Page 1 of 1
Posted: 10 Dec 2015, 15:30
Touriga
Rooftops is a great track to check the surrounding effects too high volume, in some places you hardly hear the car.

Also happens in Toytanic stock tracks that you can listen to the cars passing on the upper floor. In 1.2 you don't.

Thank you.

All the best,

Touriga

Posted: 10 Dec 2015, 21:28
Gotolei
It's also really apparent on Moon Dawn. Aside from the sounds being loaded differently so they play at different pitches in v1.2 and RVGL, the point at which sounds start to fade away seems to be different so in the latter you can clearly hear the drill all the way from the starting paths, while in v1.2 at the same spot it's nearly silent.

[hide][solved]
E: I've also noticed that most particle effects in Helios have a strong blue tint in RVGL, while they appear normally in v1.2. This includes shockwaves, lock-on targets, and those on pickups.
E2: ok so that's just yet another instance where fogstart and farclip were the exact same value despite what it says in the comments right next to it. yaay[/hide]

Posted: 11 Dec 2015, 15:32
}!{enR
[HIDE=Offtopic:]Gotolei, How can you play with VSYNC off?? It's like a 10 screen tearings on a single screenshot!!! :o[/HIDE]

Posted: 11 Dec 2015, 19:45
Gotolei
[hide=Continued OT]I don't, that's the reason I use rvgl instead of v1.2 - because wine doesn't vsync properly even if the option is turned on.
note how the rvgl screenshot says 60 on the counter. there's a tear or two in that one as well, but I'm blaming the screenshotter there because I never see them during gameplay

and as always, thank you abc for your valuable contribution to this thread what would we do without you
[Vaid]: Yes, the forum would be completely silent and bland without him.
Too bad, I've removed his post just now, but frequent forum visitors should figure out what we are talking about.
Ahh right, I almost forgot, I have increased abc's warn level for sh*t posting. Not just for his last post here, but for some other ones he made way back, which I had to remove not too long ago as well.
[/hide]

Posted: 19 Dec 2015, 18:02
Huki
Gotolei @ 3 Nov 2015, 05:28 AM wrote:[...] have the differences in the sound engine been addressed? Not the difference in pitch for customs, but how the point where they start fading out is further away from the source than in v1.2.
Especially noticeable on Toytanic where you can clearly hear other cars humming along on the other layers.
I've discovered a potential reason for the RVGL sound effects sounding louder than the v1.2 alpha. First, the bug can be confirmed this way:
  • Start ship1 with a rookie car in practice or edit mode (so that there is no engine sound).
  • From the start line, the bird noises (seagulls.wav) are barely audible in v1.2, but they can be clearly heard in RVGL.
Is that correct?

The problem was a change in how volume controls worked between v1.2 Alpha and RVGL. I can send you a test build that attempts to fix this problem, but before that I have an important question:
Have you actually compared the old v1.2 Beta (11.0208) with RVGL? For example, by doing the above seagull test, or by listening to cars on the other layers.

Before I prepare a test build I'll wait for your answer...

Posted: 19 Dec 2015, 22:40
Gotolei
Well, I have now. Seems 11.0208 is even quieter than v1.2.

11.0208, RVGL 15.1025a, v1.2 15.0418

Posted: 21 Dec 2015, 21:25
Huki
Ok, the original versions (1.1 and old 1.2 beta) have a reduced overall volume. The newer 1.2 alpha increases the overall volume, but sounds fade away quickly as you move away from it. This is documented in the changelog:
15.0325: this increases the overall volume
    - Fixed low sfx volume, now make use of the full volume range.
12.1225: new Miles version causes volume to fade away much quicker
    - Updated Miles Sound System to version 7.2.
RVGL uses OpenAL that handles the volume more like the old Miles version (i.e., the fading is similar to 1.2 beta). But we still make use of an increased overall volume (the change introduced in 15.0325). This means the sfx volume in RVGL sounds different from any of the previous versions.

I should also note another peculiar behavior: in your RVGL video, using the F6 camera attached to your car, you can hear the car honka even from such a far distance away. This is actually an intended behavior, see the 1.2 changelog:
15.0325:
    - The camera following the car in Replay cameras can "zoom" the
      microphone upto 5x so that the sfx in the direction of the car is
      more audible. This avoids boring lack of engine sfx when playing /
      viewing replay with this type of camera (disabled with "[Audio]
      Compatibility").
So if you want to test the volume fading away, don't use this "attached" F6 camera. Use the "free" F6 camera instead (i.e., the one you can move around freely).

Back to our problem: we can bring RVGL's sfx either like the latest 1.2 alpha (big overall volume, fades away quickly), or like the original versions (reduced overall volume, fades away slowly). I'm uploading some builds so you can check for yourself:
1) rvgl_low_vol has reduced overall volume (similar to old 1.2 beta).
2) rvgl_low_vol_quick_fade has both reduced overall volume and quicker fade (similar to old 1.2 alphas before 15.0325)
3) rvgl_quick_fade has increased overall volume and quicker fade (similar to 1.2 alpha 15.0325 and newer).

Download the 3 builds here. You can test them by driving around the track (with music turned off), or manually moving around the camera using F6 (i.e., the unattached, free camera mode).

Posted: 23 Dec 2015, 02:24
Gotolei
Ah yeah, forgot about the mic zoom.

Needed a new dep for the test builds, libsdl2-image-2.0-0:i386

And definitely noticing the differences.. Few laps around Rooftops in each, personally I'm preferring _quick_fade.
Might be best to have it similar to the current v1.2, but that's just my own opinion ofc.

Posted: 23 Dec 2015, 18:20
Huki
Gotolei @ 23 Dec 2015, 02:24 AM wrote: Few laps around Rooftops in each, personally I'm preferring _quick_fade.
Might be best to have it similar to the current v1.2, but that's just my own opinion ofc.
Ok, that's my feeling too. I will keep the "full volume, quick fade version".

As for the other problem with pitch:
It's also really apparent on Moon Dawn. Aside from the sounds being loaded differently so they play at different pitches in v1.2 and RVGL,
Previously we only supported sfx files saved in 22.05kHz. This is hard-coded in re-volt and all sfx are played at this base frequency. Moon dawn uses wav files in many different frequencies, so they are going to sound wrong in 1.2 and previous versions.
With that said, I think it's no longer the case with RVGL. We still use a hard-coded value of 22050Hz for the base frequency, but we don't directly set the frequency for the sounds being played - instead we calculate the pitch that should increase or decrease. I quickly checked Moon dawn in rvgl and the sfx were played just like how the files sound in a media player. So I'd say rvgl plays it the correct way actually.

Posted: 23 Dec 2015, 19:57
Gotolei
Huki @ 23 Dec 2015, 04:50 AM wrote: So I'd say rvgl plays it the correct way actually.
Yeah I figured as much. I ended up just going through with ffmpeg or something to change the individual files' pitches until they sounded the same as in v1.2.