Page 1 of 1
Posted: 06 Jun 2015, 01:30
MightyCucumber
I want to edit a track to lay some shadows, but how do I open the .w file (or do I even have to open and edit the .w file for that?)?

The track in question is Isola Verde in case anyone's wondering. :)

Posted: 06 Jun 2015, 09:24
Phantom
Aren't World (.W) files supposed to be opened via Blender only? I think Blender and jig's plugin should have the feature you're looking for. Have you tried it?

Posted: 06 Jun 2015, 12:46
VaiDuX461
You can't open world files.
It is only possible to import them with Jig's blender plugin.

I don't know any other ways how to import world/ncp geometry.

Posted: 06 Jun 2015, 16:02
MightyCucumber
Gonna need to ask him that then. Do I need to fill some sort of form or do I just drop by and say "hey Jig, pass the plugin over"?

Then after I import the needed files (which are, by the way), how do I apply the shadow effect and then export back?

Really taking baby steps with making more than just repaints, thus all these questions. I wanna take a step further and finally start using some 3d modelling program to edit stuff like this as well as texture mappings - and maybe one day I'll even make a track/car of my own or something, because I have many ideas but still no skill to put them to use. :)

Posted: 06 Jun 2015, 23:47
sebr
there are two ways :

1) use Jig's Blender plug-in (vertex paint mode)

or

2) use a hexa editor to modify world file (like i do with my stock tracks patchs)

Tell me what you need to do exactly, i probably can help you

Posted: 14 Jun 2015, 01:09
Kenny
VaiDuX461 @ 6 Jun 2015, 08:16 AM wrote: You can't open world files.
It is only possible to import them with Jig's blender plugin.
I don't want to be that guy but you can open world files with pretty much every text/hex editor (its just a question of whether the data presented to the user is of any use, in this case you would be presented with the raw data which is only useful for you if you know the structure).

Also jigebren's blender plugin opens the world files as well, it just temporarily converts the raw data to something that blender can display to the user (and as a result the user can work with) and converts any modifications back to the raw data upon exporting.
Gonna need to ask him that then. Do I need to fill some sort of form or do I just drop by and say "hey Jig, pass the plugin over"?
Everything you need to know is posted here.