Page 1 of 1
Posted: 01 Mar 2016, 04:20
ProfessorKaos64
Hi,

I host packages and tools/utilities for SteamOS at https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools. I would very much like to create a Debian package (unofficial, of course) for this, but I am worried about rights/copyright/distribution. Though, since the code is hosted at each one of your respective websites, is there a danger in this? I am very interested in making this available as a Debian package for my users.

Posted: 01 Mar 2016, 12:38
revolting
Since it would be a massive installation, let's go for it huki! Phantom there you have your new players

Posted: 01 Mar 2016, 17:11
ProfessorKaos64
revolting @ 1 Mar 2016, 08:08 AM wrote: Since it would be a massive installation, let's go for it huki! Phantom there you have your new players
Huki? Phantom? Sorry, i'm confused haha

Posted: 01 Mar 2016, 17:35
Kenny
ProfessorKaos64 @ 29 Feb 2016, 11:50 PM wrote: Though, since the code is hosted at each one of your respective websites, is there a danger in this?
What code, or are you referring to the compiled executable?

Considering the current situation of the game I doubt that it is legal to provide the entire game.

The executable (and any modified files of the game that the patch requires) alone might be ok but that would require the users to have the content ready on-disk so I'm not sure if a package service is feasible for that.

You can try to contact the current owners of the IP (WeGo Interactive) regarding this but I doubt that you'll get any (comprehensible) answer.

Posted: 01 Mar 2016, 17:36
Alphacraft
Huki is the lead and currently only developer working on both RVGL and to a lesser extent RV 1.2, and Phantom is a long time RV veteran that's an all-around helpful guy and naturally wants to see new players take interest in the game. As for whether you'd be stepping on anyone's toes by making a SteamOS package for RVGL, well, I'm not really qualified to answer that :P

Posted: 02 Mar 2016, 04:15
MarvTheM
I totally forgot to answer your mail. I'm sorry!

Posted: 04 Mar 2016, 23:52
Huki
ProfessorKaos64 @ 1 Mar 2016, 04:20 AM wrote:Hi,

I host packages and tools/utilities for SteamOS at https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools. I would very much like to create a Debian package (unofficial, of course) for this, but I am worried about rights/copyright/distribution. Though, since the code is hosted at each one of your respective websites, is there a danger in this? I am very interested in making this available as a Debian package for my users.
Hi,

It really depends on what you're planning to include in your package. It is safe to host the RVGL patch and the included files (i.e, the files available for download on our official page), but not the full game data. The user has to provide the game data to be able to play.

For example, see the RVGL Pandora package:
https://repo.openpandora.org/?page=deta ... gl_ptitseb
You can download it to your PC and extract it using 7zip to see what is included and how it is setup.