Page 1 of 1
Posted: 15 Jul 2015, 00:05
VaiDuX461
I'm getting more and more uploads with incorrect track submissions. As RVZ can accept some incorrectly packed archives, I had no other choice, but to post my rules here.
I just want to let people know who are new into track making how to upload tracks. Some may not have even received a deny reason message, so they possibly had no clue why tracks haven't showed up in that site.

These are basic track archiving rules I'd like to mention:

- Track must have correctly named files (no USER_xxxxxxxx or USERXXX style files).
Use "RV EET 2" or "RV Toolbox" to rename track files. WolfR4 also works.

Most common problem with tracks made in stock Track Editor. Reason why I don't accept these is simple: they are not *archiving friendly* and it will become a mess if you have more than one. It can also possibly conflict with other lego tracks, (probably won't happen with v1.1 patched Track Editor versions). Besides, it's much easier to find your track files when they're renamed properly.
---
- Root archive directory should only contain 'gfx' and 'levels' folders (and 'times' for some tracks).
Other files, including .txt, must be placed in this directory: '[track].zip\levels\[track_filename]\'

Some uploads have readme files in the root of zip archive, I try to avoid these, because some people extract them directly, without opening archive. Doing this way with these wrongly packed zips makes a mess and possibly replace your existent files in your main Re-Volt folder.
If you really want to have people's attention, use zip archive comment feature, I suggest WinRAR for this.

Other thing I suggest is to remove thumbs.db files (if there are any). These are Windows specific which only take space in your track archive. You can see and detele these files inside archive with usual archiving programs, like 7-zip and WinRAR.

That's about it. I may add more later if something very important will come up.

-Vaid (RVZ track moderator)

Posted: 15 Jul 2015, 14:13
Manmountain
:thumbs-up: Totally agree.

As you state, most archive tools allow for file deletion or editing from within the archive. The problem with some files is that they are system files and basic windows file view will not show them, that is why files such as .db temp files get archived.

Can I suggest a link to a standard Readme.txt template.

Posted: 15 Jul 2015, 16:17
VaiDuX461
Manmountain @ 15 Jul 2015, 11:43 AM wrote:As you state, most archive tools allow for file deletion or editing from within the archive. The problem with some files is that they are system files and basic windows file view will not show them, that is why files such as .db temp files get archived.

Can I suggest a link to a standard Readme.txt template.
Yes, Thumbs.db is a system Windows file and cannot be seen with Windows Explorer/File Explorer, unless you have "hide protected operating system files" disabled. That's why I suggested to remove them with archiver program.

Sure, you can link a readme base.

Posted: 15 Jul 2015, 21:59
Manmountain
Here is a link to a CAR readme template, which can be easily edited for track use.

Readme.txt Template

If someone has a more precise one, then please link it here.