Page 1 of 1
Posted: 24 Oct 2015, 19:02
Huki
I have added lobby launching support in RVGL. Here's how it works:
  • The lobby application, like RV House or Gameranger, should launch rvgl with the -lobby command line.
  • For the host, the plain command is enough. "rvgl.exe -lobby"
  • Clients should be launched with the host's ip address. "rvgl.exe -lobby 12.345.678.90"
  • If the client is on the same local network as the host, passing the public ip address will not work. In that case, either the host's internal ip address or 0 must be passed. Like this: "rvgl.exe -lobby 0"

The upcoming build will be lobby ready, so it can already be tested. Hopefully RVH and GR can be updated to support this. Who can get in touch with arto / GR devs?

Posted: 25 Oct 2015, 00:10
VaiDuX461
I guess renaming executable to revolt.exe would make it compatible with RVH and GR. I know it's not the solution, but the only way to make it work for now.

If arto wouldn't respond, it could be possible to edit RVHouse source code (shouldn't be too hard, right?). Only problem is to compile the application, for me. Though I've never tried compiling it.

Posted: 25 Oct 2015, 01:00
Huki
Yes, renaming the executable will let RVH launch it, but not in lobby mode. That's why changes to RVH (and GR) are required anyway. Instead of using DirectPlay Lobby API to launch re-volt, RVH should directly launch all players in the room with the -lobby command and the host's IP address.

The way I see it, RVH should have a setting where you can configure whether you want to launch re-volt (1207, 1.2, etc) or rvgl. It could be a global setting or per-room (set by the host of the room; similar to the "v1.2 only" / "all versions" setting we already have, a third setting "rvgl" would do).
Then, if the old re-volt version is set, RVH will launch revolt.exe as usual through DirectPlay API. If "rvgl" is chosen, it should launch rvgl.exe directly with the command lines we need.

And yeah, editing the RVH source is probably not the hard part, but compiling it is because there are too many dependencies. :wacko:

Posted: 25 Oct 2015, 13:34
Abc
GR devs: it would be better to post on their forums (press F2 in the client) (i have posted FYI, let's make it sound)

RVHouse, yes its something holy outdated, if anyone is experienced enough please change KADC with an open p2p library, it will increase stability and everything. i also hope that someone add a visual studio solution ready to use and in a way its still compatible with the mingw/linux counterpart.
And last, well, os x support (RVGL only for these, would require a separate branch, and well, linux could be made to launch 1.2/legacy in wine right from the desktop without having to run windows rvhouse) (damnqt)

Posted: 27 Oct 2015, 06:34
Huki
Huki @ 25 Oct 2015, 01:00 AM wrote: And yeah, editing the RVH source is probably not the hard part, but compiling it is because there are too many dependencies. :wacko:
I'm actually building RV House :ph43r:

http://i.imgur.com/NqCjz38.png

Edit: Nice, I successfully compiled a linux build with gcc 4.9.2. Only required minor changes (my commit log).

Posted: 27 Oct 2015, 23:12
Huki
Phantom @ 27 Oct 2015, 07:41 AM wrote:Now this is interesting.

Edit: If you manage to do it, would you be so kind to add a feature that lets you choose each game's folder manually since most of us won't use RVGL sharing the same folder than 1.2 as you are probably expecting. I personally keep all my versions in completely different folders and I decide which one to use at the moment of the race. That's what most of us love about GameRanger.
My build is not compatible with mainstream rvhouse builds (I used a different version of the boost serialization library). Also, I can only compile Linux builds.

It means I can work on features, test it locally and maybe send it to a few reliable linux users (Gotolei?) for further testing. But it's still up to Arto to compile proper Windows and Linux builds for public release.

Nice suggestions above, but it's kinda derailing this topic. ;) I'll be moving these posts to a dedicated thread in the Projects subforum (Edit: Done). My priority right now is to add RVGL launching support in (both win32 and linux) versions of RVH. Then I'll check these other features.

Posted: 27 Oct 2015, 23:48
Abc
Huki @ 27 Oct 2015, 02:42 PM wrote: My build is not compatible with mainstream rvhouse builds (I used a different version of the boost serialization library). Also, I can only compile Linux builds.

It means I can work on features, test it locally and maybe send it to a few reliable linux users (Gotolei?) for further testing. But it's still up to Arto to compile proper Windows and Linux builds for public release.

Nice suggestions above, but it's kinda derailing this topic. ;) I'll be moving these posts to a dedicated thread in the Projects subforum. My priority right now is to add RVGL launching support in (both win32 and linux) versions of RVH. Then I'll check these other features.
Thanks.
maybe theres a good libboost for windows, who knows... :S

Posted: 28 Oct 2015, 08:43
Phantom
Huki @ 27 Oct 2015, 02:42 PM wrote:My priority right now is to add RVGL launching support in (both win32 and linux) versions of RVH.
I understand, but it's important that we talk about how you are planning to implement the feature, the final concept I mean, before you make progress on something that will be misused or criticized.
So you don't end up "losing your motivation".
Huki @ 27 Oct 2015, 02:42 PM wrote:It's still up to Arto to compile proper Windows and Linux builds.
Can't arto provide you a way to compile Windows builds by yourself? We all know that he has insisted in several occasions that other people can continue RV House development.
Huki @ 27 Oct 2015, 02:42 PM wrote: I can only compile Linux builds. It means I can work on features, test it locally and maybe send it to a few reliable linux users for further testing.
But Keep in mind that there are barely few Linux users to start and none of them are online players.

Posted: 28 Oct 2015, 09:52
Gotolei
Phantom @ 27 Oct 2015, 08:13 PM wrote:
Huki @ 27 Oct 2015, 02:42 PM wrote: I can only compile Linux builds. It means I can work on features, test it locally and maybe send it to a few reliable linux users for further testing.
But Keep in mind that there are barely few Linux users to start and none of them are online players.
Take a wild guess as to why we don't bother with online in its current state.

I mean yeah admittedly I don't get much enjoyment out of online anyways (though mostly because limited to stocks, people are so stuck to toyeca that not even the dreamcast cars are mainsteam, and toyeca itself has about as much personality as a lukewarm glass of water), but that part of wine is a pita to get going from what I recall (the instructions for it specify ubuntu 8.04, which came out seven years ago, support for which ended in 2013), and then there's the router nonsense on top of that.
And even then... wine. It's silly to have a fifteen-year-old game pushing your computer to 80C+ because it doesn't know how to vsync.

Meanwhile the official version of rvhouse for linux that, while theoretically could have been set up to launch the game through wine, is limited to only chatting? Changelog stops dead at 2011. No surprise it doesn't build or even run nowadays.

Also meanwhile, windows users flock to gameranger. Not exactly a good sign, but I digress.

Huki do you not have a windows setup in general, or just not the build environment? Not sure if a vm would suit the purposes for building (as for testing, they're called alphas for a reason), but it would be nice to see rvh get some tlc. If arto wanted to keep the development locked down then I'm guessing he wouldn't have put it on github under the gpl.
Though it's entirely understandable if rvgl alone is enough to fill one person's plate.

Posted: 28 Oct 2015, 11:28
Huki
Phantom @ 28 Oct 2015, 08:43 AM wrote:Can't arto provide you a way to compile Windows builds by yourself? We all know that he has insisted in several occasions that other people can continue RV House development.
I know how to do it, but I can't.. it will take too much of my time and resources. I have to compile so many third party libs, some of them quite complex... On the other hand, Arto already has a build setup in place.
Anyway, it's not like he refused to manage RVHouse builds anymore. AFAIK he was active on the forum recently. So let's not get to ahead of ourselves.

Back to our topic, I have done the RVGL launching support. Some screenshots on linux:

I think that's already good for an initial release.

@Gotolei: I can send you a build if you want to test it. As I said before, it's not compatible with public rvhouse builds, so I guess you can only test it with me.
Are there any other linux users following this thread?

Posted: 28 Oct 2015, 13:15
Gotolei
Sounds good :) Guess I'll be lurking #revolt-chat then, since idk when a good time for that would be?

Posted: 28 Oct 2015, 21:52
Phantom
Huki @ 28 Oct 2015, 02:58 AM wrote:

Looks good. :thumbs-up:

Even better if you could add the same "Path to install" for Re-Volt.

I recommend that you provide a button to browse and select the game executable instead of having to type or paste the new path manually. You could call this button Browse like in gameranger, Change or Edit.

Also, it looks like you're running out of space there. I suggest placing all the RVGL related options into a third tab to prevent confusion and make it look tidier.

Posted: 28 Oct 2015, 22:04
Abc
Phantom @ 28 Oct 2015, 01:22 PM wrote: Even better if you could add the same "Path to install" for Re-Volt.

I recommend that you provide a button to browse and select the game executable instead of having to type or paste the new path manually. You could call this button Browse like in gameranger, Change or Edit.
I would overhaul that part:
the same thing for each version type
Re-Volt and RVGL
and of course, a more proper browsing. maybe a commandline menu based on version detected and for rvgl maybe an info for people trying to use rvhouse with an old build of rvgl (yes, some people are dumb like that (notme) )

Posted: 29 Oct 2015, 12:50
urnemanden
Huki @ 28 Oct 2015, 06:58 AM wrote: Back to our topic, I have done the RVGL launching support. Some screenshots on linux:

8<
>8

8<
>8

Are there any other linux users following this thread?
Looking really good! :D I'll gladly help testing. I can assist with the 4 computers running Linux. I am still behind NAT which might be a challenge. I might have the opportunity to test lobby support on a different connection over the weekend though. Looking much forward to a usable RV House!

Posted: 30 Oct 2015, 10:17
Huki
I have some good news: I managed to build the Windows version too. So I guess I might be able to release something for everyone after all.. B)

The bad news is that my build is making original rvhouse crash. It means if I do release it, everyone would have no choice other than to switch over to my build. Now, what if arto wants to release updates too? It gets tricky.. :unsure: (unless he is ready to upgrade to latest version of libraries that I've used).
I'll try emailing arto about it though.

Posted: 30 Oct 2015, 14:50
Kipy
Huki @ 30 Oct 2015, 05:47 AM wrote: I have some good news: I managed to build the Windows version too. So I guess I might be able to release something for everyone after all.. B)

The bad news is that my build is making original rvhouse crash. It means if I do release it, everyone would have no choice other than to switch over to my build. Now, what if arto wants to release updates too? It gets tricky.. :unsure: (unless he is ready to upgrade to latest version of libraries that I've used).
I'll try emailing arto about it though.
What's up with Zach? Newbies download RVH from RVHouse WWW, and Zach didn't add the fixing release of RVH what arto posted in ORVP. He has to replace download link with arto's or your release of RVH if it's ready.

Posted: 30 Oct 2015, 23:51
Huki
I have contacted arto and he has asked me to go ahead and release my builds. So it looks like I'm going to be managing rvhouse releases.
Not sure about updating the rvhouse website, since that requires Zach's support. For the time being, my builds can simply be hosted on the v1.2 website. Then we'll see what we can do. :)

Posted: 31 Oct 2015, 02:27
Phantom
Huki @ 30 Oct 2015, 03:21 PM wrote: I have contacted arto and he has asked me to go ahead and release my builds. So it looks like I'm going to be managing rvhouse releases.

Congratulations, I can't believe it's happening.

Posted: 01 Nov 2015, 06:43
sebr
[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 01 Nov 2015, 16:00
Abc
Kipy @ 30 Oct 2015, 07:46 PM wrote: How about replace old links to existing pages like RVR, XTG, RVZ and both forums (ORVP and RVL) in RVHouse?
We can add one of the RVR races to this 'Competetions' tab as well, but I think it's less necessary. An idea only.
It was already suggested..... <_< pic photoshop?
please post further requests about rvh here

Sebr, isnt enough to post the video at one topic? :P

Posted: 01 Nov 2015, 18:36
sebr
[HIDE=Offtopic]
Abc @ 1 Nov 2015 @ 11:30 AM wrote:Sebr, isnt enough to post the video at one topic?  :P
Not realy, everyone must see (in HD) that RVGL works better than ever on multyplayer with Windows and Linux users at the same time ![/HIDE]

Posted: 01 Nov 2015, 20:05
Huki
sebr @ 1 Nov 2015, 06:36 PM wrote:
Abc @ 1 Nov 2015 @ 11:30 AM wrote:Sebr, isnt enough to post the video at one topic?  :P
Not realy, everyone must see (in HD) that RVGL works better than ever on multyplayer with Windows and Linux users at the same time !
+1 :)