Page 1 of 1
Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 04:17
Abc
Did someone experienced minor glitches too? like cars disappearing, or getting painted with fog color? Clipping too (wide aspect ratio, havent tested original (4:3))

Like this:

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 04:39
Kenny
Abc @ Feb 10 2015, 11:47 PM wrote: Did someone experienced minor glitches too?
You mean in edit modes or in standard gameplay?

If its the former, yes the edit modes seem to be prone to graphical glitches, some more than others. The most extreme experience I had so far was on the custom Fiddlers track in 'Farce Field' mode, completely messing up my vision (link).
However its a minor issue since the edit modes shouldn't be used for normal gameplay anyway.

If its the latter then that shouldn't be the case, I never experienced such issues in standard gameplay (try playing without the -dev parameter if you use it, thats another thing that shouldnt be used as default).

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 04:53
Abc
Kenny @ Feb 10 2015, 08:09 PM wrote:
Since DEV marks all cars (CHT) i dont use it, it happens in standard gameplay, notably with latest alphas, 0815 and up, especially Jig builds, F,G and H (the ones after 14.0208)
the bug also happens pretty random (or exact positions but almost impossible to recreate it)
the picture is in Practice and not even the shadow is visible.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 05:08
ThugsRook
ABC ~ w/o even seeing it i know its most likely a visibox error.

extending farclip in the tracks .ini file will reveal even more visibox errors because they werent even programed for that distance.

to test for visibox glitches:
in the tracks folder, rename the .vis file, then load the track. it will have no visiboxes and you will see everything as far as your .ini farclip allows.

if you have enough cpu/gpu some tracks can run fine w/o the .vis file. stunt arena, and the toytanic tracks are pretty easy to render.

visiboxes and fog are pure crap. i hope its done away with in RV_GL.

:)

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 05:26
revolting
"Instead of the copper I will bring in gold,

And instead of the iron I will bring in silver,

Instead of the wood, copper,

And instead of the stones, iron;"

Keep improving it guys :)

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 06:13
Kenny
ThugsRook @ Feb 11 2015, 12:38 AM wrote: ABC ~ w/o even seeing it i know its most likely a visibox error.
If you would have at least read it you would know that this couldn't possibly be a visibox problem since disappearing/wrongly textured cars are not even remotely related to visiboxes.
visiboxes and fog are pure crap. i hope its done away with in RV_GL.
So performance optimization is pure crap? You are aware that back then both of these made a very important performance difference, especially for the console versions?
Not to mention that with enough polygons in a track and weak enough hardware, a proper usage of these would nowadays still have a noticable effect on game performance (beside the frame number going up).

@Abc: What hardware do you have? Have you tried turning VSync on? Besides that I don't really have any more suggestions, however its very much possible that this will resolve itself with the upcoming RV project.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 06:36
ThugsRook
yes it can be a visibox error, thats why i suggested a way to test it.

i didnt say to do away with clipping, i said do away with the current format and use something more global that doesnt require editing.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 06:46
Kenny
ThugsRook @ Feb 11 2015, 02:06 AM wrote: yes it can be a visibox error, thats why i suggested a way to test it.
Like I said, visiboxes are only related to world polygon display, not car polygons/textures.
Not to mention that more people would have noticed the exact same issue if it was a general problem with the visiboxes in the stock tracks.
But whatever, I guess trying around doesn't hurt when there are no alternative suggestions for a possible solution.
i didnt say to do away with clipping, i said do away with the current format and use something more global that doesnt require editing.
You have to keep in mind that this would require an entire system behind it that on the one hand is good enough to not clip away too much so the player doesnt notice it and on the other hand clips enough away while still being efficient enough to give a performance boost.
The latter is pretty difficult to do on its own, there's a reason the original devs decided to use the visibox system and fog.
So even though such a system would certainly be nice, its rather unlikely to happen, especially with the already exisiting visiboxes (at best I would think visiboxes on their own could be improved to be configured/set up faster/more easily).

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 06:49
jigebren
Abc @ Feb 11 2015, 12:23 AM wrote:
Kenny @ Feb 10 2015, 08:09 PM wrote:
Since DEV marks all cars (CHT) i dont use it, it happens in standard gameplay, notably with latest alphas, 0815 and up, especially Jig builds, F,G and H (the ones after 14.0208)
the bug also happens pretty random (or exact positions but almost impossible to recreate it)
the picture is in Practice and not even the shadow is visible.
In my builds there was actually a bug with disappearing objects (like the lamp pole in nhood1 or the copter in market2), I have fixed it since then. But I don't think it occurred with cars, that's weird...

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 12:15
Abc
Kenny @ Feb 10 2015, 09:43 PM wrote:
ThugsRook @ Feb 11 2015, 12:38 AM wrote: ABC ~ w/o even seeing it i know its most likely a visibox error.
If you would have at least read it you would know that this couldn't possibly be a visibox problem since disappearing/wrongly textured cars are not even remotely related to visiboxes.
==================================================
@Abc: What hardware do you have? Have you tried turning VSync on? Besides that I don't really have any more suggestions, however its very much possible that this will resolve itself with the upcoming RV project.
It happened on the "netbook" (see hardware specs post)
and not sure but it may be a regression of running DEV (the original one), but i've seen that same exact glitch in a new copy. Probably its vis related.
cant turn vsync there because lag.

Thugs: Fogs are the BEST for FPS and Clipping is even more better. Look at rooftops for example (in its early months)
You say its crap because its useless on modern pc which can run the game beyond 100 fps. my gtx 760 does ~800-1200 fps in stock tracks, old pcs which have abysmal fps do have a fair gameplay with clipping and fog, clipping is the biggest fps booster, fog is a bit cosmetic.