Page 1 of 1
Posted: 15 Jun 2015, 02:34
Dyspro50
There's another suggestion that [this one] may be interresting to implement :) : a track map in the HUD

Instead of making a bitmap map for each track, it's maybe possible to automatically generated it from the AI nodes (or at the limit, from the POS nodes).

For the cars, is seems very simple : just pick the X and Z values and re-proportionate it. Cars may be identified by a simple point colored with the same as the player name above the car.

What do you think ?

Posted: 15 Jun 2015, 08:56
Gotolei
AI nodes alone wouldn't be accurate enough to paint an accurate picture, because in a lot of customs (and even stocks) they leave some parts uncharted.
POS nodes might work as a fallback, though they offer very little detail.

Just making a map texture to go with the track would be the simplest method - similar process to baking and aligning a shadow, most likely.
Perhaps it could also be done through an ncp flag?
Maybe one of the more savvy people around here would be able to figure how it was done in the arcade version.

Though probably the largest obstacle at this point in time is that the game is so old and so many tracks have been made that coverage from one track to the next would be spotty at best, barring some large community project.

And where would it go on the screen? All four corners are pretty well filled.

Posted: 16 Jun 2015, 14:56
MightyCucumber
Gotolei @ 15 Jun 2015, 04:26 AM wrote: And where would it go on the screen? All four corners are pretty well filled.
In the Arcade Version, the corner with the distances in front and behind you is replaced for a map. The "distance meter" could easily be fitted in the corner alongside with it if you really want, albeit smaller and more compressed maybe - but with a map, would the distance meter be really necessary? ;)

To be honest, I've been urging to trace some maps of the stock tracks, I've just been lazy, ahah.

Actually I'm curious about this Huki and Jig - to what extent can we use the features ripped from the Arcade Version ZR got a while ago? There are some interesting features that can be salvaged for RVGL or even 1.2. itself.