Page 1 of 1
Posted: 24 Jun 2015, 07:16
MightyCucumber
I've been messing with the STARTPOS and now I get the "Car started over finish line." error.

But the thing is, I want the start God damned grid as it is now, but apparently the game thinks otherwise - not even moving the node in question I get it working (number 0 I guess it's the culprit), since whenever I press Ctrl+F4 the number of that node reverts to its original position (aka, goes behind the car again).

I want the node number zero to be in front of the car:

I bet I need to change something in the POS Nodes, as well. Maybe the track zones too?...

So, what do I need to do to accomplish this? :wacko:

PS: Also tried to select node number 165762 as the start node by pressing the numpad 0 (Ins), but it didn't have any effect (insert big question mark here).

Posted: 24 Jun 2015, 20:02
Kenny
MightyCucumber @ 24 Jun 2015, 02:46 AM wrote: PS: Also tried to select node number 165762 as the start node by pressing the numpad 0 (Ins), but it didn't have any effect (insert big question mark here).
The start node flag in the AI nodes has no effect whatsoever in the game (perhaps its just a leftover from development or there were plans to use it later on).

I can't remember right now if AI nodes use POS nodes as a reference to determine which node pair is first but I think they do (closest pair to the starting pos node).
As for the starting pos node, the game determines this itself simply by checking which node is closest to the defined STARTPOS.

Without knowing your overall goal I'm guessing you'll be able to resolve this by moving the AI/POS nodes around a bit to fit the modified STARTPOS (actually probably only POS nodes, if my memory is still worth something I don't think that it matters where the '0' is placed in the AI nodes, at least regarding the warning message that you get).

Posted: 24 Jun 2015, 21:24
MightyCucumber
I think it worked now - thing is, the POS node can't actually be physically ahead of the first car in the start grid, it must be slightly before the "front of the car".

I'll do some more testing to see if the error message is actually gone for good now. Thanks for the tips man! ;)

Posted: 24 Jun 2015, 22:50
Kenny
Looking at the reply in RVL it is of course possible to also do this without having to adjust any nodes - with the requirement that the new STARTPOS is closer to the next POS node in the track than the previous one (which is the case in the RVL example).

If this requirement is not met but you still want to place the new STARTPOS at that specific position then you won't get around adjusting them a bit (or insert a new node in between specifically for the start node, this would be ideal but then you'll have to relink the existing nodes which is a bit painful).

And yeah, after doing the changes you'll need to resave the nodes (specifically the POS nodes, AI nodes should be optional).

Plus I forgot to mention that the POS node needs to be somewhere in front of the start grid to work, it is somewhat implied since it serves as the "start/finish line" (hence the message) but thankfully Dyspro50 already illustrated it nicely at RVL ;)

Posted: 25 Jun 2015, 12:01
Abc
The message tells you that your car is after the starting line/ lap start, To be fair and prevent cheating it's indeed correct and you should fix it so 1st car in grid don't trip over it when the race starts. Actually I'm not reall sure but finish line and ai node can differ?