Page 1 of 1
Posted: 25 Feb 2015, 23:45
jigebren
EDIT:
Now support HIDE instead of OFFTOPIC.
The support for [/OFFTOPIC] tag will be removed eventually.
I've just added full support for the "OFFTOPIC" "HIDE" tag (or BB Code).

[HIDE=Offtopic]Here is a short example.[/HIDE]
And here is another longer one, which makes the benefit more evident:
[HIDE=Offtopic]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. :ph43r: [/HIDE]
You just have to click on the Offtopic mention to hide / unhide the OffTopic section (just in case it was not obvious...).

There's a button added for it when writing / editing a post, and everything works only with script enabled for invisionfree (in case you use a script blocker like NoScript).

It has been designed not to hide the first line on purpose, so that you can have an idea of the content already without having to click on it...

EDIT: Doesn't seem to work yet when including Quotes. I'll check that later...

Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 05:22
jigebren
[HIDE=Offtopic]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.

Code: Select all

CODE works too...
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
[HIDE=Offtopic]Nested OffTopic as well...
But who cares? :rolleyes: [/HIDE]
blah blah
[/HIDE]
Ok, that was more complex than expected but it should work now, even with embedded quote(s), and in post preview, last 10 posts, etc. B)

Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 21:08
Manmountain
Brilliant work, well done. B)
Fantastic little addition to make epic offtopic drama's less intrusive of the topic theme, excellent ! :thumbs-up:

Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 21:43
Abc
Great addition.
What about custom "spoilers", RVL got them and basically you can reuse your code :)

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 01:13
Phantom
Bravo!

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 01:47
jigebren
Thanks guys.
Abc @ 26 Feb 2015, 05:13 PM wrote:What about custom "spoilers", RVL got them and basically you can reuse your code
Spoiler on a Re-Volt forum? On a movie forum I can understand but here, what can they be used for?

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 02:15
nero
jigebren @ 26 Feb 2015, 08:17 PM wrote:Spoiler on a Re-Volt forum? On a movie forum I can understand but here, what can they be used for?
These.

Good job on the offtopic tag. :thumbs-up:

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 03:31
jigebren
nero @ 26 Feb 2015, 09:45 PM wrote:These.
:applause:

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 04:10
Abc
Umm lol!

I meant this:
spoil·er
ˈspoilər/
noun
noun: spoiler; plural noun: spoilers
a person or thing that spoils something.
a description of an important plot development in a television show, movie, or book which if previously known may reduce surprise or suspense for a first-time viewer or reader.
a news story published to divert attention from and reduce the impact of a similar item published elsewhere.

Not car Spoiler.

It's similiar to offtopic tag, *shrug* Re-Volt Live already haves a spoiler tag -.-

[SPOILER] and [OFFTOPIC] (which is basically a custom spoiler [SPOILER="] )

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 06:17
Manmountain
Abc @ 26 Feb 2015, 11:40 PM wrote:I meant this:
        1.        a person or thing that spoils something...
Not car Spoiler.
It's similiar to offtopic tag, *shrug* Re-Volt Live already haves a spoiler tag -.-
Yes, we know, but as said,
jigebren @ 26 Feb 2015, 09:17 PM wrote:Spoiler on a Re-Volt forum? On a movie forum I can understand but here, what can they be used for?
In RVL it's generally used as a sneak peek at WIP.

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 20:05
}!{enR
I just noticed an OFFTOPIC button in a reply form. :) Don't know if it is finished or not, but...

First of all, it doesn't work for me as a slider. Ok, i got how it works...

Second one: maybe you could add a slider on its own? It will be great for placing a pictures, especially if they will not be loaded until someone opens a slider...
Well, I am a complete slowpoke :lol:

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 20:43
jigebren
@}!{enR
I moved your post here (I think you overlooked that topic), it makes more sense... ;)

Not really sure what you mean by "slider", here it should simply hide / unhide everything else but the first line.

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 20:45
}!{enR
Yeah, that's it. Thanx. ;)

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 20:52
jigebren
That's it... but, what? :wacko:

It works as expected?

Posted: 27 Feb 2015, 20:58
}!{enR
Yes, it works, I modified my original post. Sorry for that. :)

Actually your Offtopic tag will work fine as what all are calling "spoiler", but the word "offtopic" will be somehow inappropriate in that case...

EDIT: I remembered what I wanted to say. Please just make a Spoiler tag with a custom text, like that:

[spoiler=La, la, la, my custom text]Hidden content[/spoiler]

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 00:01
jigebren
}!{enR @ 27 Feb 2015, 04:28 PM wrote:Please just make a Spoiler tag with a custom text, like that:

[spoiler=La, la, la, my custom text]Hidden content[/spoiler]
Yeah, but... is it really useful? Please another argument than "RVLive already have it"... :rolleyes:

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 01:39
}!{enR
You implemented them already, they works, so it seems not so hard to just correct them.

As I already said (and nero alluded), it will be useful for hiding a bunch of pictures (especially if they will not be loaded until someone opens a spoiler) or (as has been illustrated by you) to put there a long stream of consciousness of yours. :)

Consider this post by sebr: it will worth to hide all of those images behind a spoiler to reduce the page height. In a case of delayed loading it will also significantly reduce a total amount of traffic when loading this page of a topic.

As I also said, the word "offtopic" will not always be appropriate. A possibility to enter a custom title allows a poster to specify exactly what is hidden behind a spoiler.

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 02:45
jigebren
Ok, better points... ;)
But it will not lower the traffic, content is only hidden, not deleted. It may prevent the page to refresh several times each time a new remote image is received though. So it could be nice.

Design questions:
1. My goal in the offtopic design was to keep the first line visible. It makes less sense for a spoiler. Anyway the user can simply start by entering a line-break. It is enough, or do we have to consider having two tags (OFFTOPIC and SPOILER)?

2. Considering that Offtopic are just a special case of Spoiler, I think I could make it that way: I keep only the OFFTOPIC tag and button, but it creates this code:

[spoiler=Offtopic]Hidden content[/spoiler]
So the default mode is to create Offtopic, but the user will be smart enough to guess that he can replace "Offtopic" with whatever he wants (like "Spoiler").

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 04:02
Manmountain
jigebren @ 27 Feb 2015, 10:15 PM wrote:2. Considering that Offtopic are just a special case of Spoiler, I think I could make it that way: I keep only the OFFTOPIC tag and button, but it creates this code:

[spoiler=Offtopic]Hidden content[/spoiler]
So the default mode is to create Offtopic, but the user will be smart enough to guess that he can replace "Offtopic" with whatever he wants (like "Spoiler").
Perfect Solution !
[HIDE=Offtopic]
1. My goal in the offtopic design was to keep the first line visible. It makes less sense for a spoiler. Anyway the user can simply start by entering a line-break. It is enough, or do we have to consider having two tags (OFFTOPIC and SPOILER)?
That should silence those anal nutjob's :P [/HIDE]

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 05:24
Abc
^^
Exactly!!!

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 07:51
jigebren
Ok, this is done...

After a (too) long struggle to try to offer a button for Offtopic and another for Spoiler (that would respectively insert "hide=Offtopic" and "hide=Spoiler") I have given up for the less user-friendly but still very straightforward solution of having one button only and let the user edit the title to is own need. Note that "Offtopic" is still written by default when using the HIDE button, so as to give a clear clue of how it can be used.

The tag is:

[HÏDE=Offtopic]Whatever you feel like
only first line is visible.[/HIDE]

[HÏDE]No title is supported to![/HIDE]
For spoiler:

[HÏDE=Spoiler]
Jump to the second line if you want everything to be invisible.[/HIDE]
(Note: I used Ï instead of I to neutralize the code - not for the metal touch... \m/ )

The result is:

[HIDE=Offtopic]Whatever you feel like
only first line is visible.[/HIDE]
[HIDE]No title is supported to![/HIDE]
[HIDE=Spoiler]
Jump to the second line if you want everything to be invisible.[/HIDE]

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 09:57
Abc
:thumbs-up: Yes! :D ;)
Great addition, expect us using it soon :ph43r: ^_^

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 10:29
}!{enR
Thanx for your work, jig! :applause: And thanx for keeping the "first line" feature. ;)
EDIT: Ah, great, "first line" works even with images!! B)
jigebren @ 28 Feb 2015, 02:15 AM wrote:But it will not lower the traffic, content is only hidden, not deleted.
Yes, by default it can't do that. I just saw such an implementations. :)
jigebren @ 28 Feb 2015, 07:21 AM wrote:After a (too) long struggle to try to offer a button for Offtopic and another for Spoiler (that would respectively insert "hide=Offtopic" and "hide=Spoiler") I have given up for the less user-friendly but still very straightforward solution of having one button only and let the user edit the title to is own need.
Don't know why you wanted to make two buttons, the one is more than enough. Having several buttons for the same thing will be more confusing, IMO.

Posted: 28 Feb 2015, 19:02
jigebren
}!{enR @ 28 Feb 2015, 05:59 AM wrote:Don't know why you wanted to make two buttons, the one is more than enough. Having several buttons for the same thing will be more confusing, IMO.
Well, feature creep maybe? :rolleyes: But it's true that one button does the job perfectly, it's rather nice that I wasn't able to make it in the end. ^_^

Posted: 01 Mar 2015, 09:43
revolting
There is a limit in the writing information that will be shown in an offtopic, it will show only one line you wrote instead of showing the entire message, I happen to find this glitch as if on a stupor :), see this post

Posted: 01 Mar 2015, 11:08
Abc
I think that the offtopic tag doesnt "really" hide, one excepts that you can hide right there, not the first line shown..... (but i guess you can by inserting a new line) -_-

Posted: 01 Mar 2015, 22:10
jigebren
@revolting: Unless I misunderstood your last request, you seem to have totally missed the point of the offtopic tag (BTW I've edited the post you're pointing to as two tags were unneeded there).
1st post wrote:You just have to click on the Offtopic mention to hide / unhide the OffTopic section (just in case it was not obvious...). [...] It has been designed not to hide the first line on purpose, so that you can have an idea of the content already without having to click on it...
I've also moved your post above from the Board Update to this specific topic.

Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 09:15
revolting
oh, ye ye thanks Jig, guess I wanted the text to look more pearly :)

Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 22:20
VaiDuX461
HIDE tag doesn't work if you use equal sign (=) with QUOTE tag inside it.
(It works when you're in post editor looking at "Last 10 Posts" below)

[HIDE=With =]
for this example wrote:You could see this without clicking an arrow
[/HIDE]

[HIDE=Without =]
Only saw this by clicking an arrow
[/HIDE]

[Edit]: Fixed

Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 22:40
jigebren
Good find, Vaid. Not sure I'll have time to fix it right now.
Ok, I saw where you need it. ;)
I fixed it, luckily it was not too hard...

Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 22:54
Kenny
Not sure if this was already in the original implementation and got removed along the way for whatever reason but I think it would be quite useful to keep the text in the HIDE tag in grey color when expanding it.

That way its a lot easier to distinguish expanded offtopic text from ontopic text in a larger post that features both things (multiple times).

Posted: 09 Mar 2015, 19:22
Huki
Kenny @ 7 Mar 2015, 10:54 PM wrote: Not sure if this was already in the original implementation and got removed along the way for whatever reason but I think it would be quite useful to keep the text in the HIDE tag in grey color when expanding it.

That way its a lot easier to distinguish expanded offtopic text from ontopic text in a larger post that features both things (multiple times).
I agree with this one.. the text could be kept grey even after expanding it (or at least a bit lighter than on-topic text) to help distinguish both.

Otherwise very useful feature.. :thumbs-up:

Posted: 09 Mar 2015, 21:37
jigebren
I agree something is needed, in fact I've already tried stuff like adding a light background color or a border, but that didn't turn out very well. And I lacked time to make any more attempts. The text is not really grey BTW, it's transparent. If I had kept this style any image would have been transparent too, and that would have been bad.

Everything can be tweaked up to the proper result of course, but I need time.

Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 03:45
jigebren
In fact, everything can not always be tweaked to the proper result... <_< For example in CSS you can't apply a transparency to a div and have one of its children still opaque. The transparency is inherited.

So I've just added a different background color.

[HIDE=Offtopic]Now it looks
like that.[/HIDE]
Very simple, but it does the job.