Page 1 of 1
Posted: 26 Mar 2015, 16:59
Huki
Re-Volt v1.2 has been updated.
This is a major update that brings new features such as car / track searching and filtering, improved 3d sfx, network tweaks, new compatibility options and various fixes. Be sure to check the changelog for a detailed list of features.

We're now providing the changelog and doc in 2 separate files which can always be found at these links, updated to reflect the latest release:
http://rv12.revoltzone.net/downloads/rv ... ngelog.txt
http://rv12.revoltzone.net/downloads/rv1.2_userdoc.txt

Also starting from now, we're opening a new topic for each release.

Download the new Alpha release 15.0325 here (changelog | doc).

~ Huki & jigebren

Posted: 26 Mar 2015, 22:42
Skarma
[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 27 Mar 2015, 03:25
Mladen007
Wonderful!
Been waiting for that camber for ages... Thx guys! :thumbs-up:

Posted: 27 Mar 2015, 23:22
jhs
fantastic work gyus:) :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Posted: 28 Mar 2015, 01:33
nero

Great job, you two. Things look a lot brighter than it did a year ago. :thumbs-up:

Posted: 28 Mar 2015, 04:46
urnemanden
Awesome! Will give the new changes a go soon ^_^

Posted: 28 Mar 2015, 06:09
jigebren
A few points / info I'd like to make clearer, even though it's obviously a bit redundant with the changelog (which I strongly advise you to carefully read), but well, in case you're jumping the bandwagon...

About the car / track search feature, don't forget that the * char is available to switch between searching "a name that starts with" (default) and "a name that contains" (with the * wildcard). The Home - and End - keys are also quite rather convenient to navigate. A double press allows to switch between user cars and stock cars.

We aimed to make the whole game more stable on recent computers that use to reach very high FPS (when VSync is turned Off - which I would rather not recommend BTW). Of course this *may* introduce a few unintended glitches in a first time, in that case let us know about it.

Another major improvements: the audio management (for the sfx part, not the music playing) has undergone a general overhaul and should also be more stable than before, even in Clockwork race where a lot a sfx are used at the same time.

Last point: we tried to improve the online code too, for example a better support of laggy players. There was some good feedback already, but some features / ideas may work nicely in some cases and fails in others. So try it and let us know how it's going on.

And remember, this is definitively an *Alpha* release. :rolleyes:

Posted: 28 Mar 2015, 13:12
Pyves
Interesting update! Going to test that in the upcoming days! ;)

Posted: 28 Mar 2015, 21:57
sebr
jigebren, on this build you fix a concave quad face bug on mirrored race

and it's work perfectly ;)

But since revolt 1.0 there is the same bug for convexe quad face in normal race (mirrored race was free of this) and off course now we get it in normal and mirrored race.
I only noticed it today, here is a video ...

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 28 Mar 2015, 22:56
jigebren
sebr @ 28 Mar 2015, 05:27 PM wrote:jigebren, on this build you fix a concave quad face bug on mirrored race
As a quad is made of two triangles, the issue with convex quad is that the triangles use a different face normal. Off the top of my head, the engine only checks for one of the two normals to know whether the whole quad has to be drawn or can be rejected, so for each convex quad there's a specific camera angle at which it will fails (it's when only one triangle is visible while the other is no longer, and only if the hidden triangle was the one used for the quad normal). This build likely didn't fix this issue actually, I presume it only makes it visible from another camera angle.

When playing in mirrored mode, previous builds changed the triangles orientation inside the quad, forcing the "bug" camera angle to change too.

That's why convex quads should *not* be used.

It should be possible to check for both normals, but it would make the slight optimisation of using quads instead of triangles pointless...
The solutions I can see are either:
a. fix the bad 3D data once for all, that is to say convert all convex quads to triangles.
b. try to fix the bad 3D at loading, will likely slow down the track loading a bit.
c. checking both normals for quad when drawing, will likely slow down the engine.

So solution a. is the only one that is guaranteed to brings no slowdown.

Posted: 28 Mar 2015, 23:48
VaiDuX461
[Bug report] (Not worth creating separate topic just for this IMO, so I posted here.)
Oils do not work. Well, you can place them, but they do not affect your car whatsoever. I managed to get it working right after it was placed, but after few seconds, oil fails to do its thing.
[Edit]: Apparently, v-sync off is causing this.

Everything else seems to be fine so far, including light flickering speed, particles, car handling on high fps.

Posted: 29 Mar 2015, 01:19
Iko
i experienced the oil problem as well :(
Everything else looked allright so far.

Posted: 29 Mar 2015, 02:06
jigebren
Ok, I think we got it. This oil glitch is actually an outcome of the high FPS without VSync. This in fact belongs to a part where some original uglinesses in the code have to be sorted out, but that won't be an easy task so we tried to avoid it so far. ;)

A quick fix should be possible though (but I can't test it myself - high FPS is not an issue I'm often exposed to with my computer...).

Posted: 29 Mar 2015, 02:11
Kipy
I am fully satisfied with this patch, thank you for your time and job, guys

Posted: 29 Mar 2015, 20:05
nevermind
Nice release! The sound has also drastically improved. Maybe music and SFX are no longer balanced when choosing the same sound level ingame for both, but that is easily sorted out.

Regarding the limit of car bars, it is an excellent idea, but the current limit is too low - AMW's speed bar goes further than it, and I am pretty sure that lots of custom cars (as well as DC cars) will easily break that limit.

Posted: 29 Mar 2015, 20:34
Huki
VaiDuX461 @ 28 Mar 2015, 11:48 PM wrote:[Bug report] (Not worth creating separate topic just for this IMO, so I posted here.)
Oils do not work. Well, you can place them, but they do not affect your car whatsoever. I managed to get it working right after it was placed, but after few seconds, oil fails to do its thing.
[Edit]: Apparently, v-sync off is causing this.

Everything else seems to be fine so far, including light flickering speed, particles, car handling on high fps.
We're releasing a quick update that adds the fix mentioned by jigebren for the oilslick bug.
Also note that we forgot to make the 0325 release multiiplayer incompatible with older builds, which means older builds can join sessions hosted by the new build even though we don't support it. Considering there are significant changes to multiplayer in this release we recommend that everyone use only the latest build and not mix together old and new ones.
The fixed release below will now properly block older builds.

Download the new Alpha release 15.0330 here (changelog | doc).

Posted: 31 Mar 2015, 17:40
jigebren
mmudshark @ 31 Mar 2015, 04:52 AM wrote:p.s.   I don't see why fps would suddenly now be an issue when it hasn't been for the last 14 years or so.
In fact it has been actually, check eg. Vaid's answer in this topic, or Abc' post just above. And the more powerful the computers become in the years to come, the more annoying these glitches will become too.

As from this build the code has been made definitively consistent in this regard, but refactoring the code then implies a bit of trial and error, the time to ensure that everything is ok (while the previous code could silently use inconsistent computations, we now have to safe guard the code against division by zero - but when it's done it'll be much more robust).

Back to the online issue topic now, once you get the result with Vsync ON we'll know whether this modification has something to do with the crash or whether we have to concentrate on the online code only (that we had to refactor as well).

Posted: 03 Apr 2015, 01:14
Cosmo_Kramer
Yes i have been writing about this few months ago if you remember jig,on new pc
and fps off,sound was creepy as hell,and when u would turn fps back on,works fine.

But in this release, sound finally works great with fps off or on,just wanna to let u know,
maybe this info somehow helps dunno :blink:

Posted: 03 Apr 2015, 01:50
jigebren
mmudshark @ 31 Mar 2015, 04:52 AM wrote:As soon as we get 5 or 6 racers for our next test we will be sure that everyone has VSync ON.  Eliminating any "possible" causes will eventually lead to a solution.
Any news about it? This info is almost essential to know in which direction we have to start searching...

@Cosmo
Not precisely sorry, I can't remember all the feedback we got (that's why it's now important to have one specific topic per issue in the bug report section), but thanks for confirming it actually improved... Feedback when it works better is as much important as feedback when it stopped working. :)

Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 01:20
Teddy PL
I do not know if this is a bug or it is just done on purpose, but I noticed that in this version of the Alpha 15.0325 in statistics as the parameters of the car before coming out on a table so now do not show anything (as in the picture below before the weight of the car came out to the left beyond the table and now shows that the car weighs nothing.)

Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 02:26
Skarma
Not a bug. That is to do with the car's parameters, this car in particular has a value of 0 for weight under the frontend section, so nothing shows up.

Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 15:16
Skarma
[Minor bug report] There seems to be something wrong with the F6 TVTIME camera in the current hotfix patch. It's pretty much impossible to fly the camera around after you complete a race.

Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 17:39
Teddy PL
Skarma @ 4 Apr 2015, 09:56 PM wrote: Not a bug. That is to do with the car's parameters, this car in particular has a value of 0 for weight under the frontend section, so nothing shows up.
I mean not only the weight of the cars I have a few parameters as before (not just the weight of the car but also the acceleration and speed) came out on a table and now I do not show anything like that this car had acceleration and speed to 0.
For example, a car Black Teapot in the image below.

Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 18:09
nevermind
Teddy PL @ 5 Apr 2015, 02:09 PM wrote:I mean not only the weight of the cars I have a few parameters as before (not just the weight of the car but also the acceleration and speed) came out on a table and now I do not show anything like that this car had acceleration and speed to 0.
Changelog wrote:    - Limit the length of the car top speed / acc / weight bars to avoid
      overflowing.
I guess that limits have been set for both excessively long bars and negative bars.

Posted: 06 Apr 2015, 06:27
Skarma
Teddy PL @ 5 Apr 2015, 12:09 PM wrote: I mean not only the weight of the cars I have a few parameters as before (not just the weight of the car but also the acceleration and speed) came out on a table and now I do not show anything like that this car had acceleration and speed to 0.
For example, a car Black Teapot in the image below.
It's entirely to do with the frontend section in the car's parameters, it has bad values. The bars register between certain ranges.

Posted: 06 Apr 2015, 17:43
jigebren
I've split the posts related to the online hangs at Sync screen introduced in this release to a dedicated bug report topic now, as it seems it won't be that easy to fix. You can find it here:

Bug Reports >> 15.0325 stops responding at online Sync screen