it says in the parameters or in game about acceleration. Also it's difficult to decrypt the bars in real values. So what would be a method to accurately measure and read in numbers the acceleration of the stock cars? If there is one.

Posted: 31 Mar 2016, 06:43
Abc
There's dev mode calculate car stats but its not accurate...

It's just a game, nobody really needs such technical information unless they're analyzing it...

Posted: 01 Apr 2016, 01:51
nevermind
The problem is that we do not seem to know how the devs measured the acceleration of cars. Of course, they did not follow the definition of 'acceleration' in physics as the acceleration of a car is not constant (it goes to zero when reaching max speed). As the speed-vs-time curve of the cars is not the same for all cars (up to a factor), there is no way to get accurate information from a single dimension value, but in order to show a simple hint of the cars behaviour they would have chosen an arbitrary one.

Sprinter XL has the longest acceleration bar in the game but Humma is faster at any moment, so it is very likely that they chose to measure the inverse of the time it took to the car to reach some factor (probably near 100%) of the car top speed and use it as their definition of acceleration. The Calculate car stats option seems to do right that, but as it does not completely match the bars, maybe it does not use the same factor, or the devs chose another surface to test, or the devs definition of acceleration is not exactly that

Posted: 01 Apr 2016, 02:19
Manmountain
Just remember it's a toy/model car sim game and not a real life car sim, so is it that important ?
As long as you know how and what to adjust in the parameters to alter perceived acceleration.

Posted: 02 Apr 2016, 03:52
Phantom
Manmountain @ 31 Mar 2016, 05:49 PM wrote: Just remember it's a toy/model car sim game and not a real life car sim, so is it that important ?
As long as you know how and what to adjust in the parameters to alter perceived acceleration.
Thanks for the answers but it's not for car making, it's for evaluating car performance. And yes it's definitely important. It's odd that after 16 years we still don't have a way to measure this exact info for stocks and compare them.

This is what I could get comparing the 8 rookies measuring acceleration, but this is a subjective comparison based on observation. I'd like a way to know the values and actually know how different one is from the other.

Sprinter XL
Dr. Grudge
Harvester
Col. Moss
RC Bandit
Volken Turbo
Dust Mite
Phat Slug

About top speed the thing is clearear, more objective info.

Col. Moss 32,7mph
RC Bandit 32,1mph
Dr. Grudge 31,9mph
Phat Slug 31,5mph
Sprinter XL 31,4mph
Dust Mite 31,2mph
Volken Turbo 30,7mph
Harvester 29,7mph

Posted: 02 Apr 2016, 21:21
Manmountain
OK, sorry, it is important to you.
But I am still unsure exactly what it is you are try to acheive/answer ?
Are you wanting a specific formula/equation using parameter values that would give you say a 0-30 timing ? or are you wanting some kind of visual representation on screen ?

Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 00:46
Phantom
Manmountain @ 2 Apr 2016, 12:51 PM wrote: I am still unsure exactly what it is you are try to acheive/answer ?
Just a comparison between the performances of each stock car, in order to know which one accelerates the best and which one would be 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc in each skill. I would like to create a table to visualize and compare this info, etc.
I already did it but it's subjective. I don't have a way to do this accurately with the 28 cars when comparing their acceleration.

Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 02:20
Gotolei
I'm not sure how capable cheat engine et al are, but if it's possible to find where in the engine's memory the car velocity is stored (or where the number is read from before displaying to hud), maybe we could monitor that and graph it afterwards?

"Calculate car stats" would, in this case, serve as an exactly-reproducible trial.

Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 03:20
Abc
Hmm, a special version or mode (a debug tool based on his goals) could be made:
all stock cars in a perfect line on a flat surface track, no hud, no ai, there could be floating overlays on each car that tells the desired value about it (speed, acceleration, etc) and a overall/average statistics on the top of the screen, a fast freecam is enforced.

DISCLAIMER: This is just a doable concept idea that is not materialized!

Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 13:40
nevermind
Having the data of the speed of a car at every time would be great and would give you a lot of information about the car, but you still need a way to define the acceleration of the car from that data. And, no matter how you define the acceleration, if it is a single number, you will still lose a lot of information.

Posted: 10 Apr 2016, 11:23
gel_lr34
With my dabbling into the Accel setting, The best way I've seen is this: (I think I pulled it from the stock cars)

Acceleration: In real life, a car with a 2.5 second 0-60 mph is faster than one with a 5.0 second 0-60. (or 0-100 kph if you will)

The thing is, I don't believe RV is based on any kind of flat rate, but rather perhaps a percentage of speed.

The best way is figure it is this:

Go to themeandme's speed test track
Find out the absolutely top speed of your car and remember it.
stop your car, restart the race (With only you on the track)
Watch the race timer (as it's your most accurate if you hold down the gas)
When your car reaches the speed of 1 mph BEFORE your absolute top, the time stated in the lap timer should be your number.

You may have to do this several times to narrow the number down to a solid number.

Thus, if it says 9.234, then you should input that number.... Basically, using a stopwatch

Posted: 11 Apr 2016, 07:27
Cat
Late to the party, but I once did a post on the issue:
I just noticed that the in-game car stats calculator doesn't considers a zero to certain mph time but the time it takes the car to reach its top speed.

My suggestion is altering the stats calculator to get the acceleration values as soon as the car reaches 25mph (Harvester and the Clockworks don't get past 29mph).

Posted: 14 Apr 2016, 21:54
Huki
nevermind @ 1 Apr 2016, 01:51 AM wrote: The Calculate car stats option seems to do right that, but as it does not completely match the bars, maybe it does not use the same factor, or the devs chose another surface to test, or the devs definition of acceleration is not exactly that
I'm pretty sure the devs used the same Calc Car Stats option that is now available in v1.2 / RVGL. If the recalculated stat doesn't match the bars for some cars, it just means that the devs changed the car parameters some more after they calc'd the car stats.

The acc that gets calculated is the time taken for the car to reach its achievable top speed (not to be confused with the theoretical top speed set in the parameters). So the Calc Car Stats mode computes your car's actual top speed (in re-volt units) and the time taken to reach that top speed (the acceleration).