Page 1 of 1
Posted: 03 Nov 2015, 16:53
urnemanden
Hey, so I can race online again, yay! That gave me some motivation to take the challenge of making a high-res version of Toyeca's skin. I fired up my vector editor and most of Toyeca's skin is now vectorized (except Frontlight and backlights which I handpainted).

I tried using the skin in-game, but RVGL seems mostly to resort to using the 256x256 bmp (not sure if this is a bug in the choosing of mipmap level :wacko: ). The skin is visible if you go closer though, so i guess that's useful or something... :P

256x256:

512x512:

It is also possible to make even higher level of resolutions, although it probably doesnt make much sense in practice. But well, it's possible. :D

Actually what I'm mostly excited about is, that it should make it quiet easy to switch colors of decals, and make custom toyeca skins (fx, flag-based skin).

Download: toyeca-skin-hq.zip. (rev 2, updated 4th Nov 2015) (2048x2048 bmp)

Extract to Re-Volt folder (backup old stock bitmaps). The zip also includes the Inkscape SVG. Feel free to point out flaws you may notice, I can try to adjust them accordingly. Right now my todo list includes fixing the "E" in Toyeca and adding some more detail to the wheel texture.

well, enjoy.. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Posted: 03 Nov 2015, 18:00
urnemanden
had fun doing some quick repaints for Denmark and Sweden respectively

Posted: 03 Nov 2015, 22:03
Huki
Looks great so far. :D Yes, the E needs working. I also found pure-black issues with the included bmo (rectangular polys around the wheel). It's easier to see when Toyeca is upside down. Don't know if you've tried 32-bit bmp yet.
There is a bug in SDL's bitmap loader that messes up 32-bit bmps with a certain header size, like those generated by Gimp. We can workaround it by editing (hacking) the bitmap header's size field, that should let SDL load it properly. I don't remember the exact details, but I'll be trying it soon.

About mipmaps, have you checked whether RVGL's automatic mipmap generation has better results? To try it, just delete the original bmp and bmq, and save your new texture as toyecatx.bmp. Then turn on the Generate Mipmaps and Anisotropy settings in-game.

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 04:58
Huki
I've modified your toyecatx.bmo to fix the pure-black, here you go. I recommend removing the original bmp and bmq and use this alone.

FYI, these are the pure-black areas in the toyeca texture (the parts surrounding the two circles):
http://i.imgur.com/7yNhwPZ.png
You'll have to update the svg in a similar way.

Posted: 05 Nov 2015, 03:04
urnemanden
Thanks huki I updated the skin now

http://bastianilso.com/wp-content/uploa ... q-skin.zip

I fixed all the letters. If there's anything else, let me know.
huki wrote:It's easier to see when Toyeca is upside down. Don't know if you've tried 32-bit bmp yet.
There is a bug in SDL's bitmap loader that messes up 32-bit bmps with a certain header size, like those generated by Gimp. We can workaround it by editing (hacking) the bitmap header's size field, that should let SDL load it properly. I don't remember the exact details, but I'll be trying it soon.
We could file a bug i guess? Or i guess we could implement png support ;)
huki wrote:About mipmaps, have you checked whether RVGL's automatic mipmap generation has better results?
Yep it did, also i had anisotropic at 1x, changed it to 16x which got rid of a whole bunch of artifacts. thanks for the tip!