Page 1 of 1
Posted: 07 Feb 2016, 23:25
Phantom
What are some cool ideas to attract new players that don't know Re-Volt yet?

If we wanted to do it right this year, what could the community do to massively promote the game?

Posted: 07 Feb 2016, 23:41
Arkantosz
We should reach some YouTube game reviewers to make a video about Re-Volt. We should give instuctions about the setup of the game to make it easier. If anyone knows a youtuber who would make a video about Re-Volt notify the others.

Posted: 07 Feb 2016, 23:51
Kipy
Arkantosz @ 7 Feb 2016, 07:11 PM wrote: We should reach some YouTube game reviewers to make a video about Re-Volt. We should give instuctions about the setup of the game to make it easier. If anyone knows a youtuber who would make a video about Re-Volt notify the others.
607 and Last_Cuban doing this exactly + community members post some videos to YouTube, but it seems hard to find them or people don't really search for them.

Posted: 08 Feb 2016, 00:08
Phantom
Excellent idea Arkantosz! Something with the impact that LGR and Nerd3 had.

Cuban's and 607's videos don't work for massive promotion. They have a limited amount of viewers that mostly consists in us, internal members. Despite having tons of videos, those channels only have an impact inside the community, with people that already know the game.

If we want to get new users as we want, we need to make an impact externally, out of the community, probably in big youtube channels and gaming sites where the common user is looking for games to install.

Okay, who is experienced enough in that area and can start making a list of channels that might make a video about Re-Volt at our request? I have zero knowledge about that.

[HIDE=Offtopic]
I just checked and LGR's Re-Volt video has more than 212.000 views (wow!) and LGR's has more than 1.700.000, so this sounds like an exciting plan for self-promoting.[/HIDE]

Posted: 08 Feb 2016, 00:10
deem
We could make a mem/post about RV on sites like 9gag.com or other similar ones, poohload of people are browsing such. Nothing fancy, just a random rv picture and above something like "who remembers this awesome game?" And let's hope it will get upvoted :D Im a lazy pice of pooh but someone should make this concept alive, just throwing some ideas ;p

[Edit]:
deem @ 7 Feb 2016, 08:40 PM wrote: :D Im a lazy pice of pooh
Pooh, omg xD
[Mod]: Use edit button instead double posting...

Posted: 08 Feb 2016, 01:38
RV_Passion
We must the world show that's still worth it to play if we want to reach more people for re-volt.

I think the most important thing is to show how you can play re-volt with currently windows, mac and linux. To show how your optimized re-volt on the right way with the right patch. And an step by step tutorial how you change firewall and router ports for using rvhouse for online racing.

Also important is to show car and track making tutorials, with everything what is important to do that. Also tutorials for programs that maked for re-volt and the car parameters.

How about more online events like: last man standing, championships, battle tags, r-league, slug-league, custom track pack racings, strock track reverse and or mirror races (the only big issue would be the organisation).

Posted: 08 Feb 2016, 01:57
MarvTheM
I'm offering re-volt.me as a place for all kinds of tutorials and guides. If there is anything you wanna do, just PM me and I'll add stuff or give you an account to add things to the page.
The game needs some kind of 'official' website.

I hope I can make the page much more accessible so no questions are left open.

I also made a twitter account for the site. Nick Baynes and one other game dev guy follows it, vaid, lu9rv and some others as well.

There still is the podcast that we made. I'm still willing to make more episodes. It's had more than 1000 views so far.

Some youtube ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyS4xQ ... 3qXQwJQAyA DYKG: offer them to make a Did you know Re-Volt edition (I'm offering to cut the video)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7I1g ... Sl87o-7YEQ Druaga: a guy who makes videos about win98 stuff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWRcM ... 1VRo2J3FuQ Green Ham Gaming: 90s gaming and hardware

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLx053 ... WsBETgdKrQ ask LGR to join our podcast

Posted: 08 Feb 2016, 04:26
Kipy
As I can see, under LGR's video a lot of people want to live his/her childhood again and wish a working Re-Volt.
I commented to a person's comment, but I guess it's not enough.

Posted: 08 Feb 2016, 10:32
Gotolei
I've posted clips to r/gamephysics a few times, and almost without fail there's people who go on about how they've missed or forgotten about the game and start asking about how to get it running on modern systems.
There's definitely still interest out there.

(also Marv it might be worth linking the rvgl page on revolt.me, maybe just under v1.2)

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 02:40
SCracer
let's create a Hashtag on Twitter...#Re-voltRacing...or something, and then pick a date/time when all of us "regulars" can post messages and see if we can get the post count up high enough to start it trending....and see what affect it has.

we can post info on:

Where to get the game
what O/S are supported
where to play multiplayer
where to get custom cars and tracks
post racing pics
Track editing resources
links to youtube vids

any RV content that we can get.

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 02:51
MarvTheM
Thinking about it, the twitter thing might be a neat idea. Does anyone of us have a decent amount of subscribers? I'm just starting with this account: https://twitter.com/revolt_me but I got Nick Baynes following me, heh!

About the Youtube thing again: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYY70h ... tHuTZsb1tg

The RVF youtube channel has 66 subscribers. If we manage to create more videos more people might notice it.
I'm thinking about videos like the podcast or videos about other RC racing games. I'm kind of lacking ideas at the moment but if anyone knows something that might have an impact, that would be cool. Why not just another podcast?
About other video topics: there are some neat and obscure rc games that could be covered. Maybe some trivia, maybe some comparisons between some games.
Some people could team up to write some scripts for videos. Someone reads and records it and I could edit it and get it up on the channel.

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 07:20
MightyCucumber
We can create a selection of good/fun tracks as well as some cars and just use Fraps or a similar program to record some races - Strix did some amazing videos with his car and track collection for example, check out his channel.

Sometimes there are hilarious moments that we have during races, and we'd be both having fun and showcasing those fun times to a wider audience.

I can provide the tracks folders and the car listings (all the cars I have are balanced, fit Revolt design-wise and all offer a good challenge in terms of variety and difficulty level).

We can even use the original premise of the game - RC cars have become alive and sentient, and are trying to find every possible nook and cranny to race, have fun and all in all blast each other appart. In other words, do some sort of roleplay?... I don't know, just a random idea, ahah. :) I've been fiddling with the idea of having some sort of faux "championship" where I let the AI drive all cars and then attribute points to the winners (some sort of "series" if you will) - by the way, most of the time, the winner is actually not who you'd expect, and that adds a fun and surprise factor to it. ;P

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 08:28
Alphacraft
I'd definitely be willing to help out with the YouTube campaign. I use Plays.tv to record gameplay at 1080p60 and it works great. I don't have a huge following at 80 subs, but I haven't put out a vid since October so I need any excuse to start back up again :) Let me know how I can help and I'll get right on it.

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 14:32
MarvTheM
faux "championship" where I let the AI drive all cars and then attribute points to the winners
This is a really neat idea. We only need to make sure that always the same cars race but I guess that can be set with the *ai selectable* line in the parameters.
Now we only need to get Skarma to do commentary :D.

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 17:05
MightyCucumber
We can even edit the video when something fun happens, like when a car is hit by a rocket in a particularly harsh way, the screen turns grey and the "Wasted" caption appears, or the "Fatality" sound or something - or even the intro of Chopin's Funeral March as a funny tune, lol. Just some examples how we can have the events of the race turned into possible laughs from the viewers. :P Also, Re-volt's horn sound would be a must when someone swears while commenting, eheh.

For this, we might need to have some camera nodes fixed (or in some cases even created from scratch), at least in the best tracks, as most of them were rendered useless or aren't working properly in the newest versions.

I'll pop up a list of cars and tracks later today so you guys can play test them and we can discuss what to include in this project (I've edited all the cars in my collection to be balanced according to stock parameters, when needed). Basic requirements (at least for me) are:

1) Resembling a stock car (similar to the original Revolt cars when it comes to paintjob and overall style);
2) No high-poly cars (or maybe very VERY rarely);
3) No cars heavily based on full sized cars or even RC ones (sorry Hi-ban :'( );
4) Appealing as a repaint/original/whatever;
5) Not being OP (too much accelaration or top speed, for example);
6) If the car meets all the "quality" standards but is still OP, edit it accordingly;
7) New cars can enter the list at any time as long as they fulfill the above premises.

Variations of these "Championship series" can be made to include only high-poly cars, real RC cars (much like the buggy mod ZR made a while ago), rally cars, Nascar cars, you name it. Some sort of "organized playlists" of cars and tracks so the Youtube channel can have a wide variety of content. :)

We need to have everything with utmost quality (carboxes in all cars, milkfixes in the tracks, edited AI and camera nodes, etc...) so that the viewers notice the potencial the game's mods have to offers, when compared to the original and WeDON'TFOCKINGgo's version.

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 18:20
MarvTheM
I rather thought about a series of replays of a regular Re-Volt championship with stock cars. I'd use gazza's ai demo and then just upload the replays.
We can even edit the video when something fun happens, like when a car is hit by a rocket in a particularly harsh way, the screen turns grey and the "Wasted" caption appears, or the "Fatality" sound or something - or even the intro of Chopin's Funeral March as a funny tune, lol. Just some examples how we can have the events of the race turned into possible laughs from the viewers. tongue.gif Also, Re-volt's horn sound would be a must when someone swears while commenting, eheh.
I'd go for a cleaner and more serious approach using only Re-Volt assets.

Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 19:08
MightyCucumber
Seems good to me. :)

I assume you'll include in this stock-only list the Dreamcast cars, as well as Fiddler, Zebra, Tesla, Fulon PSX, R5 and Canned Mite, as well as the other demo cars (which technically are also stocks)?

Tracks like Rooftops and The Wrecking Yard should also be included IMO.

Still, I think it'd also be good to have some sort of showcase for mods - most people find the modding capacity and enhancemente potential of a game very appealing, and there's loads of awesome cars and tracks out there. :P

Posted: 10 Feb 2016, 09:51
Abc
Hmm, i would post gogodemos of every track with the opening and closing, gamegauge replay, ask trackmania youtubers maybe, pewdiepie, gta5 youtubers, fifa, more nerdcubed maybe?, messyourself, Perhaps normal people just don't care.

lets reach youtube themselves? facebook hashtags?

rip great community, it been too long...

Posted: 14 Feb 2016, 04:36
Kipy
Made videos of Month Tracks Race's February tracks. Can be a little advertise of this competition and of Re-Volt as well.
[HIDE]so i leave this here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6c1hPnH ... P8Qt2WDaFP[/HIDE]

Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 03:57
Hot Violet
As a newcomer to both this forum and RV Live I have quite a few observations and suggestions if anyone would like to hear them. I'll refrain from posting a huge list just now in case I annoy people. I really don't want to come across as the typicallly over-hyped noob with a million suggestions. To be honest, I'm far too long in the tooth for that!

I will say, however, that there's quite a lot of disparate information and (from the outside at least) there seems to be quite a lot of fragmentation in the community. I mean, here are a few things I went through just to get this far:

I came across 3 or 4 different forums all seemingly 'the community'. Which one(s) do I sign up for? All of them? That's quite a few forums to watch as a newcomer.

The portal pages on this site and over at RV Live look abondoned. Again, as a newcomer, it's hard to tell what sites are alive, dead or dying. Nobody wants to join a dying 'scene'.

It was really confusing getting the game and getting it up to date. Where do I buy it? Is it legal to just download it? Do the forums frown upon such talk? Seems like everyone is "revolting" against WeGo but how does a noob know how to navigate that potential minefield? Where should one safely (no viruses or malware) obtain the game? Some places recommend using WolfR4, some say update using the 1.2 patch. Then suddenly you find recommendations to RVGL. Also the GOG version is readily available and easiest to find on torrent sites but then one gets into that whole gray area again (GOG still owns their installer et cetera). Can I use that version and talk about it or will one be shunned for making a faux pas?! Is the GOG version compatible with the 'recommended' updates!?

And I haven't even really started diving into tracks and cars and the arcane language that surrrounds it all. Let alone getting online with the game!

Obviously, I don't expect everyone to jump in and say "Gadzooks he's right, let us all get together and fix this!!". These are just some of the thoughts and situations I went through. I'm still not sure if even posting this here will reach anyone. I made an introduction post the other day. It's had over 70 views and only one person has said anything... Not the most confident start to my joining this presumably small community. Again, I'm not moaning or looking at you guys to 'fix' everything. These are just my observations.

Compare this experience with something like the Doom community. It's pretty obvious that you can buy the game. After a little look around that there are 3 main forums that are active each with their own reason for being (Doomworld for general stuff, ZDoom for the biggest source port and the Zandronum for the mainstream multiplayer side. On any of the sites one very quickly gets the lay of the land with reagrds to talk of piracy and game IP. There's one official and obviously active wiki and right there on the front page of Doomworld is a link to Id Games which is THE place to go for new maps and mods.

Woah, that's a big post! I really didn't mean to type as much as that. Sorry!

TL;DR - It's a very confusing game and community to comfortably get into.

PS: Sorry in advance for any offence/boredom this post may cause. :)

Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 13:09
revolting
Thanks for your appreciations, I guess what we all like about RVGL it's that it really is a pretty customizable game, so everyone tries to contribute one way or another that's why it might look like lot of fragmentation, but I really do support you in the Idea that we should have unity of mind :D

Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 14:58
RevoltNoob
Im almost new in here too and I agree with Hot Violet. In my opinion, the forum needs to be fresher and easier for the incoming members. Re-volt is colorfull game and the teamplate of this forum is grey. Maybe add Re-volt images on the background? Change colours of teamplate? Chatbox/music on the mainpage?

Just dropping ideas :D

Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 17:18
MarvTheM
Gadzooks he's right, let's all get together and fix this!
I hope this will answer most of your questions.
[youtube][/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMR8h0pq-pE
Woah, that's a big post! I really didn't mean to type as much as that. Sorry!
Please, feel free to ask!

Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 19:49
Manmountain
@MarvTheM
Thank you for your video reply, different :mellow: . IMHO offered more question's than exact answer's, could have been a bit shorter, :P

@Hot Violet
First off, I'm an avid Doom fan and appreciate the larger community following, but that game created a cult following and spawned a multitude of FPS games.
ReVolt was a small game with a select following, as it was one of many racing sims already out at the time, not really in the same class as Doom, but a good point of reference.
Also, Doom's producer's 'ID software' created sequel's, ReVolt's producer's barely created two official updates. These are why the RV community is not as large or as active as you might think.

The reason behind several different community forum's as a story to send you to sleep. Basically, new people have new idea's and create their own interpretation of how they think the community should be. Yes, it would be far more productive and simpler to have just the one central point for everything RV, but it will never happen, so why fight it, :rolleyes: lol.

The RV community as a whole is a good collection of informative and helpful people, if you've got something to say just ask.

As to the game itself, it is no longer officially available and receives no official support. So legal ramifications should apply to it's distribution and download. But I ain't gunna tell if you don't ;)

If you want to write an essay full of question's, feel free, but if you don't ask clearly you question may be overlooked or raise more question's.

Oh, and Gadzooks ! your observation's and idea's, not the first and won't be the last. ^_^ keep em coming.

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 00:23
MarvTheM
offered more question's than exact answer's, could have been a bit shorter
I agree. I didn't really have the chance to speak English lately, on top of that unscripted. There are a lot of breaks and it could be more fluent.

A question from my side: I am about to record the first part of the Blender/Track Making tutorials.
Is there anything you did not like about this video?

Scripting the tutorial is not an option, that would take ages and it's really complicated for something that involves creativity (Recording me do stuff while I explain seems to be the best way).
I can however talk louder, record the audio differently, make the screen larger, etc.

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 17:56
Manmountain
Is English the preferred language, would people like other translations ?

Could you not record the just the visual while doing the task, then watch back and record the voice over, then record them together, this way you are more focused on the task at hand.

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 20:09
Hot Violet
Wow Marv! My first ever video response. :P

I'm sure that video will be really handy for newcomers. Thanks for putting in the time and effort. All of the hurdles I faced were addressed and answers explained. Thanks again.

I know this is probably a bit cheeky but would you consider doing a 'proper' welcome video? Something with a nice title, a bit shorter but containing the same links? I know it's easy for me to ask but harder for you to do! Just thought I'd put it out there.

@Manmountain: I realise that Doom the game was much more revolutionary in terms of what it brought to its genre. It really was a paradigm shift in gaming. It's more the cohesive 'feel' of the community's online presence that's impressive for a noob.

After spending most of yesterday reading up on all the shenanigans that have gone on in the RV community (WeGo, RRR et cetera) it's understandable that it's a bit more fragmented. As an 'outsider' it does feel as though things are finding their feet again though. Marv is certainly putting in a lot of effort!!

It feels nice to come in to something that feels like it's getting a second wind. Perhaps I'm wrong as it's all new to me - a new horizon, if you will. Here's hoping anyway. :)

Like I said in my previous post, I didn't expect everyone's ears to prick up and listen to what you've probably heard a million times before. Thanks for taking the time to indulge an incomer guys!

EDIT: RE: Marv's tute video. I think Manmountains suggestion of recording then overdubbing a narration might be a good idea. You wouldn't have to script it but you'd certainly have a clearer idea of what you want to say and how to say it. Some underlying music like you time lapse video wouldn't go amiss either. I think quiet music in the background of a video helps keep the 'energy' up (if that makes sense). :)

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 20:33
MarvTheM
I know this is probably a bit cheeky but would you consider doing a 'proper' welcome video?
I thought about it, yup. We should talk with others and see if they have ideas. Shall we make a new thread to plan a video, maybe? RVL might be a good place for that.
There are also more subscribers to the channel, might be a good time to start putting out some more videos anyway.

About the tutorial: Thanks for the ideas. A voice over might not be a bad idea. I could then fast forward parts that aren't really that interesting. I'll try some things out!

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 21:42
Manmountain
Video's for tutorial's sound's a good idea, keep em short and to the point and break down full processes (from start to finish) into smaller segment's that can be referred back to more easily.

A video Welcome message sound's more like a web site thing rather than something for a forum.
Maybe an specific individual Topic with all relevant (and not so relevant) link's and info for the new and uninformed, and maybe a small video. <_<

Posted: 19 Feb 2016, 00:07
MarvTheM
That's true. I have that little FAQ site. We could gather ideas and put things there:
http://re-volt.me/rvm/guides

Posted: 19 Feb 2016, 02:49
Hot Violet
Manmountain @ 18 Feb 2016, 05:12 PM wrote: ...A video Welcome message sound's more like a web site thing rather than something for a forum.
Maybe an specific individual Topic with all relevant (and not so relevant) link's and info for the new and uninformed, and maybe a small video. <_<...
Yeah, I didn't mean a full-on Welcome To The Scene video. Marv is putting his video on his YT channel. A small welcome video that's up to date wouldn't hurt that.

Though, what I really meant with a 'welcome' video was, like you suggest for a forum topic but in video form. IE/ Something short and easy with relevant links. :)

Links that would've been good to find right away would be things like Marv's RVF (which I presume he's affiliating with his YT channel), this forum, RV Live (as they're both equally active), The Re-Volt Zone (it's very well put together and easy to navigate) and the wiki (though, personally, I'm not a fan of Wikias policies). That's plenty for a rookie (like me!) to dip into. Other sites and links are found later through clicking through stuff on these 'main' sites if one is bitten by the bug. Too much info scares people off!

A 2 minute video with some replay races with a voice over saying how lovely and friendly the forums are with mention of RVF, RVZ and the wiki with links in the description. As an aside, I noticed loads of videos showing cats a tracks but few of them actually had links in the description. That, to me, seems like an easily remedied oversight. Anything that lessens the barrier of entry into a game can only help. :)

Again, sorry if I come across as an over-opinionated RV convert. :)
MarvTheM @ 18 Feb 2016, 07:37 PM wrote: That's true. I have that little FAQ site. We could gather ideas and put things there:
http://re-volt.me/rvm/guides
Yeah, perhaps another thread to gather ideas isn't such a bad idea. I'll leave that up to you since your way more established and less likely to be shouted at. :P

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I just wasn't sure how else to quote multiple posts. :)
[Vaid]: No problem, fixed it for you.
In a text editor, highlight wanted text and click QUOTE button, it will automatically apply tags for you. RVLive forum can't do that :P

Posted: 25 Feb 2016, 21:49
Huki
I'm sure missing out on a lot of stuff.. great job so far. :yeah:

Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 18:34
rvtr
Re-Volt is a known game in Turkey, I can start work on personal Youtube and grow my business. Obviously, Re-Volt is a game in which it does not deserve to fall. I hope I grow it up without a problem.