Page 1 of 1
Posted: 21 Feb 2016, 16:28
Faust
Hello,

I'm a member of https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/, the Open Pandora and future Dragonbox Pyra open source handled. I'm wondering if it's possible to get RVGL source code to port this awesome port of Re-volt on our beloved handled? We have really skilled people to do it so I'm not really worried about how hard it is.

I also want to thanks the devs behind this huge port, they really did an awesome work.

Cheers,

Faust

Posted: 21 Feb 2016, 22:45
MarvTheM
I'd love to see that! Huki will have to take a look at this.
Good luck!

Posted: 25 Feb 2016, 17:25
Huki
Hi Faust,

That's excellent.. one of our goals in making Re-Volt cross-platform was to eventually have it ported to more platforms - possibly Linux based consoles and handhelds.

Sharing the source code is tricky because the game rights are protected, as you probably know. The current publishers have somewhat similar ambitions as we do, but we didn't really get along well. We asked them for the rights to publish the PC version and clear the status of our source code. It would have let us make the game legally available and open source our code, which could have benefited both the community and the publishers.

If we go ahead with this we have to remember it's a totally unofficial port and the source cannot be released yet to the wider public. We are currently a team of two (jigebren and myself), and of late it's just me. We're used to coordinating simply by email and it worked between us, but if the scope of the project is going to expand, some proper version control becomes necessary...

So the prerequisite to sharing our code is to have some kind of centralized git repository where we can monitor and share each of our progress and keep the different branches aligned with our PC base. In the past we considered BitBucket and GitLab, so maybe they're still good options...

Posted: 26 Feb 2016, 19:41
Faust
Hi Huki,

I'm glad to hear you. I talked to one of my forum mate, his name is ptitSeb, he is a really skilled guy, and he is interested in porting it. He is also one of the guys who is working with the dev of the Pandora and the Pyra (aka ED), to me, he is a really trust worthy guy.

Here his forum profile:

https://www.pyra-handheld.com/boards/me ... seb.60640/
Here the thread about RVGL on our forum:

https://www.pyra-handheld.com/boards/th ... ort.77000/

Please feel free to contact him ^_^

Posted: 27 Feb 2016, 14:46
revolting
It's good to hear about the pyra users, trying to do the port, I'm looking forward to beating you guys, they were asking if Re-volt handles bots in Multiplayer mode, It does but only on split screen and it is optional,

Posted: 27 Feb 2016, 18:32
Faust
Hi Huki,

Ahah, yeah you'll ever find someone that will ask more, sometimes interesting things sometimes less interesting, that's why we like open source software, we can make everything as we like.

Btw I sent you two emails but I don't have anything when I checked my mailbox, did you receive anything from me? I sent you ptitSeb's email address.

Posted: 28 Feb 2016, 00:27
Phantom
[HIDE=Offtopic]Completely offtopic but so many people ask for bots in online races due to the inmense lack of online players we have nowadays. It would be nice if someone can make that possible.[/HIDE][Vaid]: Marked as offtopic.

It seems you found some new developers Huki.

Posted: 29 Feb 2016, 07:05
nero
[HIDE=Off-Topic]
Phantom @ 27 Feb 2016, 06:57 PM wrote:Completely offtopic
Then make a new thread for it, post in the main RVGL thread or something, please - you're coming across as a bit desperate now. The least you could do is use the HIDE tag.[/HIDE]

Posted: 01 Mar 2016, 19:03
Faust
Hi Huki,

Here a video of RVGL running on the Pandora:

[youtube][/youtube]

In the name of Pandora team, and of the Pandora community, thank you very much, we really appreciate your work, your help, ptitSeb is glad to work with you. ^_^

Cheers,

Faust

Posted: 01 Mar 2016, 19:16
Kenny
Interesting, looks smoother than I expected. Is it running at the full resolution that the Pandora is capable of?
And whats the average fps rate that you're getting?
Phantom wrote:It seems you found some new developers Huki.
I doubt that his will go beyond the porting process or any platform specific issues, unless they're also fans of the game that are dedicated enough to spend their free time on it?

Posted: 02 Mar 2016, 00:35
Faust
Kenny @ 1 Mar 2016, 02:46 PM wrote: Interesting, looks smoother than I expected. Is it running at the full resolution that the Pandora is capable of?
And whats the average fps rate that you're getting?
Phantom wrote:It seems you found some new developers Huki.
I doubt that his will go beyond the porting process or any platform specific issues, unless they're also fans of the game that are dedicated enough to spend their free time on it?
As I'm not a Pandora user myself, I can only rely on the feedback we get, so on the 1ghZ Pandora it runs 20+ fps (full-speed?), and as the Pandora has a small resolution, yeah it seems to work at the native's one, thanks to Huki.

Devs on our forum work this way: we talking about things on our forum, we opening a thread when we want/ we find something interesting, and if it can be ported, we put the source code, after the dev that is interested in porting it does it. Everyone that is trying it gives feedbacks to help the dev to optimise it. ^_^

Cheers,

Faust