Page 1 of 1
Posted: 14 Sep 2015, 19:54
Manmountain
Hi all.
Would someone please list (including link's) to all the past, current and development releases of ReVolt in all it's guises, and what their current version's are.

I ask because I'm starting to loose track of development's and what stages they are in/at.

If you could add a little statement of why each development was produced and how benificial they have been.

I hope this will be useful for more than just me. :D

Many thank's. :applause:

Posted: 15 Sep 2015, 10:55
Abc
Some info can be taken from RRR. (retail acclaim builds only) (and maybe its lost)
more of info can be found in wiki, both demo and versions (if theres such page)
And then: WolfR4: jig's thread. Phoenix R3: RRR thread and wiki (download locked unfortunately along with his installer) and 1.2: huki's thread, and of course: 1.2 readme/changelog/documentation and last but not last: rvgl

EDIT: i might have misread.

Posted: 15 Sep 2015, 20:54
Manmountain
Thank's but I'm asking about current RV1.2 & RVGL, I'm lost as to what's what and why the new development.

Posted: 15 Sep 2015, 21:35
Abc
Reading the 1.2 thread will help. same with rvgl thread (something to begin with)
also, huki and jig know that answer fyi.

ps: pretty much everything you're looking for lies in this forum :)

Posted: 15 Sep 2015, 21:45
Manmountain
LOL, that's exactly what I do not want to do, I dont have the time and my eyesight isn't as good as it use to be.

I would like someone to provide direct link's with a quick summery, PLEASE :D

Posted: 16 Sep 2015, 00:38
Phantom
Here you go MM, it's hard to summarize and resume our tragic present situation, especially our Future situation, I don't even want to get into that...

I hope you find these links useful though, good luck.

A) - Current versions of Re-Volt:
1. Re-Volt 1.2 Beta
Reason for creation: To make Re-Volt compatible with modern OS and hardware, and provide compatibility bug fixes. Reported by the top players in ReVoltRace website as the version that offers the most pleasant feelings and best control of the car to make Time Trial or serious online competitions. It offers the exact same feeling of Re-Volt 1.1 without the many changes that followed the Re-Volt 1.2 development. However, it's an unstable build, it often crashes and it lacks support for newest custom tracks and cars.
Download Link: Available in the official website or here.
More info about the project:
Re-Volt 1.2 Official website
Re-Volt 1.2 Development thread

2. Re-Volt 1.2 Alpha
Reason for creation: It's the continuation of v1.2 Beta with new experimental features and improvements.
State of the project: Paused / Frozen
Reason for freezing: The graphic engine used in v1.2 has in theory reached its limits and it's difficult to make new changes.
Consequence of freezing: Notorious decline of many players' interest in the game.
More info about the demise: Future of v1.2

Current official build: Alpha 15.0330 (Released March 30th this year).
Download Link: Available in the official website or here.

Last unofficial test build: Alpha 15.0418 (Released April 18th this year).
Reason for creation: First implementation of Windows 8 support.
Download Link: Not available in the official website, only available at Our Revolt Pub, exactly in this thread or here.

3. RVGL:
Newest development and probably the last hope of this community.
It changes the internal components of the game (Graphics, Audio, Controller Input and Networking) with the intention to make new changes easier and faster releases, and to offer compatibility with other OS.

State of the project: Sort of active.
Current version: Alpha 15.0827
Download link: Available in the 1.2 official website, under the RVGL section.
More info: Announcing RVGL

The installation is very complicated. It doesn't come in setup.exe like the previous Updaters. It requires to be extracted over a full Re-Volt folder already patched with latest alpha. For this reason and to facilitate new testers, I'm offering the Ready-to-use package. Just extract anywhere and run rvgl.exe.

Pros: It switches the multiplayer system from P2P to Server-Client. It requires only 1 port to play online, and only the Host is required to open it. F11 toggles Fullscreen-Window mode without the need of command lines.
Cons: Still unstable and it is reported to cause screen freezings.

B) - Past developments:
I guess all v1.1 / v1.0 based developments could be counted as past developments. However, since there is such thing as freedom of choice in what version to use and what not, it is known that some players prefer to use v1.10 and WolfR4. And since our whole community is so small and the 1.2 Patch not advertised enough, we can expect more occasional players around the globe using 1999 versions than we can imagine.

WolfR4 - Launcher / Patcher for Re-Volt 1.10 (build 1999.1207)
State of the project: Finished.
Download Link. Available at Jigebren's website or here.

Official Acclaim patches:
There's a nice thread about it in Revolt Live with download links already.
Re-Volt Official Patches, all about them
Re-Volt's Full History

Posted: 16 Sep 2015, 21:17
Manmountain
:X: ! WOW ! :X:

Fantastic, exactly what I was hoping for.
The only extra question I would ask, just for clarification, do any of the releases have OS limitation's or requirement's ?

Many thank's for your time and trouble. :yeah:

Posted: 16 Sep 2015, 22:46
VaiDuX461
Manmountain @ 16 Sep 2015, 06:47 PM wrote:Do any of the releases have OS limitation's or requirement's ?
I assume v1.2 alpha and RVGL_win32 may not work on Win9x systems. (Windows NT based OS only). But don't be so sure.
PC requirements should be the same.
OpenGL compatible card for RVGL of course.

Posted: 17 Sep 2015, 11:54
Abc
VaiDuX461 @ 16 Sep 2015, 02:16 PM wrote:
Manmountain @ 16 Sep 2015, 06:47 PM wrote:Do any of the releases have OS limitation's or requirement's ?
I assume v1.2 alpha and RVGL_win32 may not work on Win9x systems. (Windows NT based OS only). But don't be so sure.
PC requirements should be the same.
OpenGL compatible card for RVGL of course.
They might run: you can always do -nosli for 1.2 versions.
for rvgl, doubtful but you can use some extension that makes win9x run modern apps.

Posted: 17 Sep 2015, 12:58
Phantom
Manmountain @ 16 Sep 2015, 12:47 PM wrote: The only extra question I would ask, just for clarification, do any of the releases have OS limitation's or requirement's ?
I have no idea about RVGL's exact requirements. I can only suppose they are the same as v1.2 alpha but this is theory. In practice, my tests showed that RVGL's graphic performance is not as good as 1.2 alpha on low resource computers, so the new components might require different settings than classic Re-Volt.
This would be logical but undesired.

Both Re-Volt 1.2 Beta and Re-Volt 1.2 Alpha require Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, XP or 2000*.
Both 32-bit and 64-bit editions are supported. About hardware the requirements should be the same as the original Re-Volt, but this has never been tested.

Windows 10 and 8 support has in theory been achieved with the last unofficial Build 15.0418 but I can't confirm it since it's not official yet. Current Alpha 15.0330 and Beta 11.0208 run under these systems but with the disadvantage of displaying low fps on most computers.

About Windows 95/98/Me compatibility, WolfR4 and v1.1/v1.0 remain as the last fully compatible versions with these systems. All v1.2 Alpha builds were compiled in Visual Studio 2008, thus dropping Windows 9x compatibility for alphas while v1.2 Beta requires 4 command lines to run the game. According to Huki, compatibility with Windows 9x could be added back for a final v1.2 version, someday. For more info read Wint's entry and Huki's reply in this post.

* - Not tested.