Page 1 of 1
Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 21:46
ReVigil
Hello. I've just rediscovered Re-volt. Using the latest rv1.2a15.0330 and the one immediately prior to it, I'm not noticing any difference twixt linear and non-linear steering, using either of two controllers - Spacetec SpaceOrb 360 and Thrustmaster Run'n'Drive. For both controllers (which work fine for other games), I can be travelling along in a straight line and just a quick tap left or right will make my car start spinning in that direction, as if I've done an immediate hard left or right turn. It's quite difficult to make the car do a smooth left or right when at speed. I've tried all sorts of in-game calibration, and I've not changed any of the settings on the controllers or in Windows, since they both work fine in other games.

I'm pretty sure it didn't used to be like this. A while back I also rediscovered Re-volt, and the steering was OK, but I can't remember what patch it was, or even if it was patched. Where can I download a 1.1 patch, to see if it works better with that? I see only 1.2 here.

Posted: 06 Apr 2015, 00:23
sebr
[url=http://revolt_f1.webs.com/gamedownloads.htm]revolt 1.1 download[/url]

Posted: 06 Apr 2015, 18:28
jigebren
ReVigil @ 5 Apr 2015, 05:16 PM wrote:Using the latest rv1.2a15.0330 and the one immediately prior to it, I'm not noticing any difference twixt linear and non-linear steering, using either of two controllers - Spacetec SpaceOrb 360 and Thrustmaster Run'n'Drive.
If it's the case then that's worth a bug report.
I can be travelling along in a straight line and just a quick tap left or right will make my car start spinning in that direction, as if I've done an immediate hard left or right turn.
I think I've noticed a similar behavior with one car lately (I think it was Dust Mite), didn't have time yet to check other cars and older builds to ensure whether this is the regular behavior or not. If anyone can confirm let us know...

I'm moving the topic to the bug report section anyway.

Posted: 09 Apr 2015, 02:04
jigebren
ReVigil @ 5 Apr 2015, 05:16 PM wrote:Using the latest rv1.2a15.0330 and the one immediately prior to it, I'm not noticing any difference twixt linear and non-linear steering, using either of two controllers - Spacetec SpaceOrb 360 and Thrustmaster Run'n'Drive. For both controllers (which work fine for other games), I can be travelling along in a straight line and just a quick tap left or right will make my car start spinning in that direction
Just tested with rv1.2a15.0330 and a SideWinder Precision Pro on Windows XP (yeah, still...). As far as I'm concerned the difference between linear and non-linear was obvious.

The behavior you're describing looks like the linear mode (which is almost uncontrollable for me as well). It means that for whatever reason the non-linear effect would be null in your case...

If you're still around, let us know:
- which OS you're using (just curious).
- what are your current settings for Steering Deadzone and Steering Range? (default are respectively 10% and 90%).
- can you confirm again that enabling non-linear steering doesn't make it better.

Posted: 18 Apr 2015, 12:57
Abc
Probably his controllers are XInput. Who knows.
should re-volt support xinput?

my two cents

Posted: 03 May 2015, 21:59
ReVigil
I've just tried the demo version from the link that sebr provided, and the 1207 patch (the patch gives a "Can't flip memory buffers" or something OOM error). In all versions, I see the same symptoms. However, using the latest v1.2 version from here, I can tell the difference between linear and non-linear. I think it is easier to control using non-linear mode (menu 'on' - why can't that menu not be a double negative? "non-linear: on/off" would be better understood if it was "linear: on/off", IMHO).

Since I've played around with it a bit more, perhaps I can explain the symptoms better than before. In any mode, with the controller 'wheel' in centre, the car's wheels are straight, but, when the car is in motion, it's as if I only have to move the controller wheel like 10-20% of its full range left or right to make the car's wheels go full left or right, as if it's not taking advantage of the full range of the controller wheel. Actually, that's not true. With the car at a standstill, I can see that the car wheels are indeed turning appropriately with the full range of the controller wheel. It just feels like I'm doing a hard left/right when the car is in motion and I turn the controller wheel that little bit.

Maybe it's just me and I'm misremembering with rose-tinted glasses how easy it used to be able to play.

I only ever use the bandit car, Windows 7. Deadzone 0, steering range 100%. I've experimented changing the steering range and it didn't help. I can confirm that enabling non-linear steering does in fact make it better, but still...

I'm using the official Thrustmaster drivers, and a custom driver for the SpaceOrb.