Page 1 of 1
Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 02:22
hi-ban
I made a logo for the upcoming RVGL, just in case you want to use it:

I can make it in different resolutions if you need.
Enjoy!

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 03:59
RV_Passion
Damn, you was faster then me and the logo looks just really good.

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 04:24
jigebren
Ah, I was unsure but it did seem to me that it wasn't hi-ban that proposed his help in a first time. ;)

Anyway, good job on this one. It's very properly designed.
May I ask which software has been used?

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 05:06
hi-ban
I used Ulead PhotoImpact X3. It's similar to Photoshop, but less popular.

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 22:46
Manmountain
Sorry, RVGL ? what's this, where's this and when's this ?

Thanks. :)

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 22:53
ThugsRook
^ ReVolt for Open_GL is currently being named RV_GL.

nice logo :)

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 22:57
Manmountain
Open-GL ? and what is this to do with ReVolt ?

Am I just thick or totally out of touch ? :P

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 23:04
ThugsRook
Manmountain @ Feb 10 2015, 06:27 PM wrote: Open-GL ? and what is this to do with ReVolt ?

Am I just thick or totally out of touch ? :P
both :P

ReVolt is being ported into Open_GL.
(getting rid of the old outdated transform and lighting Direct3D)

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 23:16
Manmountain
AH OK, sort of understand.
Just how does this change things ?
Better or worse depending on graphics memory and whether it is shared or dedicated ?
Better FPS ?

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 23:19
jigebren
Manmountain @ Feb 10 2015, 06:46 PM wrote:Better or worse depending on graphics memory and whether it is shared or dedicated ?
Most important thing here in a first time, it makes the code eventually portable to eg. Linux. Re-Volt would no longer be bound to Windows.

Posted: 10 Feb 2015, 23:37
Manmountain
jigebren @ Feb 10 2015, 06:49 PM wrote:Re-Volt would no longer be bound to Windows.
NOOoo !! :o don't let it loose ! :unsure:

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 00:05
ElectricBee
???

Please tell me you're joking. PLEASE tell me you're kidding around when you're saying that!

If, eventually, WGI revokes ownership of the Re-Volt brand, then think of the opportunity to put this on Steam! Re-Volt! On Steam! In Linux! And it friggin' works! That would be amazing!

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 02:29
nero
Manmountain @ Feb 10 2015, 06:07 PM wrote:
jigebren @ Feb 10 2015, 06:49 PM wrote:Re-Volt would no longer be bound to Windows.

-------

Regardless, the logo you've made Hi-Ban, is pretty sweet. It does however, looks a bit... cut off.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 04:27
Abc
Manmountain @ Feb 10 2015, 03:07 PM wrote:
xD then HUKI: stick to DirectX 9 :P

yes nero, since 2008! (pretty much) :ph43r:

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 05:18
ElectricBee
Why do you hate me? No, I am asking sincerely, what do you have against me?

Let's not dick around with completely derailing this thread into bickering between us, just let it all out and explain yourself.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 06:40
jigebren
@Abc
I'll let you edit your post yourself and remove the offending part. If you don't or if you're keep on bashing EB or whoever for no reason, there'll be no other warning.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 10:15
Gotolei
So um, logo. yay

Aside from a small shadow that wasn't clipped in the middle line, looks pretty solid.
Is it the same font as the original logo? The G seems a bit overly round, at least when compared to the R.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 22:03
hi-ban
i have modified the G, to be more square:

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 22:25
Kenny
Not to criticise your work or anything but the entire style of the logo is almost exactly the same as the original (with the exception of the red background color, some special effects and the name of course).
Dont get me wrong, it looks very good but I'd prefer a logo that is either loosely related to the original or has an entire different style (kind of like the small, more simplistic logo on the official page but perhaps even less similar to the original).

Also shouldn't it be called just "RV" instead of "RV-GL"?
huki wrote:...we've decided that we'd rather freeze the current v1.2 project (maybe release some "extended support" releases infrequently), and start a new project code-named RV, which is...
I don't know why but it seems people just invent some things on their own. Anyway, again this is not meant as a complaint (and not even targeted towards you) but I just wanted to mention it.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 22:42
hi-ban
Kenny @ Feb 11 2015, 05:55 PM wrote: Not to criticise your work or anything but the entire style of the logo is almost exactly the same as the original (with the exception of the red background color, some special effects and the name of course)
Of course, my objective was to reproduce the style as faithful as possible to the original. If the logo style was different, then it would look like it is not related to Re-Volt.

The RVGL name, i took it from this page: http://rv12.revoltzone.net/index.php
as you can see in the menu bar on the left, there is a section called RVGL which refers to the opengl project.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 22:55
Kenny
hi-ban @ Feb 11 2015, 06:12 PM wrote: Of course, my objective was to reproduce the style as faithful as possible to the original. If the logo style was different, then it would look like it is not related to Re-Volt.
Well my point is that
1) people might mistake it as some kind of mod for the original game when in fact its pretty much an entire rewrite of the game and a project on its own.
2) its debatable whether trying to replicate the original style as close as possible is a good thing from a legal point of view (not saying that there would be ever a threat but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a more unique style).
3) it would be nice to see something fresh :)
The RVGL name, i took it from this page
I see, I guess that makes it a valid name then, though "RV" alone would certainly be a safer bet since that one was used in the official announcement and in the logo of the official page.

I'm overall not too happy about the chosen name of the new project but thats just my two cents :P

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 23:05
Abc
hi-ban: now the logo looks more "robotic" but i like both :P
nice work because the original one is like the 2D transition with OSes.
i mean this:

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 23:33
Manmountain
Manmountain @ Feb 10 2015, 07:07 PM wrote:
ElectricBee @ Feb 10 2015, 07:35 PM wrote:???

Please tell me you're joking. PLEASE tell me you're kidding around when you're saying that!

If, eventually, WGI revokes ownership of the Re-Volt brand, then think of the opportunity to put this on Steam! Re-Volt! On Steam! In Linux! And it friggin' works! That would be amazing!
For you ElectricBee and the rest that do not understand subtle sarcastic humour.

My statement was a reference to jigebren stating "it would no longer be bound", as in tied up, restrained. <_<
I was not seeing fault in the project's goal's.

Really ! some of you need to indulge in a wider range of humorous material. :rolleyes:

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 00:23
jigebren
Kenny @ Feb 11 2015, 05:55 PM wrote:Not to criticise your work or anything but the entire style of the logo is almost exactly the same as the original (with the exception of the red background color, some special effects and the name of course).
There's no real shame in doing that. I did quite the same with the Re-volt logo in Inkscape quite some time ago, it was a good exercise in style.

About the RV-GL name, feel free to suggest anything else if you don't like it, anyway finding something better was not our priority. The project is more important than the name...

>> some of you need to indulge in a wider range of humorous material.
Humour can be easier to misread for non-native English speakers. ;)

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 02:24
Manmountain
jigebren @ Feb 11 2015, 07:53 PM wrote:Humour can be easier to misread for non-native English speakers.&nbsp; ;)
In my experience, humour is not an emotion adopted by most culture's. :roflmao: only joking guy's :D

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 04:14
Huki
Kenny @ Feb 11 2015, 10:25 PM wrote:Also shouldn't it be called just "RV" instead of "RV-GL"?
huki wrote:...we've decided that we'd rather freeze the current v1.2 project (maybe release some "extended support" releases infrequently), and start a new project code-named RV, which is...
I don't know why but it seems people just invent some things on their own. Anyway, again this is not meant as a complaint (and not even targeted towards you) but I just wanted to mention it.
You've brought up an interesting point.
- When we first announced our idea to move away from old 1.2, we didn't have any specific goal in mind (other than the fact that we'll be using the open-source components mentioned). That's why I used the codename "RV" to refer to any of the future projects we (i.e., the "RV team") will be working on.
- Now that we've fixed our goal - that we're really targeting a cross-platform version of the full original game, we needed a new name to differentiate from the old 1.2 (as the old 1.2 is still relevant as long as the new version has not reached a beta).
We initially tried to use "v1.2 GL", but during our discussions we just got used to saying RVGL, that's how the name stuck. :)

My own idea till now was to use the name RV (and the current simple logo next to the announcement) to refer to our team: it could be featured on our website above the navbar, as a first splash screen image along with a disclaimer ("Developed by the RV Team", etc). Then keep using the Re-Volt logo in the loading screen and the Frontend main menu.

With hi-ban's new logo we have 2 choices:
1) Use the RV team logo (and disclaimer) as the first splash screen, and use hi-ban's RVGL logo in the load screen, frontend main menu, demo mode, etc.
2) Use this RVGL logo everywhere, including the first splash screen.
I'm curious to know what the others think about this.

---

@hi-ban: The logo looks great for me. Some points to think about it:
- I think a version without shadows would fit better in-game against the darker background.
- Should the "GL" be less slanted, and use the same font as the OpenGL logo?

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 04:36
hi-ban
Huki @ Feb 11 2015, 11:44 PM wrote:@hi-ban: The logo looks great for me. Some points to think about it:
- I think a version without shadows would fit better in-game against the darker background.
- Should the "GL" be less slanted, and use the same font as the OpenGL logo?
The OpenGL font would not look anything near good, in my opinion.

What do you mean with "without shadows"? You mean, without the shadow in the background?

With shadow:

Without shadow:

by the way, i changed the texture of the red part, and doubled the resolution of the pics.

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 06:25
revolting
good logo :)

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 09:01
Abc
hi-ban, i prefer the one without shadows, it blends more with the background, best to use the non-shadowed one and use the shadowed one for "woows" and light backgrounds, not many but yeah...

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 13:01
Phantom
About the original-non original style matter... it should coincide with the soul of the project depending on what it's going to be the final target.

Some people expect this project to be a fixed version of v1.2 with the suggestions that still weren't added to it and nothing else (me for example).

Other people seem to be expecting this to be a whole new game.... <_<

For the moment we don't know much about this project's aim apart from "it's being ported to OpenGL and will run on Lnux". Therefore, it's not the same motivation that when 1.2 started. People knew what to expect then, there was a ToDo List with features that we all wanted while this "RV" doesn't, so we've no idea what to expect apart from "it will run on Linux"..
Huki wrote:When we first announced our idea to move away from old 1.2
I haven't said anything until now but I noticed that everytime you refer to v1.2 now you insist on calling it "the old 1.2" while it isn't old. :blink:
This is weird especially coming from its creator and because for the users it's the best thing that happened to Re-Volt and actually the newest and best way to play the game, there is no other new or better way to play Re-Volt yet.

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 20:34
jigebren
Phantom @ Feb 12 2015, 08:31 AM wrote:For the moment we don't know much about this project's aim apart from "it's being ported to OpenGL and will run on Lnux". Therefore, it's not the same motivation that when 1.2 started. People knew what to expect then, there was a ToDo List with features that we all wanted while this "RV" doesn't, so we've no idea what to expect apart from "it will run on Linux"..
I feel a bit afflicted that every point is subject to discussion as if you (I don't mean "you - Phantom" but "you - the v1.2 / RVGL users") couldn't just enjoy the news but always expect things to be done in a better way. Some don't enjoy the project name, some won't like the logo, some won't like that we haven't written a TODO list. Seriously... I think you'll have to lower a bit your expectations.

[quote=""v1.2 website Announcement""]There is a new project in the works that aims to port Re-Volt to modern, cross-platform code utilizing OpenGL, OpenAL (Soft), SDL and Enet. We intend to deliver a faithful port of the original game (plus all the cool features of the v1.2 patch!) that runs natively on Windows and Linux.[/quote]
As far as I'm concerned I think that for a project, this is already ambitious enough. And the goal also seems well defined to me. And clear enough at the same time. Nobody with a brain can expect a whole new game from this statement.

I don't feel like speaking on its behalf, but when Huki said old v1.2, he's not implying that it's already old, or obsolete if that's what you mean, otherwise we wouldn't still be working on it, isn't it obvious? He just used that word with no intention but to distinguish the current v1.2 codebase, which is obviously older, from the RVGL (or call it whatever you like) codebase, which is obviously more recent. He could have used "regular" instead of "old" to make everyone happy, I don't know... and frankly at this point I don't give a <_<

Posted: 12 Feb 2015, 21:14
Kenny
jigebren @ Feb 12 2015, 04:04 PM wrote: Some don't enjoy the project name, some won't like the logo...
The main reason I was unhappy about the name is because it only consists of two letters, I mean how many games like that exist? :P
But I guess naming it something like RVGL fixes this issue well enough for me.

And regarding the logo, I said that it looked good, I just would be happier about a different style like I explained in my previous post (not that I could do something like that, I suck at image editing).
As far as I'm concerned I think that for a project, this is already ambitious enough. And the goal also seems well defined to me. And clear enough at the same time. Nobody with a brain can expect a whole new game from this statement.
I agree, I think most people just don't realize how much effort it takes to port a game to a different platform (or in this case, make it cross-platform compatible).
Of course its dependent on how portable the original code is to begin with but in this case its certainly a task that takes dedication.
I actually didn't expect it to end in a complete rewrite of the codebase but assuming there won't be too many issues with it (or at least issues that aren't easily fixable) I'm very happy and thankful about the overall direction of this project :)

Posted: 13 Feb 2015, 00:36
nero
jigebren @ Feb 12 2015, 03:04 PM wrote:I don't know... and frankly at this point I don't give a&nbsp; <_<
At this point I completely understand your attitude. People nitpicking at the slightest thing does get tiring after a short while.

Posted: 13 Feb 2015, 00:46
Huki
Phantom @ Feb 12 2015, 01:01 PM wrote:For the moment we don't know much about this project's aim apart from "it's being ported to OpenGL and will run on Linux". Therefore, it's not the same motivation that when 1.2 started. People knew what to expect then, there was a ToDo List with features that we all wanted while this "RV" doesn't, so we've no idea what to expect
The aim of the project (and "todo") should already be very clear from the announcement quoted by jig. I don't know what else to add. In general it can remove limitations and restrictions that exist in old - ahem, current 1.2. That means we can work freely on more features...
And of course, it motivates us to work further on re-volt graphics, network, etc., as we're both interested in learning / working with OpenGL and ENet, while we lack the same motivation to learn and use Direct3D / DirectPlay (and even if we wanted to, we'd be limited by the business decisions of MS, and by their buggy proprietary code). But I thought the motivation reason was obvious.. ;)
Phantom wrote:apart from "it will run on Linux"..
and windows 8...
Phantom wrote:
Huki wrote:When we first announced our idea to move away from old 1.2
I haven't said anything until now but I noticed that everytime you refer to v1.2 now you insist on calling it "the old 1.2" while it isn't old. :blink:
This is weird especially coming from its creator and because for the users it's the best thing that happened to Re-Volt and actually the newest and best way to play the game, there is no other new or better way to play Re-Volt yet.
I only use "old 1.2" when we are specifically discussing rvgl. For people interested in this project, 1.2 is obviously the older project. Otherwise we've always maintained that 1.2 is the latest stable thing available (otherwise why was the website updated even.. <_<). Check the latest release post, it says:
"Re-Volt v1.2 has been updated.
Download the new Alpha release here.
"
Does it say:
"Old Re-Volt v1.2 had been updated.
Download the outdated Alpha release here.
"
:rolleyes:

Posted: 13 Feb 2015, 00:58
Manmountain
How about :
ReVolt ReVisited

__R
__e
ReVolt
__i
__s
__i
__t
__e
__d

Posted: 13 Feb 2015, 01:08
Huki
Kenny @ Feb 12 2015, 09:14 PM wrote:
I agree, I think most people just don't realize how much effort it takes to port a game to a different platform (or in this case, make it cross-platform compatible).
Of course its dependent on how portable the original code is to begin with but in this case its certainly a task that takes dedication.
Thanks. FYI, I haven't announced this yet, but audio and music with soft_oal is already working. :)
Kenny wrote:I actually didn't expect it to end in a complete rewrite of the codebase but assuming there won't be too many issues with it (or at least issues that aren't easily fixable) I'm very happy and thankful about the overall direction of this project :)
Don't know if either of us have misunderstood something.. but are you thinking re-volt engine stuff like collision, physics, ai were completely rewritten? :blink:
What is true is that I didn't simply replace DirectX / WinAPI calls in the current codebase with cross-platform equivalents. Instead, I took the opportunity to do an overhaul / cleanup of the existing code base and some refactoring. Many components such as video, texture (and various other things) were first written from scratch, then the cleaned re-volt specific stuff from the codebase was ported in.
Maybe it would be easier to imagine from a screenshot.
On the left pane you can see some code from the new video component, and on the right pane, although the variables have gone through reorganization and refactoring, the UpdateTimeStep() code is unchanged.

Anyway, I think that's enough derailing the logo thread.. ;) [feel free to continue any remaining points in the "Future of v1.2" thread though]

Posted: 13 Feb 2015, 01:14
Kenny
Huki @ Feb 12 2015, 08:38 PM wrote: Instead, I took the opportunity to do an overhaul / cleanup of the existing code base and some refactoring. Many components such as video, texture (and various other things) were first written from scratch, then the cleaned re-volt specific stuff from the codebase was ported in.
Yes that's what I meant, perhaps I should have used the term "reorganization" instead of "rewrite" ;)

Posted: 13 Feb 2015, 02:38
ElectricBee
RVGL isn't going to be this amazing rewrite of Re-Volt 1.2, more than a project port. I think the first release of RVGL, at least for demo purposes shouldn't be more feature-rich, than function-rich.

Allow for some explanation for this bit of insight;

RVGL as it probably stands on their end now isn't as "Feature-complete" as Re-Volt 1.2 a15. There are some things in the latest available 1.2 a15 that may not exist in the publically-available 1.2 a15 that is available via RVZ's 1.2 page. Disregarding that, RVGL should end up being more function-complete, as in, it's a functional game, we can see how the AI works, maybe give people a chance to write some additional stuff to it (think about it like a public dev build), and all the awesome stuff from 1.2 now should be combined with the functions we want, and what features that are built around those functions would then be a secondary concern.

Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 16:31
bonz
I just skim read over this thread and hope I didn't completely miss the point.
But I think that the game's original name "Re-Volt" should stay and be featured prominently everywhere.

Maybe just adding a small sub-title like "OpenGL" or "revisited" or "V2.0" or "super-duper-version", but definitely not changing it to something obscure like "RVGL".

I'd prefer "Re-Volt 2.0", with the "2.0" part stamped below the old logo in a different color.
Codemasters named their last two Micro Machines games like that.

Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 17:25
Kenny
ElectricBee @ 12 Feb 2015, 10:08 PM wrote: RVGL isn't going to be this amazing rewrite of Re-Volt 1.2, more than a project port. I think the first release of RVGL, at least for demo purposes shouldn't be more feature-rich, than function-rich.
I think everyone with some programming experience is aware of that. Since the dependency changes are already big enough per se its only logical that the early (and probably even later) versions won't focus on any functional changes or feature new stuff (except maybe something that becomes available with the dependency changes).
Multiplayer might be an exception but since we have heard nothing about the plans there so far we shouldn't jump to any conclusions.
bonz wrote:But I think that the game's original name "Re-Volt" should stay and be featured prominently everywhere.

Maybe just adding a small sub-title like "OpenGL" or "revisited" or "V2.0" or "super-duper-version", but definitely not changing it to something obscure like "RVGL".
1) a different name helps to differentiate the project from earlier versions which makes users more aware of the fact that there are some bigger changes introduced with it and avoids confusion regaring version identification

2) its also useful to avoid any possible legal issues with using the name of the game itself (I know, this hasn't been an issue so far but it definitely doesn't hurt to exclude the possibility)

3) its not really a different name but more an abbreviation of the original name and Open GL (many users referred to the game as "rv" ever since its original release) so I don't really get why you think of it as an obscure name choice

Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 22:51
Phantom
bonz @ 3 Mar 2015, 08:01 AM wrote: I just skim read over this thread and hope I didn't completely miss the point.
But I think that the game's original name "Re-Volt" should stay and be featured prominently everywhere.

I'd prefer "Re-Volt 2.0", with the "2.0" part stamped below the old logo in a different color.
Codemasters named their last two Micro Machines games like that.
Good idea. +1

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 04:35
Matsilagi
Cool logo!
As for name, for me its either RVGL or GLVolt, other names makes no sense, the game isnt something 100% new.

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 06:27
Hessen
While we are going offtopic I would also like to throw my idea in here.
My personal choice for the name would be Re-Volt+ as it does now imply that it is a sequel or a different game but that it is an improved version of the original game. It also stays somewhat with the battery/electricity theme the original name has. The reason why I don't like RVGL as much is that the average person does not know what OpenGL is except that it is related to programming, if they know what it is at all.
It must be said though that I would be perfectly fine with either name.

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 07:24
jigebren
Hessen @ 4 Mar 2015, 01:57 AM wrote:My personal choice for the name would be Re-Volt+
You mean Re-Volt++ ? ^_^

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 07:50
Phantom
The odd moment when you realize that it was a developer's joke. ;)

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 10:42
zorbah
maybe should be named Re-re-volt? :lol:
ok, this bad joke had to be told

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:12
Kenny
Why not name it Re-Volt Plus or Re-Volt 2? Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:13
jigebren
zorbah @ 4 Mar 2015, 06:12 AM wrote:maybe should be named Re-re-volt?&nbsp; :lol:
re-re = 0
so:
re-re-volt = 0-volt
that is to say:
re-re-volt = -volt :wacko:

Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:46
Abc
:o :P :huh: :ph43r: :blink: :wacko: :WTF: :pickup: :[%]: