Page 1 of 1
Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 23:31
jigebren
Following the work I've done recently to fix several sound-related bugs in Re-Volt, I have the strong feeling Re-Volt should behave weirdly with computers that very easily reach more than 120 FPS with VSync turned off (for the sound of course, but not only).

Have you noticed sound / display / animation bugs or glitches that mostly appears when the FPS is high, and that would likely have a tendency to disappears when VSync is turned ON and / or the FPS decreases?

Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 23:43
ThugsRook
i play with vsync ON @ 60fps, and i get the sound bugs all over the place (every race) if i have weapons enabled.

so its not a fps issue.

Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 00:13
nevermind
Same as above. I experience that bug in my two PCs. I play with V-sync on in one of them. In fact I think the bug is more common in that PC.

I do experience some weird graphics artifacts in the PC where I recorded the video, but they seem to be because of my double graphics issue, as they persist when turning on V-sync. Anyway I'll list here anything solvable by turning V-sync on.

Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 02:07
jigebren
I've edited a bit my first post to make it clearer, as this is obviously not just about the sound glitches reported here... otherwise why would have I opened a new thread? <_<

This question is broader: I'd like to know if from experience anyone has already noticed such FPS-related issues in Re-Volt.

For example, I doubt the Doppler effect still works as good with high FPS. But maybe it's not that noticeable in game anyway...
There could also be issues with animations, flickering lights, etc. If there's none it's all for the better, if there is I'd be curious to hear about that.

Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 03:00
VaiDuX461
jigebren @ 7 Mar 2015, 10:37 PM wrote:There could also be issues with animations, flickering lights, etc. If there's none it's all for the better, if there is I'd be curious to hear about that.
This, especially with flickering lights. No problems with V-Sync on obviously.

Also, camera can get stuck to the ground more often, just pressing 'look back' key in most cases fix it. I have ~500fps, and I believe it gets even worse with higher numbers.

I can't say for everyone, but having better fps, car steering reacts faster (at least with Toyeca car). It makes easier to steer for me, so I always have v-sync disabled.

Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 05:25
revolting
[HIDE=Offtopic]
Also, camera can get stuck to the ground more often, just pressing 'look back' key in most cases fix it. I have ~500fps, and I believe it gets even worse with higher numbers.

I can't say for everyone, but having better fps, car steering reacts faster (at least with Toyeca car). It makes easier to steer for me, so I always have v-sync disabled.
Interesting tricks [/HIDE]

I've left it off and with a screen resolution 1280 by 1024 what I get is screen tearing and yes lots of annoying sounds, as when drifting it sounds harsher my fps is usually between 200 and 300 but is vary variable depending on the cars around me and other visuals :), the screen tearing goes away if I set the resolution to the lowest :) so I might consider this glitch a shortfall due to my computer's specs :)

Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 07:51
jigebren
@VaiDuX461
Thanks, that's the kind of info I was actually expecting... ;)
Can you describe a bit more precisely the flickering lights (just for info, no need for much details).

I have no idea yet for the camera (I noticed some time ago we can't use the direction pad for this key, I felt lazy to fix it so far, so I never use it with my 8 buttons joypad).

The steering behavior you describe is weird though, as I thought that part should not be FPS dependant.

Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 18:15
VaiDuX461
jigebren @ 8 Mar 2015, 04:21 AM wrote:Can you describe a bit more precisely the flickering lights (just for info, no need for much details).
[youtube][/youtube]
Light flicker speed, particles and sounds. Lights and particles goes too fast and with sounds we have sound distortion.
Besides these, menu navigation is quicker as well (going from pause menu to render settings for example), going through custom/hidden car carboxes at frontend and too sensitive object value/setting changing in makeitgood modes (in my video).
Video lags a bit, concentrate more on sound. For some reason Camtasia has harder time recording screen with V-Sync on.

I believe sound distortion can appear from unstable fps, you can see going from 300 to 600.

Steering is something that I can't really explain well. Key response is better, the handling itself is not quicker, just key press. I'm using keyboard. Try driving left and right in wave on straight road.

Posted: 08 Mar 2015, 23:46
jigebren
Thanks for the video Vaid, very illustrative. The light flickering looks like what I was expecting, but I can't test myself if it's already any better.

With a bit of luck the next build may improve most of those points, as the stability should have been greatly improved for high FPS. But I don't want to sound too confident, so... we'll see.

Posted: 09 Mar 2015, 22:23
Abc
Yes, definitely there's glitches with high fps (i have 600-2200 fps)

delayed player camera(curves, car lower), signals appearing too fast, more warping than usual in multiplayer, name wheel too fast, etc
but the engine is smart enough to make most animations go 60 fps regardless of fps.