Page 1 of 1
Posted: 21 Jun 2015, 02:07
wormhole65
Hey guys, old school re-volter here. I just discovered this forum and the PC version and 1.2 patch today after feeling a little nostalgic and googling the game.

I've gotten the game launching and playing just fine, big kudos to the 1.2 team, you guys did a really great job polishing up this old gem!

Anyways, I'm just getting the last piece of the puzzle in place: the music. Again, getting it work was super simple, just downloaded a soundtrack that was pretty easy to find, named the folder to redbook and dropped it in the main game folder. The tracks were appropriately named and everything worked. Trouble is, it's the PC music which I am unfamiliar with and don't like as much. I played this on the N64 eons ago and was hoping to have the N64 music to play with.

I found Dr Pepper's N64 music pack and it sounds great, but the tracks don't seem to be named in any convention that the game natively recognizes. To further add to the trouble, his pack has less tracks than the PC pack (14 vs. 9). The PC pack I got had the tracks named track02, track03, and so on. I was able to tell that track02 was the menu music, so I got that working, but I am a little lost after that.

I was wondering if anyone knew which tracks needed to be named what in order to get the N64 music tracks to play in the proper order in 1.2? Any help would be much appricated!

Posted: 21 Jun 2015, 03:30
MightyCucumber
First of all, welcome to the community! :)

I don't know where you got the music from, but this thread here, in case you hadn't find it already, might shed some light on the issue. :)

I myself can't help much, since I never knew the order of the songs (never played Revolt with soundtracks when I was a wee little lad, only found out it had a soundtrack until I rediscovered the game in late 2012, lol). Other members will surely help you though. :thumbs-up:

Posted: 21 Jun 2015, 05:49
Abc
you can find the names in the track INFs, you can use the pack provided which includes the proper mappings for the tracks or follow them or put up the music you want by editing them.

for redbook playback, the instructions are in the 1.2 readme, there's a pre-made zip around too.

Posted: 21 Jun 2015, 14:11
Kenny
wormhole65 @ 20 Jun 2015, 09:37 PM wrote: I found Dr Pepper's N64 music pack and it sounds great, but the tracks don't seem to be named in any convention that the game natively recognizes.
The N64 version works different in regards to a lot of things compared to the other versions (mostly due to hardware restrictions).

In case of the music there weren't any "real" soundtracks but the game rather dynamically constructed something on the fly with a preset of certain sound pieces (aka soundfonts) which switched from track to track, so there is no "definite" soundtrack for each level (with the exception of the main menu that always used the same preset).
Again, due to hardware limitations there wasn't a lot of variety in these pieces so thats why there aren't as much tracks compared to the other versions.

If you want the best N64 experience (and don't have the console/cartridge at hand) I'd recommend an emulator to play the game.

As for Dr Pepper's release, if you really want to use those exact tracks with the PC version, you just have to name them yourself in a way the 1.2 version recognizes them (can use the names of the other versions as a template) and settle with the fact that some of them will used for multiple levels.