Page 1 of 1
Posted: 12 Jun 2015, 08:49
Gotolei
There's a number of existing tracks (Isola Verde and Fiddlers on the Roof to name a couple) with sparkgen objects that generate so many particles on the track's end, weapon/car effects (fireworks, shockwave trail, tire smoke etc) don't display fully or at all.

There's a few ways this could be fixed:

- Have sparkgens behave like polygons in that they obey visiboxes and don't generate if outside of fov (see nhood sprinklers/garden1 fountain)
- Prioritize the generation of weapon/car particles over track particles
- Reserve/add ~256 particle spaces for weapon/car effects
- Up the particle limit to a higher number (it appears to be 1024 currently, perhaps 2048 or 4096? computers today are generally more powerful than in 1999) (potential reverse-compatibility issues?)

Posted: 13 Jun 2015, 20:44
MightyCucumber
Needless to say I approve this. ;) It'd give track makers much more room to manouver and add depth to their tracks.

Posted: 09 Oct 2017, 10:15
Gotolei
Another point about this (also bump?), it looks like they don't even obey the view distance. This is what part of Manmountain's AI Project track looks like:

Posted: 09 Oct 2017, 20:23
Manmountain
I suppose it depends what the visual purpose of the spark gens are.
Mine are obviously just to represent a snowy/icy part of the track ie what surface conditions to expect in this location.
But some on other tracks my provide an accompaniment and total visual effect, that although the track can not be seen or accessed from a location (hence visi boxed), it may still need to have the effect shown from a distance.

But for sure any item within a visi boxed area should obey the same rules as the rest of the track and instances.