Page 1 of 1
Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 02:42
Manmountain
Hi all, :hi-bye:

I was wondering whether it may be a productive project to give some older track's a bit of up to date tweaking and TLC.

I know that the production of new track's is not as prolific as it once was, and we all can think of at least one track, that if updated, could be a whole lot better and renewed as if it were a new release.
We all personally enjoy a certain specific older track that is our 'go to' track when ever we race offline.
What if we use what we know to make these and other track's beter (more enjoyable) and up to date ?

I'm not talking of redesigning or altering the basic track layout, theme or racing route, but am suggesting of tweaking AI Nodes, Track Zones, Trigger's (Directional, Cam & Split's), Object's and Viziboxing, then think of the simple addition's/changes using the new RV1.2 command's.
AI Nodes : We all know of several track's where the AI suck's, this is due to poor AI Node placement and assignment and sometime's Track Zone error's.
Track Zone's : poorly laid Zones can result in AI error's and red 'X' out of bound's error's when you clearly weren't.
Trigger's : some track's have missing or poorly position Trigger's, whether they are directional, cam, object or split times.
Object's : Object's included pickup's, and how often have you thought that there wasn't enough pickup's or that the one's available were in the wrong place's for either yourself or the AI ? Or the miss use of graphical object's that could be omitted or altered.
Viziboxing : How many track'a could be possibly enhanced by some simply well placed viziboxes ?
We could even think of slight GFX editing.
Then there's the addition of custom sky map's, sound's and object's via the RV1.2 enhancement's.

I would not suggest we change a track and upload or re-release as a new version, but rather make a small zip file of the tweaked/enhanced file's and store them on a specific web page (I could host them myself).

It would be a team/community effort, with a possibility of more than one person working on the same thing, duplicate enhancements would assessed and possibly merged before an agreed interpretation was released.

There could be a small list of suggested track's to work on first, before a new list was undertaken.
We would set ourselves and agreed cut off/ release date to keep thing's moving at a steady pace.

I would be interested on all your thought's, if you feel this may have been mentioned before then please explain why it never took off as a project and what should be put in place to ensure it would.
Would you be interested, have you got a track in mind that would suit this kind of project ?

Let me know, thank's for all positive input. :)

Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 03:15
ThugsRook
i was actually contemplating adding 3d sounds to Gabor's tracks. but thats about as far as my thought process got ;)

* Petrovolt can be updated with the new car models from Milkfix's TITH1.

a while back i did an update to Lunar by Human.
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Revolt_Live/ ... topic=3445
i removed the fog wall and replaced the visiboxes so it has a full field view of the track.

Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 03:22
Kenny
Manmountain @ 25 Feb 2015, 10:12 PM wrote: I would be interested on all your thought's, if you feel this may have been mentioned before then please explain why it never took off as a project and what should be put in place to ensure it would.
Well this project indirectly already exists in the form of users pointing out a (or multiple) problem(s) in a track in the forum and hoping for other users to solve it for them (some fixes even make it to an update of the original files on RVZ and/or XTG).
As far as I can tell the most popular thread is this one so far but of course there are also separate threads spread across the forum (and I saw a few threads on RVL).

I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to open up yet another source for custom content since we already have RVZ and XTG for that (though the former is too strict for most people and the latter is less organized and too private imo).
Another question is whether we should fix tracks that were only problematic for specific alpha versions or leave them in their original state as long as there are no major game versions affected (a good example is the recent AI node "fix" that fixed a change introduced in the alphas where the AI opponents would get stuck in the tracks).

Other than that I would be willing to help in fixing tracks that have more serious problems with AI Nodes, Pos Nodes, Track Zones, Triggers, Objects and Farce Fields (not really a fan of the other modes :P ).
By serious I mean that the track is completely unraceable (track crashes, you can't complete a lap) and/or the opponents have a hard time racing on it (getting stuck/lost, crashing a lot, etc).

Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 06:22
jigebren
The idea is not bad, and brings me to several other points:
  • I don't know how RVZ actually manage files update. It would be really nice to have the original track and the last updated one available on the same page, and the history of modification in a link (but I kind of strongly doubt Zach is going to add that anytime soon).
  • A lot of user tracks would deserve being updated in some way or another, because the original author was unlikely to be equally efficient is every domain. Even Human's tracks, which have reached the level of quality rarely seen in user tracks, has several modelling issues...
  • An issue IMO with with RVZ is that the quantity is more obvious than the quality. I know there's a grade system already, but I have always been in favor of a "Quality seal" feature to mark cars / tracks approved by a RVZ admin as "really valuable content". Track like eg. Jailhouse really have to be pushed to the forefront.
    All that just to say that for an updating project like that, I would rather concentrate on a few best tracks, instead of trying to fix all the existing creations (they may not all be worth it).
  • If this would turn to become more serious than just a project idea, a section could be created for that purpose so as to have it quite organized with one topic dedicated for each track.

Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 22:34
Manmountain
ThugsRook @ 25 Feb 2015, 10:45 PM wrote:i was actually contemplating adding 3d sounds to Gabor's tracks. but thats about as far as my thought process got ;)
* Petrovolt can be updated with the new car models from Milkfix's TITH1.
a while back i did an update to Lunar by Human.
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Revolt_Live/ ... topic=3445
i removed the fog wall and replaced the visiboxes so it has a full field view of the track.
Theme specific sound's are exactly the kind of aesthetic enhancement's I'm talking about.

Addition of new models is a grey area, as I said I would not want to change the theme or physical design of the layout of the track that may alter the original racing route. Any changes would need to be assessed.

The Farclip & Fogstart setting's along with visiboxing is to reduce unnecessary redrawing of distant object's to increase fps and promote a smoother more intense focal view. I suppose with most modern system's this isn't a real issue. But these kind of changes would be thing's other's have mention/reported as an issue, and all changes/enhancement's need to be judged and agreed upon by several other's.
Kenny @ 25 Feb 2015, 10:52 PM wrote:Well this project indirectly already exists in the form of users pointing out a (or multiple) problem(s) in a track in the forum...most popular thread is this one so far but of course there are also separate threads spread across the forum...
jigebren @ 26 Feb 2015, 01:52 AM wrote: I would rather concentrate on a few best tracks, instead of trying to fix all the existing creations (they may not all be worth it)....If this would turn to become more serious than just a project idea, a section could be created for that purpose so as to have it quite organized with one topic dedicated for each track.
My thinking exactly. Rather than occasional random request's, there would be a specific 'Suggested & Requested Track Fix' topic, then from there individual threads would emerge specific to individual track's. Any current topic's or request could be moved to the new section with acknowledgement and confirmation of any fixes/enhancement's.
Kenny wrote:I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to open up yet another source for custom content since we already have RVZ and XTG for that...
jigebren wrote:I don't know how RVZ actually manage files update. It would be really nice to have the original track and the last updated one available on the same page, and the history of modification in a link (but I kind of strongly doubt Zach is going to add that anytime soon)....An issue IMO with with RVZ is that the quantity is more obvious than the quality.
Ideally a separate 'Additional Enhancement's' zip would be available to select on the RVZ page of the original track, but this could be to much to ask or implement. So another thread could started, 'Fixed Enhanced Track's', list the track's and store the actual zip's on a basic free web site/page, or I could store them on mine for now.
Kenny wrote:Another question is whether we should fix tracks that were only problematic for specific alpha versions or leave them in their original state as long as there are no major game versions affected (a good example is the recent AI node "fix" that fixed a change introduced in the alphas where the AI opponents would get stuck in the tracks).
jigebren wrote:A lot of user tracks would deserve being updated in some way or another, because the original author was unlikely to be equally efficient...I would rather concentrate on a few best tracks, instead of trying to fix all the existing creations (they may not all be worth it)
We would not be fixing just RV1.2 issue's but more basic, obvious issue's. Making seldom mentioned good track's in to popular great track's.

Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 03:12
Manmountain
Well ? so ?
Anyone else have anything to add regarding this suggestion ? :idea-bulb:
All ideas and point's of veiw welcomed. :thumbs-up:

Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 06:18
ThugsRook
^ i will make the updated Gabor tracks... PetroVolt, Quake, & Venice. that will be my next project.

the BMWs in PetroVolt:
check them out in Milkfix's TITH1. they are the same cars with interiors already in place, perfect replacements for PetroVolt. (or any other track that has the BMWs)
(BMWs by: ElectricBee)
just copy/paste them into the petrol folder, no track editing needed.

if they made it into Milkfix ~ you know theyre good ;)

you can check out what i did to Lunar here...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i1qh2 ... /Lunar.zip
its really no different performance wise as Helios.
(farclip = 16000)

:)

Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 23:24
ThugsRook
ok, so hows this going to work? (PetroVolt is ready)

dedicated thread?
submissions and moderation?
or should i just post them somewhere?

Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 23:36
jigebren
[HIDE=Offtopic]Just for info, Manmountain is currently taking some vacations... B) [/HIDE]

Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 23:41
ThugsRook
oh ok np, i guess he didnt expect anything from this so quickly ;)

ill post it on RVL 'til he gets back.

EDIT:

sorry Manmountain, but this project has been cancelled due to 1.2a bugs.

Posted: 08 Apr 2015, 01:22
Manmountain
ThugsRook @ 7 Mar 2015, 07:11 PM wrote:
I ain't cancelled anything yet, still looking for detailed feedback... anyone ??

Posted: 08 May 2015, 10:50
Abc
Manmountain @ 7 Apr 2015, 04:52 PM wrote:
I ain't cancelled anything yet, still looking for detailed feedback... anyone ??
too bad, he quitted and he's not coming back so we are back in the dark kinda :(

Posted: 09 May 2015, 23:20
Manmountain
Abc @ 8 May 2015, 06:20 AM wrote:
Manmountain @ 7 Apr 2015, 04:52 PM wrote:
too bad, he quitted and he's not coming back so we are back in the dark kinda :(
Who quitted ? :o

I'm waiting for positive suggestion's, I assume ideas are brewing ask we speak. ^_^

Posted: 10 May 2015, 01:41
Abc
ThugsRook :thunmbs-down: farwell

Posted: 11 May 2015, 00:02
Manmountain
Abc @ 9 May 2015, 09:11 PM wrote:ThugsRook  :thunmbs-down:  farwell
nooOO!! :'o':

Posted: 11 May 2015, 11:33
Abc
Manmountain @ 10 May 2015, 03:32 PM wrote:
Abc @ 9 May 2015, 09:11 PM wrote:ThugsRook  :thunmbs-down:  farwell
nooOO!! :'o':
I feel your pain. :(

Posted: 28 May 2015, 00:18
MightyCucumber
I have edited some tracks in the past that had faulty AI nodes and track zones. I have a list of the tracks with all the bugfixes somewhere in my PC, I just gotta find them.

Among the targets of the fixes are tracks like Re-Ville, Petro-Volt, Felling Yard, Toy World-Aquatica etc... Latest I edited was Jailhouse Rock and Hull Breach a couple of weeks ago, by improving the AI a bit in some corners of Hull Breach and fixing a faulty reposition in Jail House Rock.

I also added pickups to some tracks like Hallows Eve, and created alternative pickup routes in tracks like Botanical Garden 3, Hull Breach and others.

The one thing I can't edit because there are no propper tutorials out there are the Viziboxes (I don't even know what's their purpose, lol), Triggers and Camera nodes for the TVTIME cheat.

Are you guys interested in these? (you can also hit me up at RVL, I'm more active there and might forget I posted this here, ahah ;) )

Posted: 29 May 2015, 01:17
Manmountain
Viziboxes are to encompass instances and parts of the world file that are not in actual visual range that do NOT need to be drawn and so speed up redraw time per frame. Probably not a big issue with todays high spec machines.

As for tutorials, try the RVA tutorials hosted at RV-Frontend : HERE

Posted: 29 May 2015, 04:59
MightyCucumber
Manmountain @ 28 May 2015, 08:47 PM wrote: As for tutorials, try the RVA tutorials hosted at RV-Frontend : HERE
Awesome, I didn't know these existed! I'm a bit overwhelmed by exams right now though, but I'll definitely take a look at this when exam season finishes. :)

Posted: 29 May 2015, 11:00
Abc
There was RRR tutorials, very good but i haven't found any other very comprehensive like these, sadly now RRR is "shut down"

Wasn't most of these bugfixes done by sebr already? (refer to the custom track fix thread)